Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Except for Murray and Hemed who have scored hatfuls, got us promoted, and cost minimal £££

Or don't they count cos we didn't over pay for Pritchard who we didn't need anyway.

The club obviously thought they needed Pritchard even though you didn't . But what concerns me is, that although he turned us down on August 4th, we had no plan B to bring in and so we muddled through, being very lucky with injuries. Here we are August 6th a year on with the same strike force.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. Agreed .
And nobody suggests we shouldn't strengthen for Prem. (Baldock was injured and we coped. )

But OP can't have it both ways. Either we are good at recruiting strikers or we're not. If not (and it's always an unequivocal not) then ulloa, murray, Hemed and even Baldock have obviously and conveniently escaped their memories.

How about mixed success?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Yep. Agreed .
And nobody suggests we shouldn't strengthen for Prem. (Baldock was injured and we coped. )

But OP can't have it both ways. Either we are good at recruiting strikers or we're not. If not (and it's always an unequivocal not) then ulloa, murray, Hemed and even Baldock have obviously and conveniently escaped their memories.

Or have these signings Leon Best, Elvis Manu, David Rodrigues Sanchez, Jonathan Obika, Chris O'Grady Adrian Collunga and Chuba Ackpom conveniently escaped yours?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Or have these signings Leon Best, Elvis Manu, David Rodrigues Sanchez, Jonathan Obika, Chris O'Grady Adrian Collunga and Chuba Ackpom conveniently escaped yours?

They were all very poor value, I'm still expecting a wild card from Spain or Germany, TB will not have spent all that wedge to get here and not invest now we are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

No they haven't. I saw and suffered each and every one.

But where it mattered then in "last couple of years" then murray, Hemed and Knockaert put paid to arguments that our recruitment in this area is a perennial failing or that most fans would agree it was "poor" (common and wrong arguments on here ).

If true then where did all those goals and promotion come from. ? I saw all of those as well.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
No they haven't. I saw and suffered each and every one.

But where it mattered then in "last couple of years" then murray, Hemed and Knockaert put paid to arguments that our recruitment in this area is a perennial failing or that most fans would agree it was "poor" (common and wrong arguments on here ).

If true then where did all those goals and promotion come from. ? I saw all of those as well.

So adding those good and bad signings together a just under 30% success rate makes the club good at signing strikers then in your opinion and Triggaaar wrong?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love the way a winger or 2 suddenly appear to bolster the argument against a very long list of poor poor strikers.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The club obviously thought they needed Pritchard even though you didn't . But what concerns me is, that although he turned us down on August 4th, we had no plan B to bring in and so we muddled through, being very lucky with injuries. Here we are August 6th a year on with the same strike force.

I think Pritchard would have been a good signing. Although in the end Baldock missed 15 games last season and the squad coped. And I agree Akpom wasn't much and Manu didn't work out. And of course if your best bit of recruitment/striker had been injured (Murray) , we'd have suffered. I agree. But he wasn't.
And I agree we absolutely need to strengthen this window with a striker.although Gross looks good in the no. 10 slot so far. A good bit of recruitment there.

I just disagree it's far too late, and I disagree that the the club don't have a good track record in recruiting the right players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Except for Murray and Hemed who have scored hatfuls, got us promoted, and cost minimal £££
You know we play with two strikers, right? We were trying to bring in competition for Baldock in the year we missed out on promotion on GD. That cost us many many millions. We tried again last summer, and failed to get what we wanted. Fortunately it didn't stop us getting promoted, but the fact is we were trying to bring in a striker to compete with Baldock, and we failed.

Or don't they count cos we didn't over pay for Pritchard who we didn't need anyway.
No, they don't count because they weren't brought in to compete with Baldock. This is really quite simple, we were trying to bring another striker in, and we didn't. Don't be so precious.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You know we play with two strikers, right? We were trying to bring in competition for Baldock in the year we missed out on promotion on GD. That cost us many many millions. We tried again last summer, and failed to get what we wanted. Fortunately it didn't stop us getting promoted, but the fact is we were trying to bring in a striker to compete with Baldock, and we failed.

No, they don't count because they weren't brought in to compete with Baldock. This is really quite simple, we were trying to bring another striker in, and we didn't. Don't be so precious.

Yep. I remember. Failure to land murray in 15/16 , not signing Pritchard , Elvis Manu vs signing Murray in 16/17, Hemed , Baldock = "poor at recruiting strikers in last couple of years". Or "good business that got us promoted compared to rest of champ"

Sorry I prefer the latter

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I just disagree it's far too late, and I disagree that the the club don't have a good track record in recruiting the right players.

No it's obviously not too late and of course we all hope they complete the signings the club have been telling the fans we need.
By 1st Sept, I think we will have a good idea by whom we sign, if it was a well organized and planned set of signings from around the April time we were promoted, or a god we got three weeks to go lets get an Elvis Manu in to make up the squad numbers.,

It' is the club telling the fans they need four more signings so lets wait and see how good their planning has been if and when they are signed.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It just seems pretty odd that we have so long to sort this situation and again it seems we are leaving it to the last minute again.

The club will be trying everything I just think we are now in a completely different level competing with far bigger teams for the same pool of players. This is why I think this signing will come late as we have to wait for the big boys to have their pick first and we are then left competing with the lower half clubs for what is left.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Or its pretty normal and its not the last minute because its August 6th not Sept 1st.

But the first game of the season is just 6 days away and our squad looks incredibly weak, especially up front.

I'm trying not to be negative and understand about enjoying the ride etc but I really won't enjoy it if we're getting beaten every week which at the moment I think we will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here