Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Books have you Failed to Finish?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The bible. Keep trying in order to know what I'm talking about when I have a discussion with a christian but tend to fall asleep.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Honestly, i have ploughed on to finish every book I have started.... i alwys think just 30 more pages this has to improve etc...

My GOD i struggled with Life of Pi though... maybe as the OP said, i was just not in the right frame of mind

And although i had not seen the film at the time i read the book, my hopes were very high after everyone had raved about the film.

Anyway i was bloody delighted to finish it and start something else.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Funny how we all see things differently - I loved Catch 22 and The Diceman but I tried to read Capt Corelli's Mandolin several times when everyone I knew was telling me what a fantastic book it was and I just found it the most boring tedious book ever!

Loved "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" but the ending was crap, really weak, but that seems to be a commonly held opinion even by those who loved the book. From memory it was only about the last three pages so it didn't really matter. You of course were fortunate enough never to find out. Now you're probably thinking, "what, it got even worse than it was already?"

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Dead Tedious by Peter James

Not a great writer, but his books are really easy to read because they are so unchallenging. Sometimes that has an appeal. I think I would struggle not to finish a Peter James book only for that reason. For some reason I'm unfamiliar with that particular title. I wonder why???

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Beat IR35

Working as a contractor for the government - hoping to remain as a limited company - when it became evident all public sector contractors were to be pushed in to IR35, I gave up reading it ....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Too many to mention.

Whilst doing my classics degree I had to read many Greek and roman books and got into the habit of just reading what I needed to. Virgil's Aeneid is a good example as I knew what I had to know for an assignment I was doing and therefore skip read bits till I had what I needed.

On another tack, I have actually given up with peter James' books as stupidly I found them too close to home, in that as he described these horrible crimes, I could picture where exactly they were purpotred. I know that is the skill of the author, but I just found them uncomfortable to read. Daft I know!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was given WHAT REMAINS by Tim Weaver
It looks just like the sort of thing I'd like
I tried to get in to it, but just couldn't get on with it and in the end, after about a quarter of the book, I gave in
Its in Barnardo's shop in George Street now if you fancy it

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
Lord of the Rings or anything by Tolkein really.

I love the films and audiobooks/plays but can never really get into the books.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

Pages and pages describing the main character's exercise routines and cosmetic applications, detailed descriptions of his restaurant visits and absolute consumerism, interspersed with savage and random acts of violence.

It wasn't the violence that made me stop, it was the utter tedium of everything surrounding it. An incredibly dull book.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'Lord of The Rings' because, despite introducing/popularising a lot of archetypes to general fantasy it is, unfortunately, thunderously tedious. Buy a Tad Williams book instead, save yourself 400 pages on what the landscape looked like that particular day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
HungryCaterpillar.JPG

It's a book about a wasteful bug with an eating disorder.
I don't see the point of reading past it taking a bite out of salami.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I never finished "Something Happened" by Joseph Heller, despite trying for about 5 years. Also a book by Philip Kerr about a future where pure blood is sold on the open market to the highest bidder as many people have poisoned blood, can't remember the name of the book, but it was blumming difficult to read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here