Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gas and Electricity

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The standing charge is for maintaining the networks, meter replacements etc

Strange that Tesco's don't charge me a standing charge to maintain their store, their tills, their car park or their trolleys.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Also make sure you take all the energy saving measures you can we reduced our gas consumption by 30% and electricity comsumption by 38% combined with Solar panels if we exclude the installation costs which I can as if was dead money sitting in the bank we are energy neutral paying nothing for gas or electricity and it's been that way for the past 4 years

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I`m paying 10.676p per unit + 0.506p per unit feed in tariff (so total 11.182p per unit) + £15.64 Quarterly charge +VAT at 5%. for Electric.

If I divide total bill by units used it comes to 12.55 p per unit.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Strange that Tesco's don't charge me a standing charge to maintain their store, their tills, their car park or their trolleys.

but Tesco own those, the network is maintained by a different company than your gas or electric supplier, either UK Power Nrtworks, National Grid etc. The suppliers have to pay those companies to maintain the meters, pipes, pylons etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you tried turning the electricity off and back on again?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Also make sure you take all the energy saving measures you can we reduced our gas consumption by 30% and electricity comsumption by 38% combined with Solar panels if we exclude the installation costs which I can as if was dead money sitting in the bank we are energy neutral paying nothing for gas or electricity and it's been that way for the past 4 years

Surely not quite dead money as you should be getting money back through the feed in tariff. We have solar panels and they have paid for themselves in 5 and half years. With all the energy saving measures, double glazing, cavity wall insulation and adequate loft insulation, we pay £80 a month for 3 bed detached.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Worth looking at the reviews as well as the prices. Iresa sound terrible, think I will stick to Ovo.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
We have just switched to bulb, on eon we were spending £125 p/m on gas & electricity, now its £82. Another big plus for me was that all the electricity is from 100% renewable sources. If you join via this link you'll get £50 off you first month too https://bulb.co.uk/refer/marisa

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Surely not quite dead money as you should be getting money back through the feed in tariff. We have solar panels and they have paid for themselves in 5 and half years. With all the energy saving measures, double glazing, cavity wall insulation and adequate loft insulation, we pay £80 a month for 3 bed detached.

What I was trying to say was having ensured the energy saving measures are in place we had substantial savings on energy useage we then use the feed in tarif to offset the electricity and gas bills which makes our energy natual, I suppose another way of looking at it would be to say the initial outlay for PV, insulation, Windows, doors, low energy lighting, AAA+ white good, boiler, energy saving controls all combined have been written off in the same way you would when buying a car, by doing this we are future proofing our energy bills.
We see it as paying for the energy we will be using into the future capped at today's prices

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
British Gas will increase electricity prices by 12.5% from mid-September.

The CEO of Centrica has just been interviewed on BBC Breakfast. His name? David CONN.

Edit, trying to be funny I got his name wrong. It's Iain CONN.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here