Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Health checks

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I went for a routine check-up in the autumn of 2010. Just blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, not much. I got passed with an "excellent shape for my age" (then 48).

Striding home congratulating myself on being such a fine specimen of a man, I managed to do a classic 'banana skin' slip on the only two wet leaves to have fallen from the trees so far that autumn. Landed with my full weight on my elbow, snapping the lower arm bone in two. Had to have an operation to have it nailed back in place. I still have two pins and a coil of wire in my elbow, I get regular 'old shrapnel wound' pains from it, and I've been told not to expect ever to be able to straighten my arm fully again (I still can't, nearly 7 years on).

Doctor didn't warn me about that. They clearly know nothing.

Unrelated odd coincidence: although this happened in the Netherlands, the Dutch surgeon who operated on me was married to a woman from Rustington, where my dad lived for 21 years...

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The last time I went to a hospital was to get my very very very deep voice looked at. The doctor suggested it was due to my very large penis. So I took his advise and had my penis chopped off. Anyway, once the swelling had gone down my voice had gone the other way and was way too high. So I went back to the hospital and asked if he could sew my large penis back on. He said, in a very very very deep voice "I'm sorry Sir but that won't now be possible"

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah, the last 3 years could have been better. Bowel cancer then kidney failure was inconvenient. Dialysis is not too bad, though, can't really work due to the time it takes, but I dialyse at home which is good. I did almost lose a hand in March, due to infection. My next op is Sep 1st, if it goes ahead.

All in all, I'm doing ok, thank you very much, it might not sound like it :)

Inspirational attitude! All the best for 1/9.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But with respect, whats the point of having a £800.00 one three years ago and none since ?

Probably I described it poorly but, in more detail, I used to spend £800 spread over 12m for a healthcheck. Did it alternate years. The last one was three years ago. Would have carried on but I couldn't access the results through the Nuffield portal due to the crap software. They wouldn't send a hardcopy, so £800 for no results. They mugged me once, but not again.
Actually £800 may have been me and Mrs Earle rather than just me, but neither of us got our results.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I am lucky enough to say that I have a work annual health check and it is a very thorough all day check.

Not sure whether I'd pay for it if my work didn't cover it but if I could afford to I probably would.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Shit. Really sorry to hear this.

Personally, my main concern is running. Every so often I run marathons and I train pretty hard for them and run them reasonably quickly so I put my body under a lot of stress at my age. I also lead an active life and rarely sit still for more than 10 minutes. I just want reasonable reassurance my heart does not explode during a long run. I have the attitude of when my time is up it's up but equally I want to be sensible.

I believe that we can take care of the obvious things, some will be in denial about cacers and heart attacks, but I was aware in the 70s of the link betweeen lung cancer and smoking and even though a soldier for twelve years, I consciously chose not to smoke. if what we have is genetic, and I am informed that much is, we must make the best of it while we are here and that includes a result against Man City!!!

You have been an adversary on here for a number of years, all good fun, thanks for the reply.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is nothing wrong with me (as far as I know) that loosing a third of my body weight wouldn't cure.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am lucky enough to say that I have a work annual health check and it is a very thorough all day check.

Not sure whether I'd pay for it if my work didn't cover it but if I could afford to I probably would.

But again and I apologise for keeping on at this, yours isnt a good example of why others might think it is a worthwhile thing to have done.

You as an otherwise healthy person with no symptoms has gone for a check and from what I can guess the results came back that you have nothing obvious at that moment that might be deemed cause for concern.

The worth of these check surely must be when you feel fit and healthy and they then find something that you otherwise wouldnt have known about if you hadnt had the health check and just as important is that they can then take steps to improve the outcome.

I am sure there are examples out there but I suspect the percentage of those that find something above things that perhaps we could assess and monitor and modify ourselves would be quite small.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Blimey. I'm amazed you always seem to have an upbeat nature about yourself...I'm not sure I'd be the same. Best wishes.

Well, despite the above, I'm not unhappy at all. Being a frequent visitor to the hospital I see some people much worse off than me. I may be forced to be at home a lot, but it turns out I love being at home with my cats most of the day .. after 25 years commuting to London, who knew it was so nice staying indoors !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here