Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Guardian's Assessment - From nowhere to the Premier League

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Got to love Guardian comments, this comment shows the naievity of some football fans:

Theherobarry
45m ago
1 2

"It's a fairytale. Didn't quite go bust and didn't actually get relegated, and with only the help of a millionaire benefactor and a stadium sponsored by a major credit card, these plucky underdogs fought their way past the collective might of Preston, Bristol City and Burton Albion to the very very top! Go underdogs from that charming town full of hipsters that people from London really like."

Bless

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Not sure what the odds are on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if all 3 promoted teams from last season stay up in the Premier League come the end of this season. There are several clubs already in the Premier League that have problems they need to address.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Wonder what makes them think that we'll finish below Huddersfield? Last season we finished 12 points above them and they finished on negative goal difference, we were by far the superior team.

Probably just the fact that they've spent more than us this season, but we're still stronger in most positions than they are.

It's a better assessment than most of the ones we've seen, but it's still lazy to account spending more money with success.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Am I the only one who doesn't think we're going to go straight back down?

It was so tight last season. Six points between 18th and 17th. Then incredibly six points between 17th and 8th.

It'll be tough but I reckon we'll do it.

Nope not the only one..and heck who wants a boring mid table position when we can have an exciting relegation battle :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wonder what makes them think that we'll finish below Huddersfield? Last season we finished 12 points above them and they finished on negative goal difference, we were by far the superior team.

Probably just the fact that they've spent more than us this season, but we're still stronger in most positions than they are.

It's a better assessment than most of the ones we've seen, but it's still lazy to account spending more money with success.

I reckon it's not just money spent, but on whom.
The three relatively left-field permanent senior signings – Mathew Ryan, Markus Suttner and Pascal Gross – are intriguing, low-risk signings. Has to be code for 'I have no idea who these players are'.

While the relative strength of last season team doesn't really amount to much in the first season of the Premier League.
Citing Bournemouth and Burnley doesn't really inspire confidence either.

I'll hazard a guess if the elusive striker, who was approved of, had arrived before writing the Albion might have moved up a place or 2.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I reckon it's not just money spent, but on whom.
The three relatively left-field permanent senior signings – Mathew Ryan, Markus Suttner and Pascal Gross – are intriguing, low-risk signings. Has to be code for 'I have no idea who these players are'.

While the relative strength of last season team doesn't really amount to much in the first season of the Premier League.
Citing Bournemouth and Burnley doesn't really inspire confidence either.

I'll hazard a guess if the elusive striker, who was approved of, had arrived before writing the Albion might have moved up a place or 2.

and if Delaney had arrived.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Very fair article, need to keep the team spirit going and not let heads drop, things will get tough
I think the policy is probably very much see where we are in January and how the current squad are coping and then maybe splash the cash then. By then it could well be too late of course.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Whilst I sincerely hope we get more players in before the start of the season.

Ultimately, it's the team's togetherness that could well prove to be the main factor in staying up as it did getting us up.

I think the policy is probably very much see where we are in January and how the current squad are coping and then maybe splash the cash then. By then it could well be too late of course.

That's contrary to what TB believes, I can't remember when he said it but he hates business in January.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You are of course correct. But Middlesborough arguably strengthened more than we have, and finished 12 points off the drop.

That's another 4 wins needed. Quite a lot given they only managed 5 wins in the entire season.

Middlesbrough is a bad example of a club to whom we should be compared.

They may have spent, but as has been proved, spending doesn't necessarily equate to success. Look at Newcastle and Leicester the season before last.

Boro was a basket case last season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[/B]

and if Delaney had arrived.

The message on transfer activity from Bloom was clear in the wake of promotion – “we’ll do things on a gradual basis” – but there is an argument that thinking outside the box may not prove sufficient.

All the time that quote isn't a bluff, we can't be surprised that free spending Huddersfield catch the eye of journalists, who, with the best will in the world, don't understand individual Championship clubs the way their own supporters do.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Got to love Guardian comments, this comment shows the naievity of some football fans:

Theherobarry
45m ago
1 2

"It's a fairytale. Didn't quite go bust and didn't actually get relegated, and with only the help of a millionaire benefactor and a stadium sponsored by a major credit card, these plucky underdogs fought their way past the collective might of Preston, Bristol City and Burton Albion to the very very top! Go underdogs from that charming town full of hipsters that people from London really like."

Pitiful. Just rub out 14 of those 20 years, and he might have a point. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
If you forget the 20th position, I thought the analysis was about right. Personally I think we will be the first to go down, hopefully with a few decent surprises along the way.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Didnt Dunk make his Debut against Doncaster? It was JFC the season before who made his Debut in the game against MK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An excellent, well written, well researched, thoughtful, measured and balanced article from The Guardian.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've noticed a lot of journalists don't tend to look at the state of a particular club at the moment of promotion when assessing their chances for the season, they tend to go on history.

When Reading got promoted for the first time under Coppell, pretty much every journalist predicted their immediate crash and burn. Meanwhile, the fans could see that they were a well-run (if slightly plastic) club who'd blown away the second tier by 20-odd points, with a manager who knew what to do in the top division. Predictably, Reading has a good first season in the top flight.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How many games, last season, did we witness the opposition scoring then collectively act like:-

'Oh shite we've scored, they're gonna be angry, now what do we do?'

I'm crap at this but even I can instantly rattle off Brum, Fulham & Brentford.

The team, players and their collective team spirit bullied it's way through the division.
Now we're the school kids with our shirts tucked into our pants, carrying a briefcase, team spirit isn't scaring anyone.

I saw those games, but not in the way you described. Bullying isn't something I associated with our team last season. Grit, determination and desire to win would be a better description imo.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That's contrary to what TB believes, I can't remember when he said it but he hates business in January.

He says he hates doing it but thats normally where the club do their best business. Knockaert, Ulloa, Stephens, Sidwell, Upson, Kayal, Tomori, Murray etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here