Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

radio 5 live vs Beefy botham

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wasted on Radio , TV is her domain .

She has to somehow escape from El Presidente's conservatory first. Is it just her being held captive in there, or are Peter Allen and Dotun Adebayo just out of shot, chained to a radiator?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But hunting is how they get the meat for the pies! So there is bound to be a lot of people who wouldn't be in complete favour of this initiative. And she wasn't criticising it, she was presenting the other side of the argument, which he chose to belittle her for, instead of answering the questions. I've seen it done countless times – and had it done to me.

He thought he deserved an easy ride and he didn't like it when he didn't get one*- especially from a Doris.

There is obviously a bit of creative writing in the press release as well because she was under the impression that they were giving away the birds for nothing. That's clearly not the case, hence her comment about it being a commercial operation, which it is. If he really wanted to help the needy, surely he would give them ALL away?

You've got it wrong I'm afraid.
It's not a debate and it's not her place to start one. He's on their show to promote the charity, why would they not give him an easy ride?

if they don't want to help promote it they shouldn't have him on the show.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not a debate and it's not her place to start one. He's on their show to promote the charity, why would they not give him an easy ride?

No, that's not how it works at all. HE (or his PR people) will have circulated a press release or email to the show's producers, and it is HE who wants the publicity.

If he is so worried or naive/ignorant to think that the odd other question might not be asked, then he has no business going on there. Plugging stuff and PR is a two-way street, as all those working in it know. You give a bit to get a bit. And the moment it departs from that simple formula, it all starts going wrong.

BBC Five Live is not his PR company, it is a national news station, and just regurgitating a press release is not what they're there for.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Don't care how attractive or unattractive Rachel Burden is. She came across pretty badly in that so called interview. Nicky Campbell was cringeworthy as well. It was like she was trying to get a rise out of Beefy. Saw an opportunity to get her name on twitter/newspapers no doubt. Botham may not be everyone's cup of tea but that was an amateurish interview to say the least.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Exactly and as Botham said, " You have an agenda" other than the charity.

'Ian I know you've walked tens of thousands of miles for charities but there are some out there who say your trainers you have worn might well have been made in a Asian factory where woman are paid a pittance and have no holiday pay, adaquate rest periods and no legal representation.'

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don't care how attractive or unattractive Rachel Burden is. She came across pretty badly in that so called interview. Nicky Campbell was cringeworthy as well. It was like she was trying to get a rise out of Beefy. Saw an opportunity to get her name on twitter/newspapers no doubt. Botham may not be everyone's cup of tea but that was an amateurish interview to say the least.

What was she/anyone in that position supposed to do? The moment a guest gets chippy or aggressive, just tell them the sun shines out of their arse? Christ knows there are enough broadcasters like that out there. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself, on behalf of the listeners. I'd agree, it wasn't happy listening, but he was a very difficult guest. It happens, presumably.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What was she/anyone in that position supposed to do? The moment a guest gets chippy or aggressive, just tell them the sun shines out of their arse? Christ knows there are enough broadcasters like that out there. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself, on behalf of the listeners. I'd agree, it wasn't happy listening, but he was a very difficult guest. It happens, presumably.

It was a bit of an ambush. Why she went down the animal welfare road I've no idea? Then Campbell tried to save the day and made her seem even more out of her depth.

I know PR works both ways that is why he refused to talk about the cricket. If she had been co-operative he would've given some insight etc.. It was a very uncomfortable listen therefore she didn't do her job very well

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
BBC Five Live is not his PR company, it is a national news station, and just regurgitating a press release is not what they're there for.

A charitable scheme by which pies will be given away to the homeless, one donated for every one sold, is news. Pheasants getting shot isn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know PR works both ways that is why he refused to talk about the cricket. If she had been co-operative he would've given some insight

Sky have barely managed to get any cricket insight out of Botham in fifteen years, so pretty unlikely that was going to happen.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No, that's not how it works at all. HE (or his PR people) will have circulated a press release or email to the show's producers, and it is HE who wants the publicity.

If he is so worried or naive/ignorant to think that the odd other question might not be asked, then he has no business going on there. Plugging stuff and PR is a two-way street, as all those working in it know. You give a bit to get a bit. And the moment it departs from that simple formula, it all starts going wrong.

So if it was the head of Banardo's promoting their latest initiative do you think she would've asked them about abuse in care homes?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

What was she supposed to do? Well, maybe she should have thought about her line of questioning more carefully before asking such ridiculous, attention seeking guff. Apart from that she did a spiffing job. Considering how car crash it was I thought Ian Botham handled himself fairly well.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So if it was the head of Banardo's promoting their latest initiative do you think she would've asked them about abuse in care homes?

Since you haven't really given that a context, I'll suggest one. If Barnardo's were launching a new fund-raising campaign (let's guess not by giving away pheasant and partridge pies) and the presenter asked something like 'Why the new initiative, have we seen a rise in the figures for child abuse, if so have any new safeguards been put in place', then yes, that would be perfectly acceptable.

Anyway, this is going to go down as Beefy's Pear-Shaped, Partridge in a Pear Tree Productions moment.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A charitable scheme by which pies will be given away to the homeless, one donated for every one sold, is news.

It really isn't.

Or as my first journalism lecturer might have said, 'Man eats pheasant, that's not a story - pheasant eats man, now you're talking'.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure it was actually news was it ? I do get frustrated with interview journalists responding to PR like this and ambushing the interviewee.

Now the argument becomes news itself and I'm sure there will a subsequent phone-in where it's unclear whether the subject is the subject or the reaction to.

How many times are are supposed serious news sources filled with stories of "Twitter reacts" ?

Journalists are so threatened by social media some of them are beginning to think that they will only survive if they are the subject of it.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It really isn't.

Or as my first journalism lecturer might have said, 'Man eats pheasant, that's not a story - pheasant eats man, now you're talking'.

I think your first journalism lecturer would have made a bit of a plank of himself if he had said that! The story is not 'Man eats pheasant', is it? It's 'Man gives away pheasant, plucked, cooked and in a pie, to homeless people." You didn't share your first journalism lecturer with a certain often derided poster on here by any chance, did you?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here