Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I don't ignore anyone, I might argue with, pee off or get peed off by, but ignore, no!

All's good for me, hope it is for you too.

All's well here too. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't really care for the stats of other clubs, history is there for the making. I repeat my belief Solly is more than capable of x 7 - 10 goals, Antony Knock x 10 if both fit across a full season.
the number 10 shirt has always been the dynamic attacking midfielder( ignore Trevor Brooking) often seen as an additional striker, a goal creator and goal scorer. Bergkamp being a superb example of the bread , and no I don't think Gross is in the same class but i do think he will score goals as I do also think we will surprise a few. Put the spreadsheet away are start believing in the possibilities and feel free to bounce in May 2018.
You do kind of need to look at history if you want to learn

15/16 season had 9 teams scoring less than 45 goals. (Stoke finished 9th scoring 41 goals @ -15.)
14/15 season had 8 teams scoring less than 44 goals.

Solly has scored 7 goals in 72 appearances.

As said if those 3 got to double figures.
The rest of the 'not strikers' matched them (I have unrealistic delusions re Dunk and Duffy's goal scoring prowess)

We'd all be feeling confident as that leaves the actual goal scorers to chip in 20 or so, between them.

Those that are currently moist would feel a lot better about things if a striker with the potential to get half of those were signed soon.

Bloody hell -
Stoke have scored 175 goals from the last 4 seasons. 152 games.
45, 48, 41, 41.
Their goal difference for those 4 seasons is -29.

Yet they've finished 9th, 9th, 9th & 13th.

Last edited:

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Fella,I went to Newcastle in the 1983 FA cup replay, waiting for Kevin Keegan, Peter Beardsley and co to rip us a new one but they didn't. We won. I went to Liverpool away in the 5th round when they were the best team in Europe, we had no chance and guess what? we won - there's been dozens of those down the years.You can't support the Albion or any football club without the romantic notion that you team just might, just might surprise a few.Are we strong enough now? I don't think any of us would press the start button without the desired recruitment we crave if we had a choice and I don't think the club will either.Our signings will come but I still have the "romantic notion" at the start of every season that it will all be ok. If I thought otherwise what would be the point? That would be the real loss.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fella,I went to Newcastle in the 1983 FA cup replay, waiting for Kevin Keegan, Peter Beardsley and co to rip us a new one but they didn't. We won. I went to Liverpool away in the 5th round when they were the best team in Europe, we had no chance and guess what? we won - there's been dozens of those down the years.You can't support the Albion or any football club without the romantic notion that you team just might, just might surprise a few.Are we strong enough now? I don't think any of us would press the start button without the desired recruitment we crave if we had a choice and I don't think the club will either.Our signings will come but I still have the "romantic notion" at the start of every season that it will all be ok. If I thought otherwise what would be the point? That would be the real loss.

That sums up nicely the optimism of most sports lovers.

It's the incredibly high standard of the players and coaches in the PL, and the big jump up for us with so far little meaningful transfer business, that concerns a far higher proportion of fans than normal.

The romantic view is fine if we're bouncing along always in the same division, but finally after 34 years we have a chance to establish ourselves in a division where we aren't loosing shedloads of cash in an unsustainable business model, and so many are simply concerned that we recruit well to give us a great chance. Otherwise who knows when we might get another chance.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Excellent post and i hope you are right. Personally football has moved on and money really dominates it now. The stats of the Premier league in the last 10 years don't lie and the chances of staying up are extremely slim if you spend bugger all. It will catch up on you over the course of the season unlike individual games you have mentioned.

Last edited:

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
That sums up nicely the optimism of most sports lovers.

It's the incredibly high standard of the players and coaches in the PL, and the big jump up for us with so far little meaningful transfer business, that concerns a far higher proportion of fans than normal.

The romantic view is fine if we're bouncing along always in the same division, but finally after 34 years we have a chance to establish ourselves in a division where we aren't loosing shedloads of cash in an unsustainable business model, and so many are simply concerned that we recruit well to give us a great chance. Otherwise who knows when we might get another chance.

It will all be fine. Trust the guy who has spent 250 million in getting us here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Only a tad?

AK, March & Gross will be lucky to get 10 between them, and in doing so they'll have outperformed themselves, esp if most of them are crucial goals.

Des L's tache is not the only one that will offer you a flutter on this one. The question is: do you actually believe what you write?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Des L's tache is not the only one that will offer you a flutter on this one. The question is: do you actually believe what you write?

I believe what I write, I hope to be wrong (although in fairness I don't believe I'm being unduly negative, in this sub-plot) but I shall decline the offer of wagers.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I believe what I write

SB. I don't think you believe a single word you write.

You said yesterday we're headed to League 1.

and the way that's going the Albion will be lucky to stay in (the Championship), next season.

You admit you spent all day yesterday trying to wind posters up.

Finally.
It's taken all day to get pot properly stirred, I nearly ran out of bait.

Well played . You did. I'm happy to correct your guff from time to time. More fool me. I'd have done a bit more but Mrs CB made me mow the lawn.
But believe what you write. ??
I should coco.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
SB. I don't think you believe a single word you write.

You said yesterday we're headed to League 1.

You admit you spent all day yesterday trying to wind posters up.

Well played . You did. I'm happy to correct your guff from time to time. More fool me. I'd have done a bit more but Mrs CB made me mow the lawn.
But believe what you write. ??
I should coco.

Big lawn?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have you purchased a big enough lawn mower?..you don't want to be fiddling around with small purchases on a large lawn..you need a marquee lawn mower :whistle:

Its probably far too late in the summer now to get a new one i'm afraid. Wont' get on with everyone else in the shed who've been working on the garden for a while.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You could just get a normal lawn mower, but pay well over the odds for it. That might keep some people happy.

I think sometimes you just have to trust the guy in control of the lawn mower and those in the shed..i do it for a living but the number of customers who think they know more than me :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here