Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2734353637383940 ... LastLast
    Members

13 Not allowed!
    I met Ed twice. This thread bought tears to my eyes the awful C word is very close to me. Wierdly I had just put all my spare change into a Macmillan fund box before I opened this thread

Not long after I joined NSC I had been in Brighton for 3 years this was back in C2003. IIRC correctly it was pride weekend and I lived on Preston Park and wanted to find a country pub to escape the mayhem. So LB pops up and told me about a rambler bus which started at I cant remember where - Cuckmere I think which passed about 17 pubs and did an hourly loop. So it was intended for country walkers but myself and friends turned up got on the bus and a guy dropped us off at all the best ones picking us up hourly and telling us about the best ales. What a day it was all these people on the bus on and off and going for their walk lol and us lot using the drivers advice for whats the next best pub
    There was a sign above the drivers seat saying Ed Bassford. I said do you know someone called Mr Bracknell and he laughed at me and said are you from NSC Thats me

He was so friendly and tolerant with us even let us have a game of cricket on his mini bus Top man in so many ways NSC will never be able to replace Ed. Best of love to Roz and family who I never had the pleasure to meet x. Matt

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I met Ed twice. This thread bought tears to my eyes the awful C word is very close to me. Wierdly I had just put all my spare change into a Macmillan fund box before I opened this thread

Not long after I joined NSC I had been in Brighton for 3 years this was back in C2003. IIRC correctly it was pride weekend and I lived on Preston Park and wanted to find a country pub to escape the mayhem. So LB pops up and told me about a rambler bus which started at I cant remember where - Cuckmere I think which passed about 17 pubs and did an hourly loop. So it was intended for country walkers but myself and friends turned up got on the bus and a guy dropped us off at all the best ones picking us up hourly and telling us about the best ales. What a day it was all these people on the bus on and off and going for their walk lol and us lot using the drivers advice for whats the next best pub
      There was a sign above the drivers seat saying Ed Bassford. I said do you know someone called Mr Bracknell and he laughed at me and said are you from NSC Thats me

He was so friendly and tolerant with us even let us have a game of cricket on his mini bus Top man in so many ways NSC will never be able to replace Ed. Best of love to Roz and family who I never had the pleasure to meet x. Matt
      And here it is > http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...ut-of-Brighton
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.
      Gone Wrong Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Can't remember the circumstances now, but at some point in the dark and distant NSC past Ed became the first and last recipient of an honorary NSC knighthood.

So became Sir Lord Bracknell
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      Thanks @Bozza dunno how you found that so quickly! What a great day he gave us, we clearly werent up for a ramble/country walk! I really do wish his family well. RIP and so sorry he didnt get to see us in the prem

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
      Thanks @Bozza dunno how you found that so quickly! What a great day he gave us, we clearly werent up for a ramble/country walk! I really do wish his family well. RIP and so sorry he didnt get to see us in the prem
      Google was my friend: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...hrome&ie=UTF-8

(Which is where you'll see Ed getting the very same bus service mentioned on a thread about Somali pirates. Classic NSC, that!)
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.

22 Not allowed!
      Talking of buses - anyone think it would be a good idea to apply to have Ed's name on the front of a Brighton & Hove Bus?
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      Talking of buses - anyone think it would be a good idea to apply to have Ed's name on the front of a Brighton & Hove Bus?
      I'd name a bloody stand after him!
      Gone Wrong Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Absolutely!
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

13 Not allowed!
      That is a bloody good idea. The stalwarts at B+H buses will remember Ed well, and I'm sure be amenable to the idea.

I knew Ed for 25 years, since he was a client of mine in the public transport planning world. We had the job of evaluating tender bids for those extra services that ESCC procured. This was a complex multi-million problem, since there were many conditional bids dependent on the combination of services tendered. I had a team up half the night working out the combinations and came to the meeting the next day with Ed with a recommendation as to the best value-for-money bid. Needless to say, he had done all the calculations himself as a back-up. I was relieved that we had come to the same answer(!) Ed was rarely wrong on such matters, and even if he was he took some convincing so.

I also remember fondly his appearances at Lewes bonfire. We had an office opposite the Law Courts, a perfect spot for a party overlooking the parade. He led a Morris dancing side in the procession and when he appeared beneath our window, an offer of a beer was gladly accepted. He managed to catch the tinnie hurled, and proceeded to open and drink it without breaking step from the Morris jig in progress.

More recently, Ed would always stop for a chat at Albion games and made a point of buying his TSLR and encouraging others to do so. He was a total one-off, a proper character who did as much as anyone to further the cause. I last chatted to him and Roz at the Build a Bonfire gig at the Komedia, and whilst he looked frail I thought he ws doing ok. He will be very sadly missed by me and clearly many, many others.

Cheers to you Ed, RIP.

PG
      Harry!Harry!Harry!

0 Not allowed!
      So sad to learn of m'Lord's passing.

RIP Ed. A true Albion legend.