Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Single Malt

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions, It was a gift for a friend.. I'll decide what to buy tomorrow!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Glen Moray is a good shout. I also like the Irish malts, if you can get one! Bush Mills do a nice single and I've had some lovely ones in Dublin that just don't seem to make it over the water.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If you like peaty, Kilchoman is really good and one of my favourites from Islay. They have even started selling it at M&S which is a bonus as it wasn't in supermarkets before.

Unpeated - Bruichladdich 'the Classic Laddie' is really nice. All their whiskies are great I think.

For a good value easy drinking, Highland Park always nice.

And I wouldn't dream of adding anything other than, literally, a few drops of water to it!

Agree. I'm a big fan of Bruichladdich. Their Classic is great, but I once had the pleasure of trying their Yquem Cask, which is on of the finest whiskies I've had.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Macallan has always been my favourite. We've got a Macallan gold on the go behind the bar just now which is very good. I wouldn't go for Laphroaig unless you'd tried and liked it before, it is extremely peaty/smokey.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Problem with whisky is that there are hundreds, thousands if you add other countries.
Fair enough saying that you have a favourite like my Highland Park but there are probably so many more that you would probably prefer but will never get to taste.
And there are very distinct differences, unlike vodka and gin whereas I really cannot tell much difference.
Not a fan of brandy & Dark/white rum (except in cocktails) so I would be interested in knowing if there is a difference in taste with them as well.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Well I’ve created sacrilege whilst on holiday and gone and bought a bottle of English whisky from the Costwolds distillery. My mother has just disowned me....

Mrs D7 has now told me to finish off some of the bottles before opening others (I bought 3 others whilst in Speyside and she’s just noticed!). So I have a question - I know whisky doesn’t go off but is there a period from when opened you should finish off a bottle as I’ve 20+bottles with various levels in them

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well I’ve created sacrilege whilst on holiday and gone and bought a bottle of English whisky from the Costwolds distillery. My mother has just disowned me....

Mrs D7 has now told me to finish off some of the bottles before opening others (I bought 3 others whilst in Speyside and she’s just noticed!). So I have a question - I know whisky doesn’t go off but is there a period from when opened you should finish off a bottle as I’ve 20+bottles with various levels in them

About a week.....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I bought some Penderyn the other day. I was a bit sniffy about it as Welsh whisky (or wisgi as it's spelled) didn't seem right to me but it's rather nice.

It's not something that will ever replace my beloved Islay but it's a good back-up.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I always wondered what the welsh whisky tasted like - may have to try in a pub first. Sipping an Old Pulteney this evening - finishing what little was in the bottle. May have to buy a new bottle as I really like it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I bought some Penderyn the other day. I was a bit sniffy about it as Welsh whisky (or wisgi as it's spelled) didn't seem right to me but it's rather nice.

It's not something that will ever replace my beloved Islay but it's a good back-up.

I’ve had a couple of bottles of that after visiting their distillery on holiday a while back. Really like it. :thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I was bought this last Christmas and I was a bit disappointed when I unwrapped it, I smiled politely and thanked the gift giver - I later tried it and had to thank them again, this time genuinely!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So I have a question - I know whisky doesn’t go off but is there a period from when opened you should finish off a bottle as I’ve 20+bottles with various levels in them

Whisky changes after 10mins or so in a glass. Not for the best I always find. It’s because the air gets to it and changes it’s character.

So with bottles, if there is a lot of air in it, it will change the taste. My rule of thumb here is that whisky is good until the bottle is 90% empty. Anything more than that and there will be enough air in the bottle to start changing the taste (in my opinion) so you’d want to get through the last bit quite swiftly.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Whisky changes after 10mins or so in a glass. Not for the best I always find. It’s because the air gets to it and changes it’s character.

So with bottles, if there is a lot of air in it, it will change the taste. My rule of thumb here is that whisky is good until the bottle is 90% empty. Anything more than that and there will be enough air in the bottle to start changing the taste (in my opinion) so you’d want to get through the last bit quite swiftly.

I find when my bottle is 20% empty I need to get through it quickly, not because the taste has changed, it just seems a shame not to.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
My recent go-to single malt is The Sexton, a N. Irish whiskey. Probably Bushmills. An unusual hexagon bottle and a slightly salty tang. Excellent value for money. Available in Waitrose for £30, often on offer at £25. Try it if you get the chance. sexton.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here