Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Guardian's Assessment - From nowhere to the Premier League

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks, I was waiting for Brighton's' turn in these daily articles. Written by someone with knowledge of us, not a lazy piece.

It was the Guardian writers who voted for us to finish bottom. An intelligent bunch, very aware of a lack of meaningful signings.

The key section:
"The message on transfer activity from Bloom was clear in the wake of promotion – “we’ll do things on a gradual basis” – but there is an argument that thinking outside the box may not prove sufficient."

Come next May will TB's strategy for PL survival prove successful, or sadly insufficient.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Thanks, I was waiting for Brighton's' turn in these daily articles. Written by someone with knowledge of us, not a lazy piece.

It's the Guardian writers that've voted for us to finish bottom. An intelligent readership, very aware of a lack of meaningful signings.

The key section:
"The message on transfer activity from Bloom was clear in the wake of promotion – “we’ll do things on a gradual basis” – but there is an argument that thinking outside the box may not prove sufficient."

Come next May will TB's strategy for PL survival prove successful, or prove sadly insufficient.

Yep, it's hard to argue with much of it. These writers are going on what they can judge at this current time, with the players we HAVE got.

Can't argue with the fact that we are currently over reliant on a spine who are completely unproven at Premier League level. (Ryan, Dunk, Stephens and Murray)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Guardian writers’ predicted position 20th (NB: this is not necessarily Ben Fisher’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)

Last season’s position 2nd (Championship)

Odds to win the league (via Oddschecker) 1,500-1

The size of the task facing Brighton & Hove Albion needs no introduction but a little context might help. Their first Premier League opponents, Manchester City, handed over more money for a pair of glistening full-backs this summer than the £93m (plus £5m of close-season upgrades) Brighton paid for their impressive Amex Stadium, nestled away in the South Downs and an undoubted catalyst for their success. Brighton though, on the brink of non-league football 20 years ago, will relish the big stage and the battle to stay there, finally among top-flight company after three near misses.

More >>> https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/aug/01/premier-league-2017-18-preview-brighton

Last edited by a moderator:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Fair and realistic assessment.
Personally, as things stand, I think we will struggle to avoid relegation.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Very fair article, need to keep the team spirit going and not let heads drop, things will get tough

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very fair article, need to keep the team spirit going and not let heads drop, things will get tough

They'll not be many bullied points gained from team spirit.
Team spirit doesn't amount to much at what will be our end of the division.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure about that - it's vital for picking yourself up after a defeat.
How many games, last season, did we witness the opposition scoring then collectively act like:-

'Oh shite we've scored, they're gonna be angry, now what do we do?'

I'm crap at this but even I can instantly rattle off Brum, Fulham & Brentford.

The team, players and their collective team spirit bullied it's way through the division.
Now we're the school kids with our shirts tucked into our pants, carrying a briefcase, team spirit isn't scaring anyone.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Am I the only one who doesn't think we're going to go straight back down?

It was so tight last season. Six points between 18th and 17th. Then incredibly six points between 17th and 8th.

It'll be tough but I reckon we'll do it.

You are of course correct. But Middlesborough arguably strengthened more than we have, and finished 12 points off the drop.

That's another 4 wins needed. Quite a lot given they only managed 5 wins in the entire season.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Got to love Guardian comments, this comment shows the naievity of some football fans:

Theherobarry
45m ago
1 2

"It's a fairytale. Didn't quite go bust and didn't actually get relegated, and with only the help of a millionaire benefactor and a stadium sponsored by a major credit card, these plucky underdogs fought their way past the collective might of Preston, Bristol City and Burton Albion to the very very top! Go underdogs from that charming town full of hipsters that people from London really like."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here