Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 man squad

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With Baldock's recovery dragging on and on and on, I do wonder if he'll actually make the 25 man squad, or whether he'll be looking at the January squad instead.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
With Baldock's recovery dragging on and on and on, I do wonder if he'll actually make the 25 man squad, or whether he'll be looking at the January squad instead.

He's just been given a lucrative
New contract (Hemed hasn't - yet) so absolutely part of CH plans and is actually already in "light" training. Nothing is certain about SB fitness but
he will be in the 25.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's just been given a lucrative
New contract (Hemed hasn't - yet) so absolutely part of CH plans and is actually already in "light" training. Nothing is certain about SB fitness but
he will be in the 25.
Yes, but the outlook now seems more downbeat.

In today's argus :

"Baldock meanwhile, remains some way from a return to action after missing the whole of pre-season.

Hughton said: “He is not one at this moment that’s going to be close. He had minor surgery on his calf in the summer. We were never sure how long it was going to take.

“We hoped it was going to be sooner, but at this moment we still anticipate it being a fair period of time.”

"

So how long is that ? October ? November ? At some point his nomination in the first 25 man squad comes into doubt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, but the outlook now seems more downbeat.

In today's argus :

"Baldock meanwhile, remains some way from a return to action after missing the whole of pre-season.

Hughton said: “He is not one at this moment that’s going to be close. He had minor surgery on his calf in the summer. We were never sure how long it was going to take.

“We hoped it was going to be sooner, but at this moment we still anticipate it being a fair period of time.”

"

So how long is that ? October ? November ? At some point his nomination in the first 25 man squad comes into doubt.

But we are sure:-

- Pick a date.
- Add 2 months.
- Play 5 games.

then repeat.

It doesn't look good when highlighted:-

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sam-baldock/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/67211/verein/1237

It's tough not to think SB only kept the job because the club knew how much of a struggle it would be to sign 1 Better Baldock, let alone 2 of them.

Baldock has only played in 10 or more consecutive ONCE since joining the Albion.
He couldn't even manage 10+ consecutive games when across 2 seasons.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Somewhere between @statbrother who can't recall
Him playing a game in 3 years let alone the 31 he chalked up last season (i.e.: never) and "after the international break"
He will be in the squad as will Kayal and Izzy Brown

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
But we are sure:-

- Pick a date.
- Add 2 months.
- Play 5 games.

then repeat.

It doesn't look good when highlighted:-

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sam-baldock/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/67211/verein/1237

It's tough not to think SB only kept the job because the club knew how much of a struggle it would be to sign 1 Better Baldock, let alone 2 of them.

Baldock has only played in 10 or more consecutive ONCE since joining the Albion.

After play five games you missed out go crowd surfing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After play five games you missed out go crowd surfing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lol: but remember he did that during this current injury crisis.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Or perhaps it was actually as Hughton described him when he signed the new 3 year deal, He is "a key member of the squad" , who has played 60 times for Hughton in the last 2 seasons, last season scored 11 vital goals and several assists to (help) get us promoted.
Instead of the guff that a) they don't really want him b) he never ever plays c) they can't afford or are unable to sign another (similar) forward alongside him in the squad. (except for Gross, Brown, & Izquierdo).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody has ever said the Albion don't want Baldock.
Nobody has said he never ever plays.
Gross and Brown aren't similar to Baldock.
Currently Izquierdo isn't a Brighton player.

Other than that, carry on.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I would like to see James Tilley get a space on the bench. He seems to know where the goal is and could be a surprise package in the PL.

Does he have to take one of the 25 man squad places or is he exempt due to him being home grown?

TNBA

TTF

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nobody has ever said the Albion don't want Baldock.
Nobody has said he never ever plays.
Gross and Brown aren't similar to Baldock.
Currently Izquierdo isn't a Brighton player.

Other than that, carry on.

I will. :)

You seem to be arguing that the club only want him and gave him a contract because we were incapable of finding a replacement or forking out the cash for one. A rather lukewarm definition of being wanted but ok fair enough.
You seem rather convinced he doesn't play much at all which is why you keep telling us he's out for 10 games at a stretch every 2 minutes. Presumably you think he's of little value to the squad otherwise why keep saying he's a injury liability but if thats not what you're arguing then fair enough.
You don't think we have players that are similar to Baldock . Fair enough. But we do seem to have 3 new additions to the squad this season ( Gross, Brown and Izquierdo ) in a team thats playing 4-4-1-1 , have already filled that slot this season and are competing with him for place in the team. But agreed they aren't similar.

Yep. The club never managed to sign Pritchard. Baldock gets injured. Is that it ? Anything else you want to add.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I might be wrong, but I think Baldock will be needed to be in the 25 to make up the 8 English players required for the squad, with the current players signed.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I suspect Baldock's injury is far worse than we know, to the point I'm not convinced the club know 100% what is wrong and are treating the symptoms as they occur but have not yet got to the root of the problem. I therefore think it's highly unlikely he'll be in the 25, not because he's not wanted, but because he won't be fully fit before the next window.

I do hope I'm wrong though.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I might be wrong, but I think Baldock will be needed to be in the 25 to make up the 8 English players required for the squad, with the current players signed.

If that were the case, I'd think it would be far more likely that we'd name Izzy Brown. Just because we don't need to (being U21) doesn't mean we can't.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

There is no such requirement, though.

'Home Grown' does NOT mean 'English'.

Shane Duffy, for example (at Everton since 17 years old) is 'home grown'.

A Home Grown Player, as defined by the Premier League, is a player who: (a) is 21 or older on January 1 of the year in which that season begins; and (b) spent three years between the ages of 16 and 21 with a team in the English football League system.

Two important common misconceptions to clear up: this rule applies regardless of nationality, so you do NOT have to be English/Welsh to be a Home Grown Player. Wojciech Szczesny is a Home Grown Player, as is Cesc Fabregas, as a result of spending three years between the ages of 16 to 21 with a League team.

Which brings me to the other common misconception – you don’t have to be at the same club that developed you to be a Home Grown Player. Fabregas will count as a Home Grown Player for Chelsea as a result of his development years at Arsenal. Danny Welbeck will count as a Home Grown Player for Arsenal as a result of his development years at Manchester United.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I would like to see James Tilley get a space on the bench. He seems to know where the goal is and could be a surprise package in the PL.

Does he have to take one of the 25 man squad places or is he exempt due to him being home grown?

TNBA

TTF

There is no exemption for home grown players, there has to be a certain number of them named in the squad. The exemption is for under 21 players, this season it is any player born on or after January 1st 1996 that don't need to be named in the squad.

It isn't English players, it is home grown players. They can be any nationality but need to have registered to a club affiliated to the FA or the Welsh FA for 36 months before their 21st birthday.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
There is no exemption for home grown players, there has to be a certain number of them named in the squad. The exemption is for under 21 players, this season it is any player born on or after January 1st 1996 that don't need to be named in the squad.

It isn't English players, it is home grown players. They can be any nationality but need to have registered to a club affiliated to the FA or the Welsh FA for 36 months before their 21st birthday.

I do understand that and was for instance aware that Duffy qualifies as home grown due to signing so young for Everton, but I was surprised to find out that Murphy does not qualify.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here