Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 man squad

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
If both the midfielder slot and striker slot are filled with NHGPs, then we either need to keep Goldson, recall Norwood or sign an HGP player to include in his place, but in the unlikely event that either new player is HG... then we're cool.

Nail on the head. Most likely option for me is Goldson staying now, much to his frustration.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
People are suggesting we might now recall Norwood, but do we know for sure that is even an option? I don't know the ins-and-outs of the loan regulations well enough: can the loaning club automatically (and unilaterally) recall a season-long loan player in January? Or does a clause to that effect have to have been specifically included in the loan agreement? And if so, do we know for sure that it is included in Norwood's agreement?

All of this, of course, doesn't even take into account the issue of whether Hughton would even want Norwood back in his Premier League squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't forget that to name 24 and wait for a free agent is only possible if we have 24 or less players.

Ahannach and LuaLua are on the books so they'd have to be loaned / sold to pursue this strategy.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
People are suggesting we might now recall Norwood, but do we know for sure that is even an option? I don't know the ins-and-outs of the loan regulations well enough: can the loaning club automatically (and unilaterally) recall a season-long loan player in January? Or does a clause to that effect have to have been specifically included in the loan agreement? And if so, do we know for sure that it is included in Norwood's agreement?

All of this, of course, doesn't even take into account the issue of whether Hughton would even want Norwood back in his Premier League squad.

To shed some light on my own question, this article from the Sun in February would suggest that a recall option would need to have been agreed in advance:-

Players on a season-long loan can be recalled by parent clubs in the January transfer window but only if the two clubs have agreed a recall clause in advance.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
No point having a player in the squad that's not even made the matchday 18 most games

There will always be a number of players who don't make the 18. That happens if you have a squad of 25.
You don't need them until you need them (Suspensions, injuries, illness, cup runs) . Doesn't mean you don't have them.
Otherwise its goodbye Rosenior, Skalak, and Maenpaa for starters.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Don't forget that to name 24 and wait for a free agent is only possible if we have 24 or less players.

Ahannach and LuaLua are on the books so they'd have to be loaned / sold to pursue this strategy.
Surely the club can just leave them out of the 25 man squad if they choose? Even if they're on the books I can't see why Brighton would be forced to name them as part of the squad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely the club can just leave them out of the 25 man squad if they choose? Even if they're on the books I can't see why Brighton would be forced to name them as part of the squad.

I’m pretty sure we’ve done this before and if you have a player under contract he is part of your squad if you have 25 or fewer.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017

This is what I thought, surely they can just be banished to the U23 side if they're surplus to our squad

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Just because they're on the books, it doesn't mean they have to be included in the 25 man squad, does it? True, paying wages to players that we cannot pick to play is wasting money, but I don't think it's against the rules.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is what I thought, surely they can just be banished to the U23 side if they're surplus to our squad
Just because they're on the books, it doesn't mean they have to be included in the 25 man squad, does it? True, paying wages to players that we cannot pick to play is wasting money, but I don't think it's against the rules.
They don't have to be named in the squad.

BUT...

...To bring in a free agent to the squad after Feb 1st you are not allowed to have other over 21 players already on the books who could have been included in the squad on Jan 31st.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

They don't have to be named in the squad.

BUT...

...To bring in a free agent to the squad after Feb 1st you are not allowed to have other over 21 players already on the books who could have been included in the squad on Jan 31st.

This would suggest (as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] indicates above) that eligible contracted players DO have to be named in the 25-man squad - New Premier League 25-man squad rules explained

9) Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this case they can add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This would suggest (as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] indicates above) that eligible contracted players DO have to be named in the 25-man squad - New Premier League 25-man squad rules explained
Damn the small print - always a pain!

Best leave Norwood at Fulham, then, to leave us a bit of Wriggle room? And there must be some team, lower down the leagues, who would like LuaLua for half a season?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Damn the small print - always a pain!

Best leave Norwood at Fulham, then, to leave us a bit of Wriggle room? And there must be some team, lower down the leagues, who would like LuaLua for half a season?
We don't really need any wriggle room to leave spaces in the squad for future free agents.

We need replacements in the 25 for Murphy and Sidwell by Feb 1st.

And also, hopefully, another U21 to replace Brown.

So, if on Jan 31st we haven't replaced Sidwell, recalling Norwood would be the smart move.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yeah, I'd far rather we end Jan with a named 25 than to have an empty space. Free agents that are going to fill the spot we want are going to be thin on the ground. Mostly just asked out of interest as to how the squad naming rules work in situations like this, and got my answer (through a string of replies).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Welcome Jurgen :)

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
HGP = Home Grown Player - we can only name up to 17 non-HGPs

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Knockaert
17. Izquierdo
18. March (HGP)
19. Skalak
20. Groß
21. New Signing ( Izzy Brown / Sidwell replacement )
22. Locadia
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Welcome Jurgen :)

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
HGP = Home Grown Player - we can only name up to 17 non-HGPs

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Knockaert
17. Izquierdo
18. March (HGP)
19. Skalak
20. Groß
21. New Signing ( Izzy Brown / Sidwell replacement )
22. Locadia
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

I thought we have to name 8 home grown players, which means an English replacement for Sidwell (injured but could be included) and possibly an English replacement for Goldson (if he goes out on loan)?

Moussa Dembélé is home grown?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought we have to name 8 home grown players, which means an English replacement for Sidwell (injured but could be included) and possibly an English replacement for Goldson (if he goes out on loan)?

No. There are 8 HGPs in there. If Goldson goes out on loan, we'll have to get some other HGP in.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Home grown players don’t have to be English. To be a home grown player they need to have been on the books of an FA or FAW affiliated club for 36 months (not necessarily consecutively) prior to their 21st birthday. It’s how Tim Krul is one and Glenn Murray isn’t.

Dembele is a HGP but for this season he qualifies as an under 21 so couldn’t be named in the 25 man squad.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No. There are 8 HGPs in there. If Goldson goes out on loan, we'll have to get some other HGP in.

I overlooked Tim Krul. Good signing.

Irrelevant anyway but:
Moussa Dembélé is under 21 so he does not have to be in the 25 man EPL squads.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here