Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Saw and spoke to Ed many times during the War Years. Often at some God forsaken ground 'Up North' somewhere or other. Let's save the minute's applause for the Man City game where it will be packed with regular Abion people. Ed will be missed on here and at The Amex.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
True story...

It sounded better when Ed told the story rather than it being written down, so try and read this with Ed's voice in mind.

C&G Final 2006 - Sussex v Lancashire. It was the lunch session after Sussex had finished their innings, and we're all milling around the concourses. I saw Ed and we started chatting.

"I've just had a very peculiar encounter", he said, engimatically. "I've either met someone from NSC, or I've just pulled..."

"Why, what happened?"

"Well, I was standing in the urinals, going for a wee, when a total stranger sidled up to me as asked quite menacingly..." [adopts deep, plummy voice] "Are you Lord Bracknell - because I'm a Barrel of Fun.

"I couldn't get out of there quick enough..."

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
So sad to hear this - never met Ed but recognized him at many a match over the years, and appreciated his regular insights and wisdom on NSC. A real legend who will be hugely missed.
Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Very sad news. I wasnt privileged enough to know him personally but of course know of his immense contribution to the Albion.
My best wishes to his family and friends. RIP.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Very sorry to hear about this and it's so sad he hasn't been able to see Brighton in the premiership.. His updates of all the meetings and inquiries were so important as he always gave such a measured and informed view. He was always such a beacon of hope during those dark days.

Also, indirectly, I have him to thank for making a number of friends in the Albion fraternity as I joined the Cheshire Seagulls as a result of the Falmer Day protests that he organised.

Amongst all the nonsense on NSC, I would always enjoy his contributions - someone who will be missed a lot.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Stunned. Absolutely stunned by this news. Didn't know especially well but met and worked together with Ed on several occasions. A true hero of the Albion, a minutes silence at least for the opening game. RIP Lord B, heartbroken for his family.

We've lost a pillar of the Albion community with his passing.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
So very sorry to hear this news. RIP Ed. You will forever remain in our memories.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Such a sad thing to hear, for anyone but also for someone so pivotal towards the fight for Falmer.

I never had the opportunity to meet him but from his posts on here I got one main impression: when he talked, you listened. And you were grateful for his vast knowledge.

RIP LB, and thankyou for touching everyone's lives the way you did.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn't know him personally but always a wise and reasonable poster on here and reading some of the tributes and hearing about how much he has done for the club is just amazing.

RIP LB.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Oh this is sad
Ed fought hard against this horrible disease. I remember seeing him back at the Amex after his bout of illness.
He called it 'Bellotti',incidentally.
A proper 'fans' fan.
Condolences to Roz and the family.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
RIP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I am really sad to hear this, I met Lord B a couple of times. A very warm chap, even if he couldn't remember who I was - not that I'd expect him too!

His voice will be missed from NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here