Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our 16 year old student mugged by Portslade station last night 9pm

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We have a 16 year old foreign student staying with us, who was near his friends house, on Boundary road last night when he was mugged by a few young men.

He's fine. Afterwards he asked a passer by to call the police, who refused, and then he went in to the Arabic food shop (corner of Portland rd) and asked them to call the police, and they told him to **** off. Nice.

He eventually got hold of the police by flagging down a passing police car. He gave them all the details, but they haven't given him a report number, presumably they should have. I've like to call them and check they've got a record of the crime etc.

Is it not a duty of citizens here to call the police when someone asks?

But your first instinct was to post a new thread on here.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
True. The lady I spoke to was really helpful, but it's 2017 FFS, how difficult can it be to have a system where all crimes are reported and the easily accessible by name and date etc? Several times she put me on hold while trying to find any reference to the case.

It depends whether the incident was actually reported as a crime in the first place. Under normal circumstances the scenario would unfold thus:

Your student flags down a passing police car and he explains what has happened.

The officers will inform their control that they are dealing with an incident - this fact is logged by control.

Depending on what your student has actually described as happening will result in what happens next.

If a crime such as robbery(theft + violence or threat of violence) has been committed then the officers would, in an ideal world, have carried out an immediate investigation, driven around with the victim to try and identify suspects, take descriptions, circulate descriptions etc, seek cctv evidence, taken full personal details from the victim, drive the victim home if appropriate and then finally get back to the station to type all this up on a crime report which would generate its own unique reference number which would also be cross referenced with the initial call the officers made to their control.

The investigation would then continue, over the coming days and possibly over the coming months to a conclusion.

Now all this is in a perfect world and there may be many reasons that the above was not, could not or may not have been carried out. None of us were there so we do not know. At least your call to police will ensure that any allegation of a crime is reported correctly and that it will be dealt with appropriately.

Apologies for calling your student a she earlier. I wish him all the best. Keep us all updated on what happens

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
why didn't he go back to his friends house?
Maybe because he wanted there to be a chance of the criminals being caught while they were still nearby, I don't know. Maybe I can set up and interview for you and you can investigate further.

Yes. Lots of people here can provide useful suggestions, as indeed they have.

It depends whether the incident was actually reported as a crime in the first place. Under normal circumstances the scenario would unfold thus:

Your student flags down a passing police car and he explains what has happened.

The officers will inform their control that they are dealing with an incident - this fact is logged by control.

Depending on what your student has actually described as happening will result in what happens next.

If a crime such as robbery(theft + violence or threat of violence) has been committed then the officers would, in an ideal world, have carried out an immediate investigation, driven around with the victim to try and identify suspects, take descriptions, circulate descriptions etc, seek cctv evidence, taken full personal details from the victim, drive the victim home if appropriate and then finally get back to the station to type all this up on a crime report which would generate its own unique reference number which would also be cross referenced with the initial call the officers made to their control.
There was a reference number, I assume that means it was reported as a crime? They took descriptions of the criminals, they took the boy's details and drove him home. I don't know what else they did.

Now all this is in a perfect world and there may be many reasons that the above was not, could not or may not have been carried out. None of us were there so we do not know. At least your call to police will ensure that any allegation of a crime is reported correctly and that it will be dealt with appropriately.
Well we do know he reported it and that there was a reference number associated with it, as I now have that. Surely that alone should be enough for it to put on one system where it's easy to look up?

Apologies for calling your student a she earlier.
No worries, not important :)
I wish him all the best. Keep us all updated on what happens
Thanks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We have a 16 year old foreign student staying with us, who was near his friends house, on Boundary road last night when he was mugged by a few young men.

He's fine. Afterwards he asked a passer by to call the police, who refused, and then he went in to the Arabic food shop (corner of Portland rd) and asked them to call the police, and they told him to **** off. Nice.

I trust you've not let the lad down by failing to point out - in person - to 'the Arabic food shop' their failings in their customer-facing skills...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm not sure it was. But NSC is a very diverse community linked with a single interest and for all the bickering at times it does all come together for people. I think posting on here is as valid as sharing a concern in any other arena.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm not sure it was. But NSC is a very diverse community linked with a single interest and for all the bickering at times it does all come together for people. I think posting on here is as valid as sharing a concern in any other arena.

Oh it was only a little dig in the ribs. Hope the kids OK. This isn't normal Portslade behaviour.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I trust you've not let the lad down by failing to point out - in person - to 'the Arabic food shop' their failings in their customer-facing skills...
You're suggesting that I go and talk to a shop? Do I talk to the doors, or maybe stand back a bit so I can talk to the whole shop in general?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This isn't normal Portslade behaviour.

But this is...

"Trolleys thrown on woman's car from Portslade multi-storey car park"

&

"Armed robbers hold up Co-op in Abinger Road, Portslade"

Oh and this To the day even how spooky

"Man charged with mugging in Portslade
- July 27, 2012
A 38-year-old man has been charged with mugging a teenage boy in Portslade earlier this week.
Mark Cawfield, of no fixed address, is due to appear at Brighton Magistrates’ Court this morning (Friday 27 July) where he will be charged with the robbery.
The robbery is alleged to have taken place in Locks Hill, Portslade, at about 10.20pm on Tuesday (24 July)."

"

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You're suggesting that I go and talk to a shop? Do I talk to the doors, or maybe stand back a bit so I can talk to the whole shop in general?

Not entirely different from your title saying that the student was mugged by Portslade station. Does it have arms? :wink:

Hope the student is ok.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But this is...

&

- July 27, 2012
A 38-year-old man has been charged with mugging a teenage boy in Portslade earlier this week.
Mark Cawfield, of no fixed address, is due to appear at Brighton Magistrates’ Court this morning (Friday 27 July) where he will be charged with the robbery.
The robbery is alleged to have taken place in Locks Hill, Portslade, at about 10.20pm on Tuesday (24 July)."

"

The Euro 96 student stabbing too - http://www.upi.com/Archives/1996/06/27/UK-soccer-fans-riot-after-Euro-96-loss/2543835848000/

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
But this is...

&

- July 27, 2012

"

Ooo I didn't know we had a multi storey carpark.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You know exactly what I mean.
Sort of, but my point is that it may be a different member of staff in the shop, and having a go at them would be a bit weird.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sort of, but my point is that it may be a different member of staff in the shop, and having a go at them would be a bit weird.

Point taken. But most of these guys work very long hours as a given. Go along on the same day at the same time and you'll almost guarantee the same guy will be there. I can sort of understand their attitude of not wanting to become involved. A bit like the police's attitude really. But both those parties need taking to account. These are the civilised rules we sort of count on living by. Else everything falls apart.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sorry to hear about this Trig. Bunch of *****, and a very very poor show from the people of Portslade......

Pedant Alert:
Boundary Road where Al Jazeera is located is actually in Hove. Station Road, the west side of Boundary Road is Portslade. Same road, but a different name for each side, each in a different town. So in defence of Portsladians it was a poor show from the people of Hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here