Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positional numbers

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Back in the day players were numbered from 1-11. To the best of my knowledge the numbers(in the 80's and 90's - I can't comment on before then) corresponded to the following positions within a(n English) 4-4-2 formation.

1: GK
2: RB
3: LB
4: CM
5: CH
6: CH
7: W
8: CM
9: CF
10: CF
11: W

Now, despite everyone having squad numbers, it seems increasingly in vogue to describe players(well, midfielders and forwards at least) by the old 1-11 system. It started, IMO, with the 'false 9', then the 10 and now players are being described, or describing themselves, as 8's or 6's. I understand the 10. I understand the 9. But what's an 8 or 6? They're both used for midfield but they're also both used by and for players from various different countries and thus various different formations. Is an 8 just a standard central midfielder? A 6? That's a centre half! What's he doing in midfield? Is that a Beckenbaeur?

Basically what I'm asking is: Can someone fill me in on the new 1-11 positions and what each number is supposed to do? And what formation this 1-11 plays?

Thanks!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Depends on the countries as well, in Brazil the number 6 is traditionally a left back which is why Roberto Carlos was parading around wearing it and in Argentina the number 5 is a holding midfielder.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Back in the day players were numbered from 1-11. To the best of my knowledge the numbers(in the 80's and 90's - I can't comment on before then) corresponded to the following positions within a(n English) 4-4-2 formation.

Now, despite everyone having squad numbers, it seems increasingly in vogue to describe players(well, midfielders and forwards at least) by the old 1-11 system. It started, IMO, with the 'false 9', then the 10 and now players are being described, or describing themselves, as 8's or 6's. I understand the 10. I understand the 9. But what's an 8 or 6? They're both used for midfield but they're also both used by and for players from various different countries and thus various different formations. Is an 8 just a standard central midfielder? A 6? That's a centre half! What's he doing in midfield? Is that a Beckenbaeur?

Basically what I'm asking is: Can someone fill me in on the new 1-11 positions and what each number is supposed to do? And what formation this 1-11 plays?

Thanks!

Completely wrong.

1 Goalkeeper
2 Right Back
3 Left Back
4 Right Half
5 Centre Half
6 Left Half
7 Right Wing
8 Inside Right
9 Centre Forward
10 Inside Left
11 Left Wing

Apologies if I misread your post.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
8 is a box to box and 6 is the defensive/holding to my knowedge. 4 & 5 the centre halves. The rest you listed I would say the same.

I personally like when players conform to this standard and hate the favourite number thing and randomness. Wasn't it recently I saw a player with a 3 digit number on his back?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Completely wrong.

1 Goalkeeper
2 Right Back
3 Left Back
4 Right Half
5 Centre Half
6 Left Half
7 Right Wing
8 Inside Right
9 Centre Forward
10 Inside Left
11 Left Wing

Apologies if I misread your post.

I think those positions are from further back in the day than my back in the day. I only go back to the 80's. I reckon right/left halfs and inside forwards were gone by then.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I see it as:

1 GK
2 RB
3 LB
4 CM (usually a more defensive midfielder than #8)
5 CB
6 CB
7 RM
8 CM (usually a more attacking midfielder than #4)
9 ST (out and out striker)
10 ST/AM (could be any kind of striker, second striker or attacking midfield player)
11 LM

That's if you're playing 4-4-2, or similar. However, some people to swap the #4 and #6 around.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
8 is a box to box and 6 is the defensive/holding to my knowedge. 4 & 5 the centre halves. The rest you listed I would say the same.

I personally like when players conform to this standard and hate the favourite number thing and randomness. Wasn't it recently I saw a player with a 3 digit number on his back?

Was 4 not central midfield? I could have sworn Dean Wilkins was no.4. If 4 and 5 are the centre halves then 6 and 8 become a lot clearer.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

Thanks!

Let us get the starting point correct first. Using information from that well-known anthem, 'Number 8 was Peter Ward' - a midfielder he was not.
In those days one of the 4 or 6 was a defender and the other more attacking.. One out of the 8 or 10 was the second striker and the 'playmaker' was the other.
Nowadays it seems pot luck, sometimes even alphabetical.
Liverpool in the 70's were one of the first to put a number 5 on a midfielder (Cormack?) and before then. Tommy Docherty at Chelsea has previously started to mess around with the numbers to confuse the opposition.
Does it really matter?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Was 4 not central midfield? I could have sworn Dean Wilkins was no.4. If 4 and 5 are the centre halves then 6 and 8 become a lot clearer.

Somewhere along the line it changed I think but you are right it did used to be 4, with the CBs as 5&6 as you first stated. The modern acceptance though is 6 & 8 are the midfielders, at least that is my understanding.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Depends on the countries as well, in Brazil the number 6 is traditionally a left back which is why Roberto Carlos was parading around wearing it and in Argentina the number 5 is a holding midfielder.

Now this throws the cat back amongst the pigeons. We should bin the numbers and just say positions. Slightly longer but clearer.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Let us get the starting point correct first. Using information from that well-known anthem, 'Number 8 was Peter Ward' - a midfielder he was not.
In those days one of the 4 or 6 was a defender and the other more attacking.. One out of the 8 or 10 was the second striker and the 'playmaker' was the other.
Nowadays it seems pot luck, sometimes even alphabetical.
Liverpool in the 70's were one of the first to put a number 5 on a midfielder (Cormack?) and before then. Tommy Docherty at Chelsea has previously started to mess around with the numbers to confuse the opposition.
Does it really matter?

Wasn't Peter Ward numbers 1-11?

You're right, it's not the most pressing of matters but seeing as it's becoming increasingly popular to describe a player by a positional number I thought I'd try and find out what position those numbers correlate to. The alternative is talking about Trump or Brexit or the signings we've not only failed to make but no nothing of.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BHA always played with 5 and 6 as CB in the mid to old days but changed when Gus was manager. No 5 was an Argentinian midfielder, whose names alludes me.Graham Cross wore No 6 when he was with us.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is insane! Numbers 8 and 9 were the strikers (what number did Peter Ward wear?).

This is correct for 4-4-2 (think the classic Albion line up from 76/77):

1. GK
2. Right full-back
3. Left full-back
4. Centre midfield
5. Centre back
6. Centre back
7. Right wing
8. Centre forward
9. Centre forward
10. Centre midfield
11. Left wing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Peter Ward wore no 8 but during Don Revies days at Man City I m sure they played with the centre forward and 2 inside forwards all wearing the no 9. This was known as the Revie Plan.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
BHA always played with 5 and 6 as CB in the mid to old days but changed when Gus was manager. No 5 was an Argentinian midfielder, whose names alludes me.Graham Cross wore No 6 when he was with us.

Battipiedi, or something like that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here