Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not a frequent poster but a visit often and always enjoyed reading Lord B's contributions to any discussion. His contribution to the pursuit of Falmer was truly significant and we are all grateful for his support efforts.

He will be missed. Thoughts and prayers to all who knew him.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Very sad news indeed. He'll be much missed by all on this forum I'm sure. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Stumpy Tim

A true Albion great, make no mistake. As has been said, without Ed there would be no Falmer. Had some fabulous days with Ed in the old Withdean portacabin NSC corporate days. His legacy lives on in my life through my 6 year old son's devotion to the Albion - no way would that be the case without Ed and his tireless campaigning.

I'll have a Harvey's at the Athletico game in his name

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Ed was always a pleasure to talk with at reserve games and those odd moments during protests or Albion related events. Always so knowledgable and conversations always has a wry bit of humour thrown in. A terrible loss to the Albion family and one who put so much into our clubs survival and growth. We often talked about Newport County FC as well another team he had the pleasure of supporting and following I believe.

His posts were brilliant especially around the fight for and building of our stadium. I will sadly miss his avatar popping up, and with the departure of Alex, Alex Dawson, Oh!, Oh! the cricket forums like the grounds will be more empty and quiet without their great posts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Such very very sad news.

Ed was a lovely man, a good friend to many of us on here and a wise and tireless campaigner on behalf of the Albion. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Ed.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm in tears. All the memories are flooding back. I remember having the pleasure of meeting Roz and Ed the first time in the Nelson after a game. As was the thing on NSC back in the day, I think it was a case of simply offering an open invitation for an impromptu meet-up for anyone who was new to the site to come along. And they did. "Are you Lord and Lady Bracknell?" "Well, I'm Hart's Shirt. And this is Man of Harveys."

Yes, it sounds so clichéd now, but it was really what happened. And I don't think we were any the worse for it. Genuine friendships made face-to-face over drinks...what could be better? Sponsored matches hosted by the larger-than-life Cannarian Seagull (Lance), NSC weddings in Tunbridge Wells (Gezza who proposed at half-time on the Withdean pitch), seriously overindulging in the hospitality in a hospitality box at QPR on Boxing Day, Centenary dinners, more NSC meet-ups, pre-match gatherings in the Sportsman at Withdean, the REMF, and much more.

I'll always be grateful for the opportunity to have met Ed through NSC. In a world that feels increasingly lonely and disconnected at times, this website brought us all together.

So many happy memories of wonderful times that seem so bitter-sweet today.

I hope Roz, Tom, Dan and Megan (NSC's Miss Bracknell) have the chance to read all of our thoughts, memories, tributes and nostalgic recollections, and that it helps a little at this time. So much love to you all.

Ed was one of us.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Thought I'd come on here after many, many years in exile.

So sad to hear of Ed's passing. Ed was a lovely, lovely man. So vastly intelligent, so passionate about fighting for what is right. Always had a smile and a cheeky glint in the eye when we had a chat at Withdean and then at Falmer. He was so influential in the fight to get Falmer, I remember reading his almost daily posts of the long, lengthy court days, where he would be able to make sense of the nonsense that was being said (vehicle / bat collision will live with me forever).

Rest in Peace, Ed (although knowing him, he would be giving them hell somewhere). So much love and condolences to his wonderful family.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I'm in tears. All the memories are flooding back. I remember having the pleasure of meeting Roz and Ed the first time in the Nelson after a game. As was the thing on NSC back in the day, I think it was a case of simply offering an open invitation for an impromptu meet-up for anyone who was new to the site to come along. And they did. "Are you Lord and Lady Bracknell?" "Well, I'm Hart's Shirt. And this is Man of Harveys."

Yes, it sounds so clichéd now, but it was really what happened. And I don't think we were any the worse for it. Genuine friendships made face-to-face over drinks...what could be better? Sponsored matches hosted by the larger-than-life Cannarian Seagull (Lance), NSC weddings in Tunbridge Wells (Gezza who proposed on the Withdean pitches), seriously overindulging in the hospitality in a hospitality box at QPR on Boxing Day, Centenary dinners, more NSC meet-ups, pre-match gatherings in the Sportsman at Withdean, the REMF, and much more.

I'll always be grateful for the opportunity to have met Ed through NSC. In a world that feels increasingly lonely and disconnected at times, this website brought us all together.

So many happy memories of wonderful times that seem so bitter-sweet today.

I hope Roz, Tom, Dan and Megan (NSC's Miss Bracknell) have the chance to read all of our thoughts, memories, tributes and nostalgic recollections, and that it helps a little at this time. Love to you all.

Ed was one of us.

Perfectly said - I remember those days well, and the meet in the Sportman before games.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Sad news. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here