Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton: Three ways they can survive in the Premier League...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm surprised I got past EPL, to be honest, but switched off when it said Chris Hughton had managed three sides in the Prem "including"..... and then named all three!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well researched article "Sebastien Pocognoli already on Brighton’s books"
Stop reading after that inaccuracy.

Lost interest when I read this:
In the past, we have seen Hughton-managed sides showcase a lot attacking talent, but some very weak and leaky backlines that concede.
'This' to both of those - unfortunately, I battled on to the bitter end.

It didn't get any better!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Brighton have Chris Hughton in charge, who has taken the reigns of three Premier League sides prior to his role at the Amex Stadium, including the likes of Tottenham Hotspur (1997), Newcastle United (2009/10) and Norwich City (2012-14).
n 2009, Hughton brought Newcastle into the Premier League, impressively only losing four times throughout the season and winning the Championship title. However, when he took over at Norwich, the club managed to avoid relegation in 2012/13, but finished in the bottom three the following season and subsequently, Hughton was sacked with four games left to play.

The past few seasons have shown that Brighton are deserving of a spot in the top flight, despite only winning promotion to the Championship in 2011/12. Since 2012/13, the Seagulls have only failed to finish inside the top six once and have come close to promotion on more than four different occasions.

An impressive couple of paragraphs. It takes some effort to get so much wrong in such a small space. After reading the latter Pocognoli reference, I clicked the link to check that this was not an Easy10 wind up. I'm still not convinced.

Hughton was in charge at Tottenham in 1997 for one game. His longer period as caretaker came in 1998/99.
He didn't manage Newcastle in the Premier League in 2009/10. That was 2010/11.
He didn't bring Newcastle into the Premier League in 2009. That was 2010.
Norwich finished 11th in 2012/13. A bit better than 'managed to avoid relegation', although, you might give him this as they left it late to move up the league.
It would not be possible for Norwich to finish in the bottom three and for Hughton to be sacked subsequently with four games to play. Logically, 'subsequently' would have to follow them finishing in the bottom three and he was sacked before this happened.
We won promotion to the Championship in 2010/11, not 2011/12.
We came close to promotion in 2012/13, 2013/14, 2015/16 and were promoted in 2016/17. I make that coming close to promotion on three occasions. If you wanted to generous then you could include our actual promotion, but you would still only get to four not "more than four different occasions."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I stopped reading at "they" - should be "it".

OT - Disagree! (Ooh good a bit of language pedantry). I've noticed that 'dreadful Americansim' creeping in and I'm fighting back! That's the American way to see sports teams as single entities, we see them as collective entities. For example an NFL commentator will say "Pittsburgh has the ball on it's 20 yard line", whereas an English football commentator will say "Chelsea have the ball in their own half."

And if you think I'm going to start saying "Crystal Palace? It's rubbish!" you can think again! Crystal Palace itself (the park) is rather nice.

EDIT: Unlike a lot of people who don't like to learn and get all arsey and bang on about 'Grammar Nazis' when their mistakes are pointed out if you can come up with irrefutable grammatical evidence why you're right and I'm wrong I shall adopt the singular approach in future - if only to be able to correct other posters when they say "Crystal Palace? They're shit!"

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
OT - Disagree! (Ooh good a bit of language pedantry). I've noticed that 'dreadful Americansim' creeping in and I'm fighting back! That's the American way to see sports teams as single entities, we see them as collective entities. For example an NFL commentator will say "Pittsburgh has the ball on it's 20 yard line", whereas an English football commentator will say "Chelsea have the ball in their own half."

And if you think I'm going to start saying "Crystal Palace? It's rubbish!" you can think again! Crystal Palace itself (the park) is rather nice.

EDIT: Unlike a lot of people who don't like to learn and get all arsey and bang on about 'Grammar Nazis' when their mistakes are pointed out if you can come up with irrefutable grammatical evidence why you're right and I'm wrong I shall adopt the singular approach in future - if only to be able to correct other posters when they say "Crystal Palace? They're shit!"

Actually in reality I do use your use but I think the singular is technically correct. In the same was as for technical reports I have to say that the City Council is, even though council is a collective term.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
An impressive couple of paragraphs. It takes some effort to get so much wrong in such a small space. After reading the latter Pocognoli reference, I clicked the link to check that this was not an Easy10 wind up. I'm still not convinced.

Hughton was in charge at Tottenham in 1997 for one game. His longer period as caretaker came in 1998/99.
He didn't manage Newcastle in the Premier League in 2009/10. That was 2010/11.
He didn't bring Newcastle into the Premier League in 2009. That was 2010.
Norwich finished 11th in 2012/13. A bit better than 'managed to avoid relegation', although, you might give him this as they left it late to move up the league.
It would not be possible for Norwich to finish in the bottom three and for Hughton to be sacked subsequently with four games to play. Logically, 'subsequently' would have to follow them finishing in the bottom three and he was sacked before this happened.
We won promotion to the Championship in 2010/11, not 2011/12.
We came close to promotion in 2012/13, 2013/14, 2015/16 and were promoted in 2016/17. I make that coming close to promotion on three occasions. If you wanted to generous then you could include our actual promotion, but you would still only get to four not "more than four different occasions."

Apart from all that....pretty accurate in all other respects?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am pretty certain that is likely to be the game plan, will we be able to cope with it better than Norwich fans did?

Well they are the world's foremost authority on all things football, so we need to take notice of them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
While the article is pretty poor in general, the point about draws and generally being conservative is a worry, for me at least. Trying to go defensive if we go one goal up is sure to be a hell of a lot less effective this season!

Agreed but I believe that Hughton has learnt a lot from his time at Norwich and he will know that trying to sit on leads at PL level is inviting trouble. Counter attacking at pace, with width, is the answer. Not all defenders at the top level are lightning quick.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Four Four Two reckons we will finish 16th, with Watford, Burnley and Hudds going down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Generic bullshit to be honest, people get paid for that.

Getting paid for stating the obvious

No, they don't. Publications used to employ journalists who offered insight, did research and pumped contacts for information. Now, many sites can use copy provided free of charge by people who like seeing their name in lights. Fortunately, I'm a journalist in a niche area and can still get paid but in the consumer space, rates have plummeted because there's free copy going begging.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, they don't. Publications used to employ journalists who offered insight, did research and pumped contacts for information. Now, many sites can use copy provided free of charge by people who like seeing their name in lights. Fortunately, I'm a journalist in a niche area and can still get paid but in the consumer space, rates have plummeted because there's free copy going begging.

Very true about the rates paid - I've spent time with writers of niche subjects, who provide regular articles to the likes of the Guardian and Telegraph, who revealed the minuscule rates paid to them. So in addition they run niche websites/blogs, aiming to build a following in the 10,000's on which they can earn niche advertising income. This provides their main income stream.

Is the writer of this article trying to draw in numbers, to do the same thing?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Three ways to survive in the Premier League:

1. The Earth is our Mother, care for her.

2. All life is sacred, treat all beings with respect.

3. Enjoy lifes journey but leave no tracks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here