Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gosh those threads, those threads. First thing in the morning, someone would post the Argus headline on here with the latest disaster / delay that had befallen the Falmer planning application. We'd all run around like headless chickens on here in a panic. The told-you-so doom-mongers would all be out in force, "its never going to happen". And then, Lord B would arrive on the thread, dissect the report, put it all in laymans terms, explain the process, get us back on track, and get us re-focussed. I can't remember how many times his wise, sage words soothed my furrowed brow over Falmer, but his was SUCH an authoritive voice on the subject, I just could not help but believe him. It was impossible not to reap such confidence from his utter conviction.

And the old bugger was right. He was right about everything. Just look at where we are now.

I've read this thread with tears in my eyes, especially at the fact that he never quite made it to see us walk out in the Premier League at the Amex. But he played such a huge part in where we are now. What a legacy. What a man.
So, so true. Like you I can't remember the number of times during the Enquiry process I'd hear the latest news and and go into Private Frazer "we're doomed!" mode. (I tried not to post like it but I certainly thought it). I came to depend on Ed's posts and they always made me feel better. At that time I was dealing with some heavy family issues, and the club's woes added greatly to my own. On the 'bad news' days I'd be permanently on-line, desperately scanning the board for the threads that had last poster as 'Lord Bracknell', and his words were better than any drug.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Did not know LB, but recognise him from the photo's that have been posted. Thank you LB for all that you did, rest in peace.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Gosh those threads, those threads. First thing in the morning, someone would post the Argus headline on here with the latest disaster / delay that had befallen the Falmer planning application. We'd all run around like headless chickens on here in a panic. The told-you-so doom-mongers would all be out in force, "its never going to happen". And then, Lord B would arrive on the thread, dissect the report, put it all in laymans terms, explain the process, get us back on track, and get us re-focussed. I can't remember how many times his wise, sage words soothed my furrowed brow over Falmer, but his was SUCH an authoritive voice on the subject, I just could not help but believe him. It was impossible not to reap such confidence from his utter conviction.

And the old bugger was right. He was right about everything. Just look at where we are now.

I've read this thread with tears in my eyes, especially at the fact that he never quite made it to see us walk out in the Premier League at the Amex. But he played such a huge part in where we are now. What a legacy. What a man.

Yes the role he played, not only fighting for our future but also interpreting a perplexing process to the rest of us was so important. His posts had such authority always laced with a brilliant dry sense of humour and he always came across as such a decent and principled person. RIP a true Albion legend and one of a small group of people without whose efforts we would not be about to watch Premier League football in a wonderful stadium.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I was lucky enough to meet, albeit very briefly, both Ed & Roz at the Dripping Pan for REMF 2010, and what a lovely couple they were. Like others on here I used to relish Ed's precise, logical and often humorous posts during the club's struggles to get the stadium built. We are in debt to so many good people for the campaign to save the club but Ed's contribution, for me, stands right up there at the top of the list.
My thoughts are with Roz and Ed's family at this very sad time.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My favourite paragraph from 'We Want Falmer' (page 116):

'ED BASSFORD: This was the era of the leaked document, so we knew of the likelihood of a legal challenge. I was phoned up by a Lewes District councillor and told that work was being done on mounting a legal challenge to the decisions. I asked how he knew, and he said he'd seen the report, and I said; "Could I see the report?" And he said; "Of course not." Then the report appeared through my front door later that weekend and I was asked, when you've read it, could you return it please, so the following day it was returned. What happened between it falling through my door and being returned might or might not have involved an email to Martin Perry and the use of a scanner, but I wouldn't know.'

:lolol:

Ed :bowdown:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Lots of kind words on here, a great man. Had some great chats down the years from the cold wet Withdean days, the wedding, on here and on Twitter. Remember chatting last year when making Christmas might not have been a possibility and he just said balls to it I'm going out and having fun, I'm going to the football and doing what I want to do! An extra 7 months which he saw us get promoted. A tremendous attitude to life! Gutted he didn't get to see just one premier league game. But his work got us to a stadium to make us be able to get to there!

Through him, I met his daughter who was the one who got me into fundraising, one of the best journeys of my life! My thoughts are with the family he leaves behind!

A great bloke. RIP Ed

Some people stand out in life for the wrong reasons

Very few people REALLY stand out in life for the right reasons - Lord B stands out to so many for so much - rarely can one person have such a positive impact in so many ways - Lord B you were an extraordinary person and will live long in the memory of this club and supporters who will never be able to repay you for all that you did.

Thank you and RIP Ed

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
RIP Ed. Privileged to have known you. A Wonderful Man who made a big difference

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Always answered my questions with authority, at length and in an even-handed way.

A really great man.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Such sad news, RIP Lord B.

As others have already said I use to always look out for his posts to get the lowdown on what was really happening regarding the club and its fight for Falmer. Always came across as a true gent.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Never knew him personally but spotted him around and knew of him for years. Very sad news.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ed was a very familar face from down the years and for one season sat immediately in front of me at Withdean. Always enjoyed his wit and banter on match days and often ended up in the same pubs as him and Roz. Such sad news, another of the hardcore campaigners gone. Hard to believe that neither Ed or Paul Whelch will see us play in the Premier League.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Sorry to quote this again, but this is so, so true. And so sad that Ed won't see us in the Premier League at the Amex. But at least he knew we'd got there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here