Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Close of play, Day One

England 171-4 (59 overs)

Alastair Cook 82* Ben Stokes 21*

Root 29, Westley 25, Malan 1, Jennings 0 were the wickets.

Vernon Philander was clearly the bowler of the day despite missing quite a bit of the day with a dodgy tummy: 12-5-17-2

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We've done it!!!! OK, it was only 7 overs :)

Would the bookies have paid out or would they have put a minimum over stipulation on the bet. The only down side is that when we start we usually lose wickets quickly so expect Cook and Stokes to go early on tomorrow, although I would love to see both get centuries.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Would the bookies have paid out or would they have put a minimum over stipulation on the bet. The only down side is that when we start we usually lose wickets quickly so expect Cook and Stokes to go early on tomorrow, although I would love to see both get centuries.
No idea what sort of markets the bookies have. Pretty sure you could find a way of making that bet on the exchanges like Betfair... no clue what the odds would have been though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
OT - What the **** has happened to cricinfo? The site's been 'improved' and in the way of these things is now almost unusable - plus it didn't seem to autorefresh. I've switched to cricbuzz

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has everyone forgotten about this??

Cook gone this morning, to a REALLY marginal LBW decision - the kind that wouldn't have been given 9 times out of 10, in pre-DRS times. Real shame. deserved a ton for toughing it out yesterday.

England currently 198/5.

Bensgrandad will NOT be enjoying how Stokes and Bairstow are playing right now...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has everyone forgotten about this??

Cook gone this morning, to a REALLY marginal LBW decision - the kind that wouldn't have been given 9 times out of 10, in pre-DRS times. Real shame. deserved a ton for toughing it out yesterday.

England currently 198/5.

Bensgrandad will NOT be enjoying how Stokes and Bairstow are playing right now...

Got it on in the background....BS and JB making it look like a different game on a different pitch at the moment. Aggressive stuff with some fantastic shots being played.

I know. That's ****ed it then. :down:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Got it on in the background....BS and JB making it look like a different game on a different pitch at the moment. Aggressive stuff with some fantastic shots being played.

I know. That's ****ed it then. :down:

New ball due in 5 overs...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bairstow gone for 36 (in just over an hour :nono: ) but a pretty decent session for England - 80-odd runs for 2 wickets.

Looks like Philander out of the attack for the day. Game still balanced, but a significant partnership between Stokes and Moeen could take this away from SA.

Meanwhile, unfortunate SCCC news, on the BBC live feed:

Matt Machan

Here's more on the news that Sussex and Scotland player Matt Machan has retired because of a wrist injury:

Machan, in a statement released by Sussex, said: “It is with great sadness and an extremely heavy heart that I have to announce my retirement from the professional game due to a wrist injury. Following medical advice, my long-term health is most important to me and I have to take that into account."

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Decent morning for England... Ben Stokes 64* and Jonny Bairstow 36... England 269-6... 98 runs 2 wkts in the session... and it is still cloudy but not raining yet!
6ae1a2224b2013763b39c32e2723877c.jpg

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Matt Machan

Here's more on the news that Sussex and Scotland player Matt Machan has retired because of a wrist injury:

Machan, in a statement released by Sussex, said: “It is with great sadness and an extremely heavy heart that I have to announce my retirement from the professional game due to a wrist injury. Following medical advice, my long-term health is most important to me and I have to take that into account."

Too much :wanker:?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I'm aware. Paying players in that standard of league is just wrong. As evidenced by this score, the captain gets paid per run so always bats first and never declares. http://rmu.play-cricket.com/website/results/2913558

Yep, that's the lot. Making a mockery of the league.

I played against them 2-3 years ago (div 6 I think). We got him caught off a no ball early on.............and actually got him out in the 12th over. For about 115.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here