Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PL wins anti-piracy legal case

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40727972

The Premier League has been awarded a High Court order for the forthcoming 2017-18 season, which will help it combat the illegal streaming of games.

The blocking order will require UK Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to prevent people from illegally accessing streams of its matches.

It will allow the league to combat the illicit sale and use of devices such as pre-loaded IPTV and Kodi boxes.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40727972

The Premier League has been awarded a High Court order for the forthcoming 2017-18 season, which will help it combat the illegal streaming of games.

The blocking order will require UK Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to prevent people from illegally accessing streams of its matches.

It will allow the league to combat the illicit sale and use of devices such as pre-loaded IPTV and Kodi boxes.

VPN

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Err...ok

batman-e1440675538517.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A battle they have to fight but I can't see it working.

They will relatively soon I'm afraid.

It gets easier when delivery is mostly by internet.

Invisibly watermark the video signal unique to the subscriber. If that appears somewhere it shouldn't kill the signal at source.

This technology is already in place where a copy of something appears. That's already too late. If you are monitoring a live event and you find it you cut the source.

It's 100% easier with social media because people talk. Go the link, decode the watermark and cut off the stream.

It's one the reason the distributors are moving away from satellite.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This whole area is something I'm frankly a little bit worried about, as it's clear the rights owners are really stepping up their game after a few years of easy street for the streamers.

Not with me watching dodgy feeds, but with it streams being discussed and linked to on NSC which could spell big trouble for either the person circulating the link and/or NSC (me) itself. In all likelihood, I'll have to respectfully ask that people keep that stuff off of here.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
This whole area is something I'm frankly a little bit worried about, as it's clear the rights owners are really stepping up their game after a few years of easy street for the streamers.

Not with me watching dodgy feeds, but with it streams being discussed and linked to on NSC which could spell big trouble for either the person circulating the link and/or NSC (me) itself. In all likelihood, I'll have to respectfully ask that people keep that stuff off of here.

You are correct, of course.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

A lot of boards for sports like boxing insist any talk of streams for PPV's etc is kept to PM's and ban any direct talk of them on any thread

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This place really needs some sort of NWS thing for images. Twice today I've gone into threads and had a picture flash up I don't really want to see whilst at work.

Of course it could be argued I shouldn't be on here whilst at work but you try doing my job for ten minutes without succumbing to the crushing boredom.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So, rather than cut off all illegal feeds, why not go down another route?
Sky & BT are expensive, no ifs or buts, just expensive. Why not sell the matches individually at a decent price (I know about NOW TV) but I mean decent price.
Start with each clubs TV station (Seagulls TV in our case). £40 for every game radio coms. £60 to include away games TV coverage. £120 for every PL game all teams except your own home games.
Look at music and the pirates. Home taping and all that. Now millions pay £10 month for unlimited music.
Give us something at a decent price and people will pay.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Invisibly watermark the video signal unique to the subscriber. If that appears somewhere it shouldn't kill the signal at source.

This technology is already in place where a copy of something appears. That's already too late. If you are monitoring a live event and you find it you cut the source.

It's 100% easier with social media because people talk. Go the link, decode the watermark and cut off the stream.

It's not usually an individuals feed that is used. The feed is intercepted prior to it going anywhere near a consumer. Sky already do that sort of thing when you see numbers flash up in the corner of a transmission.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Do we live in a first world country of North Korea? Our government act like a dictatorship sometimes telling us what we can and can't do

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

I'm not so sure. I'm not fussed about sky or bt as I have all the sports channels. If I was to use kodi and I'm not saying I do (!) It would be to get the games that are not on sky or BT ie the games on worldwide TV .

I suspect it would be too onerous and complicated to police every other countries channels.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
So, rather than cut off all illegal feeds, why not go down another route?
Sky & BT are expensive, no ifs or buts, just expensive. Why not sell the matches individually at a decent price (I know about NOW TV) but I mean decent price.
Start with each clubs TV station (Seagulls TV in our case). £40 for every game radio coms. £60 to include away games TV coverage. £120 for every PL game all teams except your own home games.
Look at music and the pirates. Home taping and all that. Now millions pay £10 month for unlimited music.
Give us something at a decent price and people will pay.

So that's basically what they do in the States. I have subscribed to NBA League Pass for years now and that's brilliant.

For me there is no possibility to see all Brighton games legally as I do not live in UK. I would be happy to pay for the service.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do we live in a first world country of North Korea? Our government act like a dictatorship sometimes telling us what we can and can't do

The independent judiciary decided.

Without any protection for the PL and broadcasters, the whole thing would collapse. Which ultimately would be a blow for players and agents.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
These are the same laws that were in place at the end of last season?
If so they will work to an extent but if you really want to find a match and watch it on your computer you can and will be able to. Can't see them coming after individuals more on companies who stream the illegal games or those advertising the links (NSC should be aware). What there after is shutting as many loop holes as they can. Unfortunately for them they have no way of shutting down everything and there will always be a way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here