Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 364344454647 LastLast

6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My favourite paragraph from 'We Want Falmer' (page 116):

'ED BASSFORD: This was the era of the leaked document, so we knew of the likelihood of a legal challenge. I was phoned up by a Lewes District councillor and told that work was being done on mounting a legal challenge to the decisions. I asked how he knew, and he said he'd seen the report, and I said; "Could I see the report?" And he said; "Of course not." Then the report appeared through my front door later that weekend and I was asked, when you've read it, could you return it please, so the following day it was returned. What happened between it falling through my door and being returned might or might not have involved an email to Martin Perry and the use of a scanner, but I wouldn't know.'

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Sad that I couldn't be there today
      Is it possible we could have some transcripts of speeches?
      Not for the likes of me!!!!

15 Not allowed!
      In no given order, it was a day of laughter, tears, sadness and fondness.

For a start, Ed's funeral was very well attended. @The Large One and @ROSM were charged with handing out the Order of Service sheets, and seeing as Roz said she'd printed off 200, and some didn't get one, that gives you an idea of the reach of Ed's universe.

There were fine tributes and eulogies, from his friends in Firle Parish Council, in the Morris Dancing fraternity, in community transport, Attila's poem 'From Hereford To Here', and of course Paul Samrah's heartfelt and wonderful tribute, some of which were taken from here. There was also a genuine tribute from Norman Baker, as read out by the vicar.

Which reminds me, the vicar, Peter Owen Jones, already has his own thread on North Stand Chat, having hosted a fine programme earlier this year about walks on the South Downs. Typical Ed, having the last laugh with us though - "It's an honour to conduct Ed's funeral", said Peter before the service, "... and I wasn't going to miss it, but I am a Palace fan. Please don't tell anyone until later..."

Many pints were consumed afterwards in The Ram Inn in Firle, three minutes walk from the picturesque church, and many tales were swapped of "Do you remember when...?" and "I really didn't know that..." As was pointed out, most stories would be largely the same about Ed's kindness, generosity, fairness, wisdom and humour - just the setting was different in each case.

A fair few Brighton fans and NSCers were present (it would be unfair to name them all as I would certainly miss some out - but they know who they were), and the Albion was represented by Martin Perry, Ray Bloom and Derek Chapman.

The sun shone, and it felt appropriate that it did so. Rain just wouldn't have befitted such an occasion.

It was a privilege to be there to see our good friend off.

Rest in peace. X
      The Albion Roar

Join Ady & Al for your mildly intelligent fix of Albion-related punditry every Saturday at 12pm on Radio Reverb 97.2FM, online at www.radioreverb.com or on DAB. Listen to the podcast via AudioBoom - https://audioboom.com/channel/albion-roar
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Any possibility now that's Ed's Service has passed this thread could be merged with the one on the Big Board? That way, when the threads are moved to Gold - as they surely must be - everything is in one place.

Rest in Peace Ed - we'll try not to let you down and maintain some degree of standards in this place.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      At 2.00 this afternoon, I was standing on a cricket pitch in Rottingdean umpiring an U12s match. I'd like to say that I was thinking of Ed at the moment but I was somewhat occupied.

Been thinking about him this evening, reading the comments from the people who attended his funeral brought home what a wonderful man he was; one who made his mark in so many walks of life and who made friends everywhere. He'll be missed by so many people
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      I never met LB, but his threads were always the most well thought out on NSC - not that the bar was often set that high! His feedback on the Public Enquiry was undoubtedly the most reliable and reasoned source of information for ignoramuses like me. Living where I do, I used to see him often about, at Glynde Station before and after matches, parading on various bonfire nights, and of course at the Amex and Withdean. I just wished that I had had the courage to go over and speak to him. I know he was a convert to our Albion from the other Albion, but there are surely few who have contributed so much to what we all have today. RIP Lord Bracknell, or may I call you Ed.
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Glad it was a good turnout and fitting tribute to the great man.

Was thinking very much of Ed at 08:00 hrs this morning
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Paskman View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      RIP Lord Bracknell, or may I call you Ed.
      Of all the tributes I have read, these few words sum it up for me. Beautifully put.

17 Not allowed!
      Thank you so much to all those who attended. It truly was a fitting sendoff for Dad. Wonderful words from friends about many aspects of his life followed by a burial in a beautiful spot in the village he adored, then onto the pub for beer and stories in the sunshine. Perfect.

Back home we also had a few fireworks for him too. It's just a real shame he missed it.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
      "For 50 quid you're gonna want some ding & dong!!" - SB

1 Not allowed!
      All our best wishes to the entire Bassford family.
      The Albion Roar

Join Ady & Al for your mildly intelligent fix of Albion-related punditry every Saturday at 12pm on Radio Reverb 97.2FM, online at www.radioreverb.com or on DAB. Listen to the podcast via AudioBoom - https://audioboom.com/channel/albion-roar