Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 man squad

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It's tough not to think SB only kept the job because the club knew how much of a struggle it would be to sign 1 Better Baldock, let alone 2 of them.
    Baldock has only played in 10 or more consecutive ONCE since joining the Albion.
    He couldn't even manage 10+ consecutive games when across 2 seasons.
    Or perhaps it was actually as Hughton described him when he signed the new 3 year deal, He is "a key member of the squad" , who has played 60 times for Hughton in the last 2 seasons, last season scored 11 vital goals and several assists to (help) get us promoted.
    Instead of the guff that a) they don't really want him b) he never ever plays c) they can't afford or are unable to sign another (similar) forward alongside him in the squad. (except for Gross, Brown, & Izquierdo).

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Nobody has ever said the Albion don't want Baldock.
      Nobody has said he never ever plays.
      Gross and Brown aren't similar to Baldock.
      Currently Izquierdo isn't a Brighton player.

Other than that, carry on.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

0 Not allowed!
      I would like to see James Tilley get a space on the bench. He seems to know where the goal is and could be a surprise package in the PL.

Does he have to take one of the 25 man squad places or is he exempt due to him being home grown?

TNBA

TTF

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Nobody has ever said the Albion don't want Baldock.
      Nobody has said he never ever plays.
      Gross and Brown aren't similar to Baldock.
      Currently Izquierdo isn't a Brighton player.

Other than that, carry on.
      I will.

You seem to be arguing that the club only want him and gave him a contract because we were incapable of finding a replacement or forking out the cash for one. A rather lukewarm definition of being wanted but ok fair enough.
      You seem rather convinced he doesn't play much at all which is why you keep telling us he's out for 10 games at a stretch every 2 minutes. Presumably you think he's of little value to the squad otherwise why keep saying he's a injury liability but if thats not what you're arguing then fair enough.
      You don't think we have players that are similar to Baldock . Fair enough. But we do seem to have 3 new additions to the squad this season ( Gross, Brown and Izquierdo ) in a team thats playing 4-4-1-1 , have already filled that slot this season and are competing with him for place in the team. But agreed they aren't similar.

Yep. The club never managed to sign Pritchard. Baldock gets injured. Is that it ? Anything else you want to add.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Valkyrie View Post
      With Baldock's recovery dragging on and on and on, I do wonder if he'll actually make the 25 man squad, or whether he'll be looking at the January squad instead.
      I might be wrong, but I think Baldock will be needed to be in the 25 to make up the 8 English players required for the squad, with the current players signed.

0 Not allowed!
      I suspect Baldock's injury is far worse than we know, to the point I'm not convinced the club know 100% what is wrong and are treating the symptoms as they occur but have not yet got to the root of the problem. I therefore think it's highly unlikely he'll be in the 25, not because he's not wanted, but because he won't be fully fit before the next window.

I do hope I'm wrong though.
      'Cause I know that you know that we know they don't know what's going on.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by fosters headband View Post
      I might be wrong, but I think Baldock will be needed to be in the 25 to make up the 8 English players required for the squad, with the current players signed.
      If that were the case, I'd think it would be far more likely that we'd name Izzy Brown. Just because we don't need to (being U21) doesn't mean we can't.
      'Cause I know that you know that we know they don't know what's going on.
      Objective but passionate

0 Not allowed!
      There is no such requirement, though.

'Home Grown' does NOT mean 'English'.

Shane Duffy, for example (at Everton since 17 years old) is 'home grown'.

A Home Grown Player, as defined by the Premier League, is a player who: (a) is 21 or older on January 1 of the year in which that season begins; and (b) spent three years between the ages of 16 and 21 with a team in the English football League system.

Two important common misconceptions to clear up: this rule applies regardless of nationality, so you do NOT have to be English/Welsh to be a Home Grown Player. Wojciech Szczesny is a Home Grown Player, as is Cesc Fabregas, as a result of spending three years between the ages of 16 to 21 with a League team.

Which brings me to the other common misconception – you don’t have to be at the same club that developed you to be a Home Grown Player. Fabregas will count as a Home Grown Player for Chelsea as a result of his development years at Arsenal. Danny Welbeck will count as a Home Grown Player for Arsenal as a result of his development years at Manchester United.
      Last edited by Exile; 15-08-2017 at 12:50.
      Stand or Fall
      Muslamic Infidel

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner's Fridge View Post
      I would like to see James Tilley get a space on the bench. He seems to know where the goal is and could be a surprise package in the PL.

Does he have to take one of the 25 man squad places or is he exempt due to him being home grown?

TNBA

TTF
      There is no exemption for home grown players, there has to be a certain number of them named in the squad. The exemption is for under 21 players, this season it is any player born on or after January 1st 1996 that don't need to be named in the squad.

It isn't English players, it is home grown players. They can be any nationality but need to have registered to a club affiliated to the FA or the Welsh FA for 36 months before their 21st birthday.
      Artist formerly known as joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo View Post
      There is no exemption for home grown players, there has to be a certain number of them named in the squad. The exemption is for under 21 players, this season it is any player born on or after January 1st 1996 that don't need to be named in the squad.

It isn't English players, it is home grown players. They can be any nationality but need to have registered to a club affiliated to the FA or the Welsh FA for 36 months before their 21st birthday.
      I do understand that and was for instance aware that Duffy qualifies as home grown due to signing so young for Everton, but I was surprised to find out that Murphy does not qualify.