Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

I am very very unlikely to be around to see this but I am living through the change and its an exciting time

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
...and the will to take up this approach. currently its estimated to cost £18bn (!) to introduce smart meters, they'e met resistance from both consumers and industry as not really fulfilling the original potential. im not saying it cant happen, just we've been here before (albeit not quite so far down the road) with hydrogen fuel cells and more recently solar panels. recall we were going to have solar installed on every new build, that got shelved. people (doesnt bother me personally) dont like solar panels on homes, installation costs were high and the tariffs were scrapped. imagine rocking up to buy a new Ford Electra, £20k on the road + £5k battery supply +£2k install. oh you live in a flat? sorry cant provide im afraid, unless you're in a area supplied by Virgin Power? no? sorry. the imagination of Musk and friends are well ahead of reality for practical, wide spread, everyday purposes, some problems can be solved with research, better costs, adjusted around, but some just wont budge. petroleum base vehicles are so ubiquitous because despite their flaws (very inefficient) they are very convenient, and set a high bar for their replacement.

I won''t deny that electric cars are currently comparatively expensive however their are a lot of cost saving benefits such as running costs of 2p a mile, no vehicle tax, low BIK and 3 areas in the centre of Brighton where you can park and charge for free! The costs are also coming down all the time and in a few years there will be little difference.

Also I think you are getting a little hung up on the charging at home issue, I was talking to a tesla driver the other day who has no option to charge at home but still runs his vehicle in Brighton.

With the right number of rapid charging stations and cars with ranges of 400 miles plus, there really wont necessarily be the need to charge at home, if that facility isn't available to you.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Simply unintelligent thinking. The electricity comes to the building from below. Where ever the car is parked the building would need to add metered electrical charging stations.

What about in towns where many people can't even park on their own street ?
Are you saying every single parking space in Britain will have its own charging point ? Never going to happen !

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What about in towns where many people can't even park on their own street ?
Are you saying every single parking space in Britain will have its own charging point ? Never going to happen !

Obviously not. Those people would have to get their charge at a charging station in their neighborhood. People's homes don't produce petrol for petrol cars now. I was just pointing out that running cables to the top of apartment towers is silly and that electricity comes from below and could be delivered and metered from below.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
No idea where all the materials are going to come from to manufacture these batteries for cars, buses, houses, etc. It's been hard so far just supplying the demand for mobiles, tablets and PC's. And as for shipping batteries around the world these days it's a total nightmare due to all the safety legislation. In theory a nice idea but the reality is going to be a massive challenge.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Obviously not. Those people would have to get their charge at a charging station in their neighborhood. People's homes don't produce petrol for petrol cars now. I was just pointing out that running cables to the top of apartment towers is silly and that electricity comes from below and could be delivered and metered from below.
I appreciate your point of view and my comment towards extension leads was slightly tongue in cheek.

As for the charging stations.......that is where it's all going to to go wrong people will not go to charging stations to charge their cars, society is too lazy, and everything has to be instant.
It's for this reason I think hybrids will become the norm, people will still be able to jump in their car without thinking about it, safe in the knowledge that their engine is charging their electric motor.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
No just a 2001 ex ambulance, hi top, LWB, rust free 34,000 miles and ready for a self design camper conversion. Needs LPG for certain.

Would be great to see some pictures! I have been thinking about either buying a already completed camper or building one myself.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I appreciate your point of view and my comment towards extension leads was slightly tongue in cheek.

As for the charging stations.......that is where it's all going to to go wrong people will not go to charging stations to charge their cars, society is too lazy, and everything has to be instant.
It's for this reason I think hybrids will become the norm, people will still be able to jump in their car without thinking about it, safe in the knowledge that their engine is charging their electric motor.

A hybrid petrol engine( as good as they are ) is no more fuel efficient then an equivalent capacity diesel engine .

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds interesting. May i ask how easy was it to import from Japan, did you use a broker?
Was it expensive?
I was looking at this for me but not sure! http://motorhomedepot.com/M-9342-Dodge-Ram-350-AB3L13

Would be great to see some pictures! I have been thinking about either buying a already completed camper or building one myself.

My attempt at a thread didn't go to well. Scroll to bottom of this link for pics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362023436288

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
A hybrid petrol engine( as good as they are ) is no more fuel efficient then an equivalent capacity diesel engine .

I completely agree, but it's not fuel efficiency the government are trying to reduce it's the emissions, a hybrid engine will run on electric round the town, which is where the area of concern is.
However I confidently predict by 2040 there will ways of reducing the emissions in a Diesel engine, already there are plans for an electric catalytic converter that almost completely takes out the harmful stuff.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I completely agree, but it's not fuel efficiency the government are trying to reduce it's the emissions, a hybrid engine will run on electric round the town, which is where the area of concern is.
However I confidently predict by 2040 there will ways of reducing the emissions in a Diesel engine, already there are plans for an electric catalytic converter that almost completely takes out the harmful stuff.

Mine will only run on 100% electric for short distances in town , perhaps 50% of the time however the ability to run heating and or aircon while stationary without stop start is a big plus .

Recommended listening to this chap for entertaining no holds car advice .

[yt]k6GeHnMwl1c[/YT]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here