Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I commented earlier in this post but never having met Ed 'LB', I read his posts with a little more care and consideration than any others on NSC. His knowledge and passion for our club shone through and as in life ( bringing fans and club together in one cause ) his passing has brought many together to remember his selfless acts on behalf of the team he supported. It shows how well respected/regarded the man was when some many original members of NSC come out of exile/retirement to pay homage to the great man.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Words cannot express how sad this makes me. RIP Lord B

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I didn't know LB aside from recognising his pic from NSC, and as such i didn't realise how much he did for the club until tonight.

WELL. DONE. SIR.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It is very evident that every one of us, and indeed the club itself, owes a huge debt of gratitude to Ed.
How fitting that this book of condolences is #285 and rising with nothing but positive praise for the man and all the excellent work he did for our club.
A top bloke and no mistake ....
RIP Ed
Condolences to Ros and all the family at this difficult and sad time.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My favourite paragraph from 'We Want Falmer' (page 116):

'ED BASSFORD: This was the era of the leaked document, so we knew of the likelihood of a legal challenge. I was phoned up by a Lewes District councillor and told that work was being done on mounting a legal challenge to the decisions. I asked how he knew, and he said he'd seen the report, and I said; "Could I see the report?" And he said; "Of course not." Then the report appeared through my front door later that weekend and I was asked, when you've read it, could you return it please, so the following day it was returned. What happened between it falling through my door and being returned might or might not have involved an email to Martin Perry and the use of a scanner, but I wouldn't know.'

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
RIP

From a fellow blue and white wearing fan

I'm respectful of the incredible amount of work you put in to your club over the years. I just wish I could come close to matching your achievements. Stay proud!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
In the years and decades that lie ahead, Albion supporters yet to be born will gaze up at our beautiful stadium, and marvel at how such a breathtakingly iconic structure ever came into being.

Happily, the club's archive will be on hand to reveal the full extent of the vital role played by Ed Bassford in securing our amazing new home.

It's hard to imagine a more fitting and enduring tribute to such an extraordinary person.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Met him at the cricket a few times. Top bloke.

RIP

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Rest in Peace Lord B.

Thank you for everything.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm so glad he got to see us promoted to the Premier League. A dream fulfilled, but a dream brought to fruition by a lot of hard work and dedication to the cause. LB's efforts in this regard will never be forgotten, as demonstrated by the love for the man on this thread. RIP Lord Bracknell.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Our friend and loyal Albion fan and campaigner sadly lost his hard fought battle with cancer last night. Ed was a warm engaging man who passionately fought the Albion cause through all his contacts from London to Lewes and beyond.

Ed communicated so well, keeping everyone informed in a jargon free clear way - as to the goings on at the numerous Public Inquiries. His work behind the scenes was invaluable and incalculable.

It is no exaggeration to say that quite simply without Ed and his input, there would be no Premiership, no stadium, and in all likelihood no Albion.

We mourn his passing but his legacy is all around - the coming season should be dedicated to his memory.
Our thoughts are with Roz, his children and grandchildren.

We will never forget - rest in peace, a friend and wise man.

Paul Samrah

Sorry for late reply. He will be sorely missed amongst the Albion community

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Shocked and saddened by this news. I didn't know him personally but knew of all his great work for which he earned my total respect. RIP

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I didn't know Ed but simply felt I did by reading of, and hearing about, his immense part in the fight for Falmer.

When I went to the presentation at the Amex to choose my seat for the first season there, Ed was standing close by and I thought, "But for you, I wouldn't be here now."

He is one of our off-the-field legends and it's so unfair that he, along with a few others who also fit into that category, will not be with us for our first game in the Premier League.

Thank you, Ed. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here