Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Very, very sad to hear this news. The weather sums up how we are all feeling. I used to sit behind Ed and Roz from time to time in the h block at th withdean and they had to put up with my shouting and swearing! It must never be forgotten the part he played in our clubs history and I hope that his life will be suitably celebrated by both the club and Fellow NSC and Albion fans. I hope you didn't suffer too much Ed because I know what the ******* Big C can be like. RIP

Last edited:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
RIP Lord B. My thoughts and prayers go to you and your family. Thank you for your drive, passion, commitment and support for The Albion.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Very sad. But how many of us can achieve what he and that dedicated group of fans did? Like Roy, Sarah and Paul, Ed has a 30,000-seater monument.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Smashing photo Phil. Would love to see that up on the big screens at the City match.

I like the photo the club tweeted, of Ed raising a glass of champagne to celebrate promotion this season. Fitting.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
RIP Lord B. Let this season be for you.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
RIP. Very sorry to hear this. My thoughts go to his family. He will be sorely missed on this Board and at Albion matches

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Oh no.... I knew Ed was ill a few years ago and swapped notes with him by email, but thought he was better or at least in remission. What a huge shock. Thoughts and love with Roz and his children.... Newport County for ever! x

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Terrible news. Met him once very briefly. Thanks for everything you have done for every fan to enable us to enjoy football at the AMEX. RIP true. A true BHAFC legend

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A sad loss.
Never met Lord B but so much respect for all he did.
His contributions on here and on Twitter are of a quality matched by all too few of us.
Condolences to his wife and family.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Like many others on here I didn't know him personally but his updates during the Falmer campaign were essential reading.

We have a lot to thank him for.

RIP Ed

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I was once involved in producing the Albion programme and Ed used to provide regular reports on the various public inquiries into the Falmer stadium planning application. He sat through these riveting events for hour after interminable hour, making notes or consigning the details to memory. He submitted reports running to thousands of words a time. Rather than cut a single line we squeezed every excellent word in. As far as I know the Albion programme is the only one in the League ever to carry 3000 word articles on planning issues, all in 7pt type. What a club we are. And what supporters we have.

Ed was a wise, thoughtful and knowledgeable man. He put all those qualities at the disposal of the fight for Falmer, to great and perhaps crucial effect.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
He made a difference, and we have all benefitted from that difference. Great respect to the man and condolences to his family and close friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here