Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The £3bn clean air strategy does not include a scrappage scheme, calling previous ones "poor value" for money.

In 2010 I purchased a new VW Polo through the then scrappage scheme.
In total I received £2000, £1000 from VW and £1000 from the government for my crappy old Peugeot 205, which I didn't regard as a poor value.

I suppose on the plus side, we will all be in a Scalextric world :)

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it will prompt industry and government into how they deal with infrastructure problems with electric (or other) vehicles. we've yet to see how viable they are in the long term, with cost of replacement batteries and disposal of old apparently underrepresented.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's going to be a £29 billion shortfall in tax revenue at today's prices and a lot of investment in charging points needed. Sure battery charging will change by 2040.

I'll certainly have time to enjoy the 3.4 Litre V6 Toyota Granvia Ambulance Japanese Import I've ordered. LPG to be added I hasten to add.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
it will prompt industry and government into how they deal with infrastructure problems with electric (or other) vehicles.
1 chicken...2 chickens...3

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Plenty of time, pity the government flogged off the green investment bank. Now that might have come in handy

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The grid wouldn't handle millions of cars all plugged in of an evening

It might be that LPG/hydrogen/AN other technology is preferred over electric (though electric seems most likely at the moment). The two main problems are:
a) supply and b) shit storage (battery) technology both in terms of renewables and the cars themselves.

The Plan is here for those interested. I've not fully digested it yet:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._data/file/632986/air-quality-plan-detail.pdf

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Hmmm, that'll leave a huge hole in the fuel duty and VAT revenue - they'll have to find another way of fleecing us ....

All be 80 then, so unlikely I'll be able to afford a new car anyway, so will need to run around in my old petrol / diesel banger.

What will happen to all the old classic cars if petrol is banned - is that the end of the old crocks run to Brighton?
And what about my petrol lawnmower, where will I get the petrol for that if it's banned?

#nevergonnahappen ....

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
It might be that LPG/hydrogen/AN other technology is preferred over electric (though electric seems most likely at the moment). The two main problems are:
a) supply and b) shit storage (battery) technology both in terms of renewables and the cars themselves.

The Plan is here for those interested. I've not fully digested it yet:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._data/file/632986/air-quality-plan-detail.pdf

Wow. We already have a LEZ. Was not aware of that. Seems quite weak though. Taxis must make of a significant proportion of NO2 emissions in the city centre so quite they are not being required to adhere to less polluting engines is puzzling.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/con...l-transport-and-road-safety/low-emission-zone

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hmmm, that'll leave a huge hole in the fuel duty and VAT revenue - they'll have to find another way of fleecing us ....

All be 80 then, so unlikely I'll be able to afford a new car anyway, so will need to run around in my old petrol / diesel banger.

What will happen to all the old classic cars if petrol is banned - is that the end of the old crocks run to Brighton?
And what about my petrol lawnmower, where will I get the petrol for that if it's banned?

#nevergonnahappen ....

We could have a joint 80th, if you want. I take it the ban will be on new sales. Otherwise 2019 won't be a good year for petrol and diesel car sales.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

#nevergonnahappen ....

I'll pass on your concerns to my daughter the next time she is in hospital with breathing problems.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

#nevergonnahappen ....

New ars banned. Suspect there will be a transition period of a few years

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

#nevergonnahappen ....

It's sales of new cars, not banning petrol / diesel cars. So petrol / diesel will still be needed - albeit at a diminishing rate.

However, 23 years' time is still a long way away, with no rhyme or reason as to why this date was picked. This policy is merely tinkering at the sides, and doesn't address ongoing pollution issues.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's sales of new cars, not banning petrol / diesel cars. So petrol / diesel will still be needed - albeit at a diminishing rate.

However, 23 years' time is still a long way away, with no rhyme or reason as to why this date was picked. This policy is merely tinkering at the sides, and doesn't address ongoing pollution
or transportation issues

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or transportation issues

Actually, it does to a point.

The money being given to local authorities is with a view to altering - where necessary - road layouts, traffic flow and so on to improve air quality. This might well include new bus/cycle lanes. Of course, it depends how many local authorities (a) need that money and (b) have in place a plan which they can now afford.

Traffic itself may not be so directly affected. As soon as people know that an electric car is as reliable, as good performance-wise, as economical, and as good all-round as what they have now, there will be a hastening to switch. Industry's challenge is to give people something they already have in terms of experience and lifestyle, but with fewer environmental concerns.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here