Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our 16 year old student mugged by Portslade station last night 9pm

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We have a 16 year old foreign student staying with us, who was near his friends house, on Boundary road last night when he was mugged by a few young men.

He's fine. Afterwards he asked a passer by to call the police, who refused, and then he went in to the Arabic food shop (corner of Portland rd) and asked them to call the police, and they told him to **** off. Nice.

He eventually got hold of the police by flagging down a passing police car. He gave them all the details, but they haven't given him a report number, presumably they should have. I've like to call them and check they've got a record of the crime etc.

Is it not a duty of citizens here to call the police when someone asks?

Go on Trig you know it makes sense...might give the young un a bit of confidence in the Police and the rest of his stay etc if he knew they took it seriously

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
We have a 16 year old foreign student staying with us, who was near his friends house, on Boundary road last night when he was mugged by a few young men.

He's fine. Afterwards he asked a passer by to call the police, who refused, and then he went in to the Arabic food shop (corner of Portland rd) and asked them to call the police, and they told him to **** off. Nice.

He eventually got hold of the police by flagging down a passing police car. He gave them all the details, but they haven't given him a report number, presumably they should have. I've like to call them and check they've got a record of the crime etc.

what's his level of english?

was the person he asked for help even english (these days and time of year,maybe not)

were the muggers even english?

arabic shop :lol:

what was taken?

often these cases have far more to them than face value

blimey trig,abit vague

he hasn't just lost his mobile then stuck 2 pencils up his nose with his underpants on his head? :wink:

wibble

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Just playing devil's advocate and I would be initially suspicious of anyone running up to me at 21:00 saying they'd been the victim of a robbery. What if they were trying to lure me into a false sense of security, or distract me? Now, if the foreign exchange student had a limited grasp of English, the mix-up in communication may not have helped either.

Obviously I feel sorry for the lad, and the thugs who robbed him are scum, but hopefully there is a rational explanation for why people didn't help.

Or maybe the passersby were just ***** after all. Perhaps they were just *****.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hope he's alright and at least you've registered the crime again.

Taught for language schools from the late 70's to mid 80's a common occurrence then. Even had to go to court with a student to face one bunch. Met the gang on the beach a month later and they apologised and bought me a beer. Not sure what that signifies.

Never been in the shop on the corner but I'm sure, if he'd have gone in the Syrian run shop Tiba just down from there, he'd have been looked after.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

was the person he asked for help even english (these days and time of year,maybe not)

were the muggers even english?

what was taken?

blimey trig,abit vague

he hasn't just lost his mobile then stuck 2 pencils up his nose with his underpants on his head? :wink:

wibble

I'd sign up for the Police Sherlock, if I were you, to meet like minded people.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Just playing devil's advocate and I would be initially suspicious of anyone running up to me at 21:00 saying they'd been the victim of a robbery. What if they were trying to lure me into a false sense of security, or distract me? Now, if the foreign exchange student had a limited grasp of English, the mix-up in communication may not have helped either.

Obviously I feel sorry for the lad, and the thugs who robbed him are scum, but hopefully there is a rational explanation for why people didn't help.

Or maybe the passersby were just ***** after all. Perhaps they were just *****.
I agree, I'd be hesitant to get my phone out given the circumstance. When I was a teenager on holiday, someone came up to me and asked for the time, when I lifted my arm up the bloke grabbed it off my arm and ran away!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hope he's alright and at least you've registered the crime again.

Taught for language schools from the late 70's to mid 80's a common occurrence then. Even had to go to court with a student to face one bunch. Met the gang on the beach a month later and they apologised and bought me a beer. Not sure what that signifies.

Never been in the shop on the corner but I'm sure, if he'd have gone in the Syrian run shop Tiba just down from there, he'd have been looked after.

In my experience, as a local, Tiba are lovely and this new crew are c***s. Often see a cabbie in there whose daughter was at my kids' school and used to park deliberately in front of the school gates on the yellow zig zags. How do I know? Because he parks the same cab on the double yellows on the corner of Boundary & Portland. Fun when the gates go down.

Hope your student's ok Trig. Both those who refused to help are morally bankrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

Christ there are some horrible scumbags about. Bad enough being mugged but then nobody assisting him making it worse. What the *** is up with some people?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
So sorry to hear this Trig. Makes you ashamed to live around here sometimes. Hope your student is OK and realizes that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and 99.99% of locals are decent citizens. I've just watched a garden make-over programme that was improved for a WW2 POW surviver who lives in Eastbourne. It's chaps like this that allow us to live the lives we choose. Some utter scum bags don't deserve to benefit from this hero's suffering. I know what I'd do if I caught them.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Without going too off point, this is precisely why drugs should be made legal and sold by pharmacies. It would stop users committing crime to feed their habit and would also stop crime perpetrated by dealers.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

not quite the point I was trying to make!! is this really "precisely why drugs should be made legal"???? absolute boll***s

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Some countries (I believe France is one) make it a legal requirement to render assistance to somebody in distress with penalties for failing to do so. Quite how you implement this is another matter. Other countries now have Good Samaritan rules which give a person legal immunity should the person being helped decide to bring legal action against the person trying to help them – one reason presumably a lot of people choose not to get involved.

It all seems like a lot of hard work to make people do something which should be the natural reaction of any normal decent human being.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

I would suggest you report to the Police Commissioner Katy Bourne and would hope she would get back to you.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Personally I have never felt unsafe walking around Portslade, but clearly others not only must be safe they should not be mugged and if are subjected to crime they should have an expectation of assistance.

I would also look to get in touch with your local councillor to see what they are doing to make the streets of Portslade safe.

The local economy depends heavily on foreign students and there should be an effort to ensure they are welcomed and not targeted.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

The shop should be shunned and the locals made aware. Send them out of business!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Without going too off point, this is precisely why drugs should be made legal and sold by pharmacies. It would stop users committing crime to feed their habit and would also stop crime perpetrated by dealers.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

The junkies have still got to buy it though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Excellent.
was the person he asked for help even english
They were running a middle eastern food shop, so I doubt they're a native, but they would have spoken English well enough.
What's funny?
what was taken?
His phone.
Interesting, tell me more.
blimey trig,abit vague
What's vague?

wibble
I don't know why you think it's funny. I've talked to him enough about it to know he didn't make it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here