Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campsites in Sussex

exeterseagull

May 19, 2008
exeter
A request to all you knowledgeable ones out there. Am off for a south coast road trip with my son staying a night or two in campsites up the south coast. Looking for recommendations for cheap and cheerful campsites where I don't necessarily need to book in advance. The plan is to finish the holiday with the match next weekend v. Athletico which will be his first Amex experience. Looking forward 'in slight trepidation' to all of your kind suggestions..

Starting point - Exeter
Finish point - anywhere not too far from Brighton
Number of stops - 4 or 5

Suggestions what to do along the way also welcome....I think !

Over to you guys....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would certainly stop around the Swanage and Poole Harbour area.
It's a nice part of the south coast and Swanage is a nice little seaside town.
Many years ago there were fields you could just turn up at and pitch a tent, they were above Swanage overlooking the town and out to sea, probably still there.

D

Deleted member 2719

Just pitch up anywhere with a dozen caravans, 20 dogs and 40 kids, it will be free of charge, you can make as much mess and noise as you like and probably steal food from the farmers fields.

It's all legally done.

Seriously, have a great time i have no recommendations of campsites in Sussex just Devon!

Day trips:

Amberley museum
Arundel Castle
Weald and Downland Museum
West Dean gardens

All in the best part of Sussex.:hilton::wink:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The buckle at seaford is pretty good , you are 20 yards from the sea nice and cheap , there is a decent clubhouse , showers are ok (well the one on the right is )

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Burnbake.com lovely campsite in Dorset as one would be a great idea. Nip down along to studland beach or Swanage or Corf very easily from there

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
This is a pop up campsite been going for a few years. Bevendean farm, entrance off Falmer Rd, Woodingdean I believe.
Just checked the pitch rates and not too bad. Ideal for the football ( less than a mile ) and ideal for the A27 if you want to go out on day trips.
https://popupcampsites.com/book-camping-brighton

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don't bother staying in a field. If your on a tight budget u can book ahead for about £50 to a premier inn, not a great hotel chain but at least you will stay warm and have an bathroom

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Always enjoyed Stoneywish camping and nature reserve. It's just on the outskirts of Ditchling. Can get a bit busy at times though and so may not fit with your no booking requirement. My kids love it out there.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Don't bother staying in a field. If your on a tight budget u can book ahead for about £50 to a premier inn, not a great hotel chain but at least you will stay warm and have an bathroom

Premier Inn may not be Claridges but if you can get a decent price (as you have said) you get a comfortable decent bed, clean bathroom with a good shower a proper TV and somewhere to eat and drink with decent Fayre right on your doorstep.
Much better than so many seaside B&B's in this country.
But their top prices are too much in my opinion.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Never understood why anyone would pay to sleep overnight in a field open to the elements with a piece of tarpaulin as protection. There are plenty of hotels for all budgets in Sussex

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'd echo rather swanage/Corfe recommendations. Studland bay is one of the best beaches in the country. Try toms field in Langton matravers

Eweleaze is also on the way, a pop up campsite near Weymouth.

Wowo great for kids and not too far from Brighton.

With all campsites, book in advance, especially during the summer hols

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Don't listen to the crap from people on here who don't know what they are talking about. Camping with your kid is brilliant (you don't say how old they are). We couldn't afford expensive holidays so camped with the (3) kids for years. Kids love camping. You unzip the tent in the morning and tell them to be back before dark, meantime they will turn up every couple of hours for drink, food, plasters and have the time of their lives.

I don't know any campsites round Brighton but the Witterings are great also a site on top of the cliff at Eapres(?) where Broadchurch was filmed. You should be fine during the week but probably best to book Friday and Saturday nights.

Enjoy!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know any campsites round Brighton but the Witterings are great also a site on top of the cliff at Eapres(?) where Broadchurch was filmed. You should be fine during the week but probably best to book Friday and Saturday nights.

Did a weekend with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], his family and another family here: http://www.scotts-farm-camping.co.uk/ and we'd not booked in advance.

Lovely big site, decent facilities and just a short walk to the beach at Wittering.

I'd go back.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Did a weekend with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], his family and another family here: http://www.scotts-farm-camping.co.uk/ and we'd not booked in advance.

Lovely big site, decent facilities and just a short walk to the beach at Wittering.

I'd go back.

Another vote for Scotts Farm. If it's a nice weekend we will often pack up the trailer and go down.

Really good, flat site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here