Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Genuinely saddened by this: he was a lovely bloke. Tolerant, knowledgeable, good-humoured (not always words associated with NSC), he was a fount of knowledge when it came to arcane planning regulations. And, of course, he played a blinder when it came to the Falmer campaign.

He sat two rows in front of me in the North Stand so we'd regularly exchange views on how well/badly we'd played. I'll never be able to do that any more.

RIP Ed, we'll miss your wit, erudition and informative posts. Condolences to Roz and family.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Ed, I never met you, but will miss you on here terribly. I have so much respect for what you achieved for the club and everyone who cares for it and the gentle way you did it.

My deepest condolences to Roz and your family. And thanks - thanks for being such a great man in your own way.

RIP
Col

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
[tweet]891288611542495232[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP M'lord Bracknell, Deepest sympathy and such sadness that he never managed to see our Premiership debut.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
After years of exile on here, I feel so saddened that I have to post to pay my respects to Ed. Others have said it all far better than me, but what a man. When it appeared at times all hope was lost with the quest for Falmer, Ed always managed in his own unique way to pull us all together and renew the fight. A true gentleman who lit up many a dark day in a pub near some far flung away game in the dark days.

RIP Ed, keep watching over us.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Very sad news. RIP. Such a shame he never got to see his team play a Premier League match in the stadium he fought so hard for.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Couple of other things to reminisce at this sad time:

REMF early days sorting out the event was always fun being the ball boy supplier, when I first met Ed he was a Richard Branson lookalike (he may not appreciate that) and when he was first ill some great evenings visiting him in hospital in London after work.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
There's a small number of people, maybe 20, without whom we might not have a football club. Ed is one. What he didn't know about public inquiries wasn't worth knowing when all the pre-Falmer nonsense was going on. Just seeing Easy 10's avatar reminded me of the "vehicle-bat collision" moment. Lots of love to Ros and the rest of Ed's family.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
What terrible news, and my thoughts are with his family at this time. A true and proper legend of an Albion fan, and he will be greatly missed, but even more greatly remembered
XxX

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very sad news. I vaguely knew him via some meetings we had at the AMEX regarding disabled transport. But should we ever bump into each other he'd always say hello.

RIP

An Albion legend on this wonderful forum and in the fight for Falmer. I only knew him on here and Twitter and he was the type of person you listened to and learned from.
RIP M'Lord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda

English & European
Was a privilege to have know and shared a few drinks before and after games with Ed at both Withdean and the Amex. My thoughts are with his rock and wife, Roz at this terrible time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here