Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oumar niasse

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd like to be team Palace on this one but let's be clear, Palace knew he was bang average and were understandably a bit uneasy about spending £10m on him (which is why we didn't really compete). I'm sure if Everton had dropped their asking price a bit, nobody would have worried about the agents fees, it's just that he is poor value for the overall cost being quoted.

The only surprise is that Palace didn't just go ahead and do it and then not bother paying local businesses if it proved a bit out of their price range.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that most players set themselves up as a trading company, some limited some private trader. If this is the case surely the agents fees are a tax deductible expense in the same way as many private traders claim their wife as a secretary. I know that some years ago Gary Stevens went to Spurs who paid Gary Stevens Sports a monthly fee and they allowed Gary to play for Spurs.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a shame that the player just can't pay the agent his fee, which is taxed at source, so that the agent receives his payment less tax, like the rest of the human race.

Assuming that a payment is not taxed twice, are you saying that that the player would being paying the tax and the Agent would receive his payment tax free?

As it stands, if a club does pay the agent's fees is that net of tax to the agent?

Just curious. I must confess I have no idea how these things work.

You should never look at tax being due on a particular payment. You should always look at tax being due on a ''movement of monies'' or ''transaction''. In Transfer deals HMRC make the claim that there are 2 transactions.

1. Agents fee is paid to the player because the fee wouldn't have been paid without the services of the player.

2. Player pays the Agent for his part in the transfer deal

HMRC want to tax both transactions and like I said there are a lot of cases are going through the courts where players are contesting this. The courts decisions will be very interesting

That's why you need to get things drawn up separately, with Agent and club because that gives HMRC less grounds for claiming that there is a triangular transaction or movement of monies.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There are more than two ways. The agent could work for the selling club.
The selling club, player and agent are all known before any notion of a transfer, and percentages can be agreed etc. The tax would be fine right?

They could do but there is no way a selling club would do that

1. The have no loyalty to the Agent
2. It would reduce the percentage of the transfer fee they get to keep to themselves

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You should never look at tax being due on a particular payment. You should always look at tax being due on a ''movement of monies'' or ''transaction''. In Transfer deals HMRC make the claim that there are 2 transactions.

1. Agents fee is paid to the player because the fee wouldn't have been paid without the services of the player.

2. Player pays the Agent for his part in the transfer deal

HMRC want to tax both transactions and like I said there are a lot of cases are going through the courts where players are contesting this. The courts decisions will be very interesting

That's why you need to get things drawn up separately, with Agent and club because that gives HMRC less grounds for claiming that there is a triangular transaction or movement of monies.

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like the ones who will really earn their money are the Tax Lawyers you mentioned in the other post. Complicated beast to say the least.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Standing up to bullying money obsessed agents?

Well done and respect to Palace if this is true.

I hope I never have to make a positive Palace post like this again.:blush:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought that most players set themselves up as a trading company, some limited some private trader. If this is the case surely the agents fees are a tax deductible expense in the same way as many private traders claim their wife as a secretary. I know that some years ago Gary Stevens went to Spurs who paid Gary Stevens Sports a monthly fee and they allowed Gary to play for Spurs.

No - Absolutely NOT

A footballer is not an ''Entity'' That's all wrong. If the club has control of where your workplace is then the individual and not any company you may have. The individual must be an employee and subject to PAYE. No way the player you mention ever did that

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1. The have no loyalty to the Agent
Nor does the buying club, it's just the player that does I imagine.
2. It would reduce the percentage of the transfer fee they get to keep to themselves
Well it's just semantics really - when buying a house, the seller pays the fee but in reality it's the buyer paying for everything. People just pay market rate, and fees are included within that, wherever they get added (houses and players).

What we really need to know is why Palace wouldn't pay the fee - was the level of the fee not told to Palace until the last minute (which seems daft) and was it higher than the usual going rate?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ok let me change that, due to no agreement over the agents fees, does this mean now the player doesn't play football as he is not likely to be in their 25?
I do hope so.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ok let me change that, due to no agreement over the agents fees, does this mean now the player doesn't play football as he is not likely to be in their 25?

Possibly - But he is now within his rights to sack his Agent if he is not happy with their role in the matter. Supply and demand

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Don't have too much sympathy, they're all dull boring money grabbing *****.

:whistle:

The good ones - Their clients never find themselves being taxed on monies they don't receive and never find themselves having to go to court to fight to prove that

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The good ones - Their clients never find themselves being taxed on monies they don't receive and never find themselves having to go to court to fight to prove that
Fascinating.

; )

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So am I correct in thinking, that due to the agents greed, the player is unlikely to make Everton's 25, so he just doesn't play football now as the window has closed?
He can sign for a club in Spain today, Czech republic next week etc. etc.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

He certainly wont be playing in the Premier League, the window is still open in Spain tho, if any Spanish clubs can afford the transfer fee, never mind the agents fee. I would suggest those thay can afford it probably wont be interested, but you never know, maybe a club like Deportivo might have suddenly come in to money last night..... Maybe not!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here