Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oumar niasse

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
In my experience, the so-called Boss of Goss knows no more than the average bloke in the pub. It's my impression that TB considers the prices being asked extortionate and refuses to pay ridiculous amounts. And bear in mind that wages, bonuses etc mean that he wants to be sure that we're getting value over the full length of a player's contract.

You will get no argument from me that fees and wages are obsence and I admire our stance to a degree to not give in to these demands. But it's not a stand you can take on your own and you will struggle to compete if everyone else is meeting these demands.
I hope we can find the balance needed or it will be a long season.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Completely agree. You can't survive in this division on the cheap.

It took us 6 years to get up on the cheap, could take even longer to get us back up if 4-5 of our better players decide they want to stay in the PL but elsewhere and CH has to build another team

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You will get no argument from me that fees and wages are obsence and I admire our stance to a degree to not give in to these demands. But it's not a stand you can take on your own and you will struggle to compete if everyone else if meeting these demands.
I hope we can find the balance needed or it will be a long season.

I do find these kinds of arguments confusing and duplicitous, especially when they are coming out the club itself, that we are struggling because of the inflation in the market when the inflation in the market is in response to the new TV money, which we have been in receipt of. That said, I fully expect a couple in before we kick off.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I do find these kinds of arguments confusing and duplicitous, especially when they are coming out the club itself, that we are struggling because of the inflation in the market when the inflation in the market is in response to the new TV money, which we have been in receipt of. That said, I fully expect a couple in before we kick off.

In full agreement. The market has gone bonkers, player prices and wages are astronomical but so are the amounts that clubs are trousering from the TV deal. We can't have our cake and eat it.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
That was my point earlier.. as a club we are in a new world.. need to start living it properly to make everything worthwhile. I read about the Huddersfield chairman who said massive income enables him to get better more expensive players ( 9 totalling around 40mill) so even that is significantly less than money coming in..so why are we determined to spend as little as possible thus giving us a minimal chance of success?
( Nixon now onTwitter is saying we are now looking to spend serious money so something somewhere has to give)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I what's the point in getting into the PL if you never really give it a go?

Completely agree. You can't survive in this division on the cheap.

you will struggle to compete

we are struggling

so why are we determined to spend as little as possible thus giving us a minimal chance of success?

The market has gone bonkersbut so are the amounts that clubs are trousering from the TV deal. We can't have our cake and eat it.

Where (Barber, Bloom, Hughton) have they actually said they a) aren't going to strengthen the squad further b) spend ££m in doing so ? even though they rightly point out its not easy and in the UK especially prices have got out of hand.
Every interview, report and rumour confirms it. they are looking to make 4 more signings/additions. And has done all summer.

Even though, like most other clubs , they've not managed to get it all done just yet.
(Last year we broke out transfer record on August 26th and bought one of the players of the season. )

Hughton: "We want the best [attacking] options we can"
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15439233.Izzy_on_board_but_Albion_still_want_a_No_9/
Bloom: "We have to strengthen"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-splurge-not-looking-spend-huge-amounts.html
Barber: "We know we've got to strengthen our squad "
http://www.brightonandhoveindepende...ikely-to-go-abroad-for-new-signings-1-8079100

Bloom has turned down millions in fees for our squad , and coughed up for players, wages, eye watering new contracts and funded the debt, ground and facilities to the tune of hundreds of millions in the past 7 years yet now it appears you're arguing perversely that he's looking to save the Premier League money, and his personal fortune, up for a rainy day, not interested in giving it a go, and can't be bothered about keeping us in the Prem League. And is incredibly, seemingly naive and out of his comfort zone about whats needed to operate up there.

Why ?

Last edited:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Where (Barber, Bloom, Hughton) have they actually said they a) aren't going to strengthen the squad further b) spend ££m in doing so ? even though they rightly point out its not easy and in the UK especially prices have got out of hand.
Every interview, report and rumour confirms it. they are looking to make 4 more signings/additions. And has done all summer.

Even though, like most other clubs , they've not managed to get it all done just yet.
(Last year we broke out transfer record on August 26th and bought one of the players of the season. )

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15439233.Izzy_on_board_but_Albion_still_want_a_No_9/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-splurge-not-looking-spend-huge-amounts.html
http://www.brightonandhoveindepende...ikely-to-go-abroad-for-new-signings-1-8079100

Bloom has turned down millions in fees for our squad , and coughed up for players, wages, eye watering new contracts and funded the debt, ground and facilities to the tune of hundreds of millions in the past 7 years yet now it appears you're arguing perversely that he's looking to save the Premier League money, and his personal fortune, up for a rainy day, not interested in giving it a go, and can't be bothered about keeping us in the Prem League. And is incredibly, seemingly naive and out of his comfort zone about whats needed to operate up there.

Why ?
I was waiting to see how long it would be before you came out in defence of the club! I know you're a big fan of the way things are run [emoji1] .

On a serious note, how sure are you that we'll get those 3/4 extra players in? If you were a gambling man, would you bet say £200 on that happening? I'm not challenging you to a bet, just genuinely asking how confident you are.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was waiting to see how long it would be before you came out in defence of the club! I know you're a big fan of the way things are run [emoji1] .

On a serious note, how sure are you that we'll get those 3/4 extra players in? If you were a gambling man, would you bet say £200 on that happening? I'm not challenging you to a bet, just genuinely asking how confident you are.

Yes.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
From what I've seen admittedly not a lot there is not enough to suggest this fella will cut it.

Can't stay on his feet looks awkward on the ball and can't finish - and there are calls to sign him up - there are a lot of desperate folk about.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

The inflation in the market is being driven by the clubs at the very top, and there's much more to their income than one season's TV money. Suddenly our 'windfall' is worth in real terms about half what it would have been a year ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Why ?

There you go with your reasonable common sense again.

Licker :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Nothing doing on this one at the moment according to Naylor. On to the next that's if we have a next.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This whole Niasse thing feels like a classic made-up story. Who's unwanted/too expensive at their current club? Who's looking for players in that position? 2 + 2 = any number except 4.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

What he actually says is "not at this stage" which is a notably careful choice of words by him when engaging with fans' speculation.

This whole Niasse thing feels like a classic made-up story. Who's unwanted/too expensive at their current club? Who's looking for players in that position? 2 + 2 = any number except 4.

Interesting that the rumour emanates from the Watford Observer.
It was thought they might take Niasse as their manager took him to Hull. Their local paper looked into it; said no deal there but "sources close to player" saying we were his probable destination. Then picked up by Everton fan sites who speculated that a loan was most likely and probably therefore nearer the end of the window.

None of it lends great credibility or probability but as a source of rumours it is slightly different to the normal "16yr old in a bedroom" dross.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting that the rumour emanates from the Watford Observer.
It was thought they might take Niasse as their manager took him to Hull. Their local paper looked into it; said no deal there but "sources close to player" saying we were his probable destination. Then picked up by Everton fan sites who speculated that a loan was most likely and probably therefore nearer the end of the window.

None of it lends great credibility or probability but as a source of rumours it is slightly different to the normal "16yr old in a bedroom" dross.
The rumour emanates from the Albion all but signing him on loan in January.

Have the Albion maintained their interest or are 'sources close to the player' using the previous interest as a way of flushing out more potential suitors.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
'Sources close to the player' could mean anything. Or, more likely, nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here