Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Ings: Season long loan from Liverpool?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Liverpool appeared very organised ahead of the official date.

Yup, lets go out and splurge 75 mil on a fairly good, but certainly not outstanding player, cos some of our support think that's what you have to do when you're Premier League

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Club announced signing of Pascal Gross on 19th May. Window opened on 10th June. If you want another example then there's also that young Scandinavian striker that the club announced the signing of back in September and who joins next month.

Oh **** off smarty pants and stop trying to undermine my rant with your oh so nerdy ner ner facts. I don’t give a flying **** at the moon whether some spotty Scandinavian is joining the club as the latest never to appear in the first team ‘find’ from Borgen or the Heroes of Telemark. Where’s today’s Ward, Robinson, Smith, Ritchie? And some bloody midfielders who can shoot too would be nice. Time to stop this appeasing, excuse providing virus that’s infected our club from top to bottom, changing room to stands. Let’s give it a bloody go until we’re at least lying bloodied and drunken upon the floor under the enemies blows. Sound the charge Buglar, we’re going to ATTACK!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
6 year contract, international player, young ball playing centre half only worth £25M ?!

Only? Only worth £25million. When did that figure stop meaning something? He's a centre back, not a striker. Why has Van Dijk cost more than the Premier League's best player, Kevin De Bruyne? £75million for a central defender is crazy money, I rate Virgil highly and I think he'll be a success there but even in this ridiculous market, he shouldn't have cost £75million.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only? Only worth £25million. When did that figure stop meaning something? He's a centre back, not a striker. Why has Van Dijk cost more than the Premier League's best player, Kevin De Bruyne? £75million for a central defender is crazy money, I rate Virgil highly and I think he'll be a success there but even in this ridiculous market, he shouldn't have cost £75million.

Not disagreeing, nor do I think £75m is his value but 3 times over priced ? Not sure

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People have been saying this since Adam was a lad. Every window brings more insanity, more gasps and more condemnation. It’s irrelevant though. Because the next window and the one after that and the one after that will simply bring more and more hyper inflation. Surely people get this by now? Football. The ballon that will NEVER pop! Never.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Who are the best two strikers in the Champ? Can’t we just go and buy them both for Christ’s sake. A ****ing striker. We need a ****ing striker. No other saga in football has gone on this long except for the missing cup final money. Brighton and Hove Albion are a ****ing joke and I’m sick of hearing about how we cannot sign anyone despite being richer than the vast
Majority of clubs in the world.

There. I’m flouncing off now got that off my chest. But really am sick of our stories of woe. Barber OUT!
Muzza was 2nd top scorer in the championship last season !!!

Ok he's been a bit off form recently but he's a decent striker, he just ain't getting the serivice in this league. Doubt we will get much better for under 20 million

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Ok he's been a bit off form recently but he's a decent striker, he just ain't getting the serivice in this league. Doubt we will get much better for under 20 million

Has everything except pace which is essential at this level.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Over Longer term, last season was the exception rather than rule. we’re always bloody struggling to sign someone to score goals seemingly. We have long periods of drought within seasons too.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You’re missing the point and showing a distinct lack of understanding of economics.

Prices are massively inflated at the moment. KDB would probably cost a world record fee now because of a selection of factors like his age, his ability, his contract length and the fact that Man City have more money than almost anyone so they’re in a position of strength.

Similarly, Southampton were in a position of strength. They’ve got arguably one of the worlds best CBs (definitely potentially up there), who is coming to his prime, who they had tied down to a lengthy contract and, considering the new money in the league and the transfer fees being bandied about, they were in no desperate need to sell. They set their price, which is a world record fee for a defender. And VVD is the one defender Liverpool wanted to improve their squad. They weren’t willing to go after a second or third choice. So they paid the asking price.

It really is just the current Premier League economic climate. In that current climate. £25m, rightly or wrongly, is barely a drop in the ocean to the biggest sides.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
People have been saying this since Adam was a lad. Every window brings more insanity, more gasps and more condemnation. It’s irrelevant though. Because the next window and the one after that and the one after that will simply bring more and more hyper inflation. Surely people get this by now? Football. The ballon that will NEVER pop! Never.

It’s arguable that, considering the customer bases and money being sunk into the sport, that the value of the best assets has actually been undervalued up to this point because the clubs really haven’t marketed themselves all that well. I totally agree though, I don’t see the bubble popping any time soon.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You’re missing the point and showing a distinct lack of understanding of economics.

Prices are massively inflated at the moment. KDB would probably cost a world record fee now because of a selection of factors like his age, his ability, his contract length and the fact that Man City have more money than almost anyone so they’re in a position of strength.

Similarly, Southampton were in a position of strength. They’ve got arguably one of the worlds best CBs (definitely potentially up there), who is coming to his prime, who they had tied down to a lengthy contract and, considering the new money in the league and the transfer fees being bandied about, they were in no desperate need to sell. They set their price, which is a world record fee for a defender. And VVD is the one defender Liverpool wanted to improve their squad. They weren’t willing to go after a second or third choice. So they paid the asking price.

It really is just the current Premier League economic climate. In that current climate. £25m, rightly or wrongly, is barely a drop in the ocean to the biggest sides.

I'm missing no point at all, the selling club have set the price and added 50% to the previous world record fee for a defender.

Liverpool must know there's money in the bank either from a good Champions League run and qualification again, or they'll be flogging one of their assets (Coutinho to Barcelona?!) in the summer. Naby Keita is costing them another £70m next summer, it's crazy money they can spend and know how easily they can finance these deals.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm missing no point at all, the selling club have set the price and added 50% to the previous world record fee for a defender.

Liverpool must know there's money in the bank either from a good Champions League run and qualification again, or they'll be flogging one of their assets (Coutinho to Barcelona?!) in the summer. Naby Keita is costing them another £70m next summer, it's crazy money they can spend and know how easily they can finance these deals.

Not that it makes much difference, but I was of the understanding Keita was about £20m less. But still the same logic applies - he was the one they wanted so they’ve had to pay a premium because they selling club have known he’s their number one target.

I actually think it’s quite admirable for a club like Liverpool, who want to get back to the top, to be refusing to accept anything less than their first choice targets, even if they are paying what seems like a premium. The reality is though, that the Neymar and Mbappe and Pogba fees are the benchmark now for everyone. And Southampton knew they had a top class CB at a time when there is a dearth of them. So they can afford to ask what they want. Had you ever considered that maybe defenders had been undervalued up to this point?

I must say, if I was a Liverpool fan, I’d be delighted they’d got the player they most wanted, irrespective of the fee. That it drives up prices for everyone else, us included, is neither here nor there. It just means that we can add an extra £10m to the asking price if someone comes calling for Dunk.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The only time we’ve landed a decent striker in the last three seasons and six windows is when Zamora and Murray both wanted to come back for their swan song, otherwise we are probably the worst club in the top half of the Championship and the whole Premier League in being able to sell this club to quality strikers. It will not surprise me in the least if we are talking about “complicated and difficult” again as an excuse at the end of the window that is about to open.

Edit - maybe Hemed as well, has he been here less than three seasons?

You and your hyperbole icy. Fine we didn’t sign someone in the summer - all agreed - but odd to say, we *can’t* sign decent strikers cos Murray, Zamora and Hemed don’t count (let alone Baldock) . As for selling the club in the summer, at least 2 £10m+ strikers agreed terms.

So we’ve landed 3 decent strikers in the last few seasons. Scored 150+ goals in 2 record breaking champ seasons yet somehow we’re the “worst” . The worst at what ?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Prices are massively inflated at the moment.

But are they though? We've been saying this for years. Do you see Sky and BBC offering less for the next contract ???

These fees and valuations are now normal and the way it is. Completely ridiculous IMO but that's by the by.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You and your hyperbole icy. Fine we didn’t sign someone in the summer - all agreed - but odd to say, we *can’t* sign decent strikers cos Murray, Zamora and Hemed don’t count (let alone Baldock) . As for selling the club in the summer, at least 2 £10m+ strikers agreed terms.

So we’ve landed 3 decent strikers in the last few seasons. Scored 150+ goals in 2 record breaking champ seasons yet somehow we’re the “worst” . The worst at what ?[/QUOTE

Was I not clear in what I thought we were the worst at? Who has less quality strikers than us in this division then?

So you think we have the quality upfront that we need and we have been successful in signing the right type of striker over the last couple of seasons? Murray and Zamaora came back because they had played for us before. Other than that we have failed miserably over the last couple of seasons to attract the type of player we need. We had enough for the Championship (fortunately, Baldock aside, we avoided long term injuries to the other two strikers) but we haven’t got enough to stay in the Premier League, just imo. The other strugglers found the could get striker signings in the summer, even Swansea managed to tempt a player away from us. Luckily we have a good manager and defence, otherwise we’d be in deep shit already.

I always enjoy a Chaileyjem putdown around “window” time, I do accept the hyperbole comment though :wink:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here