Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Guardian's Assessment - From nowhere to the Premier League

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
They are correct. TB and PB need to wake up and smell the coffee. Invest in a ST and CM now, not at the end of the window or we will massively increase our chances of the drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Already have thanks to several Palace/B'uff faithful. They've quite a soft spot for Glenn. Given he's scored 23 goals for us last season and got us promoted, Hughton thinks he's a key part of the squad then i'm guessing most Albion fans have too and are happy for him to be given a chance. but fair enough, you presumably think he should be for sale then ?

I think there's a difference between wanting him sold, and perhaps doubting whether he's the main goalscorer to keep us up (which he currently is) on his own up top (which seems how we will play).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I think there's a difference between wanting him sold, and perhaps doubting whether he's the main goalscorer to keep us up (which he currently is) on his own up top (which seems how we will play).

If the club say they're looking for another striker which clearly they are (see the pursuit of Abraham, and all reporting) then why the doubt over whether he will be our main or only centre forward. He presumably won't be unless the club are either a) liars b) won't be able to get a deal done in the next month.

As for whether he's proven or not (see original point) then I'd argue, some on NSC disagree, he's shown enough that he can operate at that level. Obviously he's now 33 but 30something CFs in the Prem aren't unusual. See Defoe for example.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If the club say they're looking for another striker which clearly they are (see the pursuit of Abraham, and all reporting) then why the doubt over whether he will be our main or only centre forward.

As for whether he's proven or not (see OP) then I'd argue he's shown enough that he can operate at that level. Obviously he's now 33 but 30something CFs in the Prem aren't unusual.

Does it not get boring be so far up the clubs arse?

Why cant you see his point that, Murray leading the line is a concern for a full season, with no current first choice option there is a concern there.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Firstly I think we will stay up, just. Secondly I wouldn't take any notice of anything the Guardian writes. Bunch of scruffy , mainly young and naive left wingers, who think the world owes them a living. . Not really the best types to start handing out advice. Stick to being social workers.

Curious to see this research done into the age and appearance of Guardian journalists. Got a link?

Not that age, appearance or political leanings matter a jot in sport journalism. Which is why I find myself reading the surprisingly well written and informative sport section of the Daily Mail; despite the rest of the paper being filled with the complete antithesis of my political views.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Does it not get boring be so far up the clubs arse?

Why cant you see his point that, Murray leading the line is a concern for a full season, with no current first choice option there is a concern there.

No. Its lovely up there.
As for Murray I agree with you about being our sole striker and relying on him for a full season. What i disagree is the argument that he's "not up to it". I believe he can play a role. Whether up the arse or out of the arse.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No. Its lovely up there.
As for Murray I agree with you about being our sole striker and relying on him for a full season. What i disagree is the argument that he's "not up to it". I believe he can play a role. Whether up the arse or out of the arse.

So do I and the original poster said that too, you just went out of your way to try and tell him otherwise.

To be fair a little more rounded view is always good to hear, than everything is magical and the club have got this.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Already have thanks to several Palace/B'uff faithful. They've quite a soft spot for Glenn. Given he's scored 23 goals for us last season and got us promoted, Hughton thinks he's a key part of the squad then i'm guessing most Albion fans have too and are happy for him to be given a chance. but fair enough, you presumably think he should be for sale then ?

Really? The Palace fans i have all spoken to dont, they point out straight away that he is not got enough for the league. Hence why he left them. No i dont think he should be for sale but used as a back up. You cannot seriously tell me you expect our current strike force to cope?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Firstly I think we will stay up, just. Secondly I wouldn't take any notice of anything the Guardian writes. Bunch of scruffy , mainly young and naive left wingers, who think the world owes them a living. . Not really the best types to start handing out advice. Stick to being social workers.

So is Paul Hayward (Daily Telegraph or maybe Daily Mail these days), a blue tinged Tory Boy then??

Bottom line is, they are all Sports Writers, nothing to do with politics.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm going to enjoy being in the Prem. I know we won't win many, but we might do enough to stay up. If we don't, well, I loved being in the Championship, and, who knows, we might even get back up again, like others have done.
There's no point in finding negatives in everything, as life is too short.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The write up was ok and I can see us being regarded as favourites to go down by journos and other fans.

The film however was magnificent and really told the story well.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Thought it was a great article - solid signings - sign effective players to survive - articulated very well what I think.

Club is in safe hands - you only need to watch the video too see how important that is (Kerry Mayo also blocks me out of the footage holding up the banner)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'm going to enjoy being in the Prem. I know we won't win many, but we might do enough to stay up. If we don't, well, I loved being in the Championship, and, who knows, we might even get back up again, like others have done.

This also articulates my sentiments

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
An excellent, well written, well researched, thoughtful, measured and balanced article from The Guardian.

I thought it was boring, no insight, and just a bit of a hack job.

Text not the video.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Fair and realistic assessment.
Personally, as things stand, I think we will struggle to avoid relegation.

For me an impossibility with our current squad. We are so short of pace and strength it's laughable, especially with the start of the season just around the corner.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Completely and utterly this. The negative posters on here (different to a bit of constructive criticism) - and we all know who the usual suspects are - who are first to post if we lose or concede a goal or if we don't sign Messi can do what they like - I'm going to enjoy this season regardless. I suspect those posters are already looking forward to the Man City game so they rush to be first to rush their endless bile of negativity should we lose.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Got to love Guardian comments, this comment shows the naievity of some football fans:

Theherobarry
45m ago
1 2

"It's a fairytale. Didn't quite go bust and didn't actually get relegated, and with only the help of a millionaire benefactor and a stadium sponsored by a major credit card, these plucky underdogs fought their way past the collective might of Preston, Bristol City and Burton Albion to the very very top! Go underdogs from that charming town full of hipsters that people from London really like."

I very much enjoyed replying to this particular comment on the Guardian website (I post there as Fender62)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here