Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ironically I found this out about 10 minutes ago after playing in a charity match against a Macmillan team for someone else lost to cancer.

Ed's posts on here were lively, intelligent and, at times, provocative and always worth reading. I was finally introduced to him late last season by Al from the Albion Roar and he was just as engaging over a pint despite being so unwell. Thoughts to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As many know, Ed had another footballing passion, Newport County. This is him with me, my brother, the missus, at Wembley at the 2012 FA Trophy Final between York and Newport County (pic taken by a Welsh sister in law). Not the best result that day, but the following year we went to the Conference Playoff Final together, to see Wrexham put to the sword, and Newport promoted tot the football league.

IMG_8345.JPG

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My memories of LB are based purely on his NSC contributions, which will be remerbered fondly as he was an intelligent, deeply witty and a gentle person.

I''m not sure how many contributors have been around since NSC started out, but I recall his wit way back then, and always looked forward to reading his posts.

I was saddened to read a few months back of his battle against cancer, something he tackled with both grace and bravery.

I am hugely sorry to read this awful news, and hope only that he rests in peace.

Kosh

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I never had the pleasure of meeting LB in person, but he always came across on these forums as a genuinely lovely and intelligent bloke. Never one to get involved in the binfestry that this forum so often throws up.

So sad that he won't get to see us kick it with the big boys :down:

RIP

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I knew the name and his work but, sadly, not the man himself. RIP and condolences to his family. Once again, we have lost someone who did so much to ensure we all have a club to follow, and at the time of another step forward in the development of the club. It is so sad that neither he nor Paul W will be taking their seats two weeks from today.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A quick word to say that we actually had the odd tussle on NSC (not about BHA, it was almost always politics) but his arguments were always articulate, witty and sincere.

Sad I never got to meet him as I'm sure we would have agreed to disagree over a glass of red. RIP.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not ashamed to admit I'm typing this with tears rolling down my cheeks. RIP Ed, you fantastic, brilliant, witty, charming man. God what a loss. :(

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
Another fan who will will be remembered in the history of the Albion and made it the club it is now,thankyou.RIP

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I've just raised a glass in his honour

and thanked him for all he did for our club

RIP

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ed was courteous, opiniated, funny, determined, kind, charming, and bled blue and white. I wish I'd had his company more often. RIP to an Albion legend. Thoughts with Roz and the family.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I knew he was ill but like many, I thought he had the upper hand with that ******* of a disease.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Very sad news - though I never met him except through this medium I knew he was a died in the wool true Albion fan.
We would not be where we are were it not for him and his like

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Oh what awful news, sending much love and thoughts to his family and friends.

A true Albion legend who did so much for Falmer - one of of a very small handful of fans who's posts I would keenly look out for and always know they would be smart, insightful and funny. A true loss for the club and he will be remembered very fondly.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
An Albion and Lewes Arms legend lost to his family, friends and The Albion community.
Thoughts go out to Roz and the family at this sad time..
Thank you and may you RIP Ed.. a true gentleman.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Terrible news. I had the honour of meeting him on both marches, during the short period in the noughties when I lived in the UK. A lovely man, passionate supporter and one of the people who made North Stand Chart such a good place to be.

It won't be the same without him. My thoughts and prayers to his family. He will be missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here