Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gas and Electricity

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have both with SSE and have just received notice that our fixed long term tariff is due to finish in September.

Time to ask the brains of NSC is there any great benefit in going on to a price comparison site to try to obtain cheaper? What companies do our fellow posters use and would recommend?

Our elec is 11.94p per unit with a standing charge of 24.67p per day.
Our gas is 3.36p per unit with a standing charge of 24.67p per day.

Does this sound reasonable as I have no idea just pay it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Try switch with Which online. They have no ties at all with companies and receive no incentives.

http://switch.which.co.uk/energy-advice/moving-house-and-supplier.html

Have a year's kWh usage figures to hand, converting your gas usage figure to kWh, using the simply conversion formula depending on whether you have an imperial or metric gas meter.

We move every year or so when deals end, currently with One Select, the saving was vast.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I took out a 4-year fixed rate deal on the electricity about six months ago (believing that over the course of the 4 years, I'll be quids in, even if I'm paying a tad too much now): day rate 14.75p, night rate 7.06p, standing charge 14.09.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I recently switched to IRESA, small company bsded in Nottingham. Uswitch shows as the cheapest on the internet but you cannot go thorough Uswitch. I went direct to IRESA website and simple, all done no hassle.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Personally I avoid price comparison websites as they usually want you to enter an email address to get the quotes - unless you set up a throwaway email address for the purpose.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Personally I avoid price comparison websites as they usually want you to enter an email address to get the quotes - unless you set up a throwaway email address for the purpose.

Just make one up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Always irks me the standing charge. Complete money for nothing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went onto that site switch.which and it shows a £95 per annum saving with IRESA but they do niot participate in the government Warm Home Scheme which is worth £140 per annum so probably best staying where we are.,

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Cant remember who posted but someone put up an annual reminder to check prices etc with a link to a comparison site........I duly used this and am now with Robin Hood & Zog and practically halved my monthly DDs!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Doing the same myself and probably going with AVRO, a competitive midlands-based small concern with good feedback.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I went onto that site switch.which and it shows a £95 per annum saving with IRESA but they do niot participate in the government Warm Home Scheme which is worth £140 per annum so probably best staying where we are.,

If you're going to stay with the same supplier then whatever you do do NOT stay with the standard rate. It will be a total rip off. Anyway, they are obliged to let you know what other deals they have and they will be considerably better than the standard rate.

When our deal ran out I checked all the available deals and then those being offered by my current supplier. The difference between the best was minimal so I stuck with them but the deal I got was over £40 per month less than if I'd done nothing and left it at standard rate.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I was with SSE until last Autumn and realised I was being taken for a mug.

U Switch had set up a deal with EON then which I took up saving '00s£. Seen since that SSE are losing customers rapidly.

Will review all again this Autumn.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Use Martin Lewis Cheap Energy Club. Often cheap deals with cash back. Last year he did a special deal with British Gas for dual fuel. Saved me £300 pa plus £30 cashback.

I have used Cheap Energy Club for 2 or 3 years now and find them very good.
When my fixed deal with British Gas ended in February I moved to Affect Energy (Based in Shoreham) and have a new fix which is very competitive. Very efficient although they do request readings every month as they say it enables them to purchase energy at the lowest possible price. Smart meters not yet available !

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
We have both with SSE and have just received notice that our fixed long term tariff is due to finish in September.

Time to ask the brains of NSC is there any great benefit in going on to a price comparison site to try to obtain cheaper? What companies do our fellow posters use and would recommend?

Our elec is 11.94p per unit with a standing charge of 24.67p per day.
Our gas is 3.36p per unit with a standing charge of 24.67p per day.

Does this sound reasonable as I have no idea just pay it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Buy some forking candles :moo:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We were with Ovo,then changed to Octopus and will be looking for a change in December. I will be switching with a group who all switch on or about the same day ti get a better deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here