Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Ings: Season long loan from Liverpool?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who are the best two strikers in the Champ? Can’t we just go and buy them both for Christ’s sake. A ****ing striker. We need a ****ing striker. No other saga in football has gone on this long except for the missing cup final money. Brighton and Hove Albion are a ****ing joke and I’m sick of hearing about how we cannot sign anyone despite being richer than the vast
Majority of clubs in the world.

There. I’m flouncing off now got that off my chest. But really am sick of our stories of woe. Barber OUT!
U ok hun?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
But are they though? We've been saying this for years. Do you see Sky and BBC offering less for the next contract ???

These fees and valuations are now normal and the way it is. Completely ridiculous IMO but that's by the by.

Isn’t there a rumour going around of a joint deal where they share the rights? That would certainly hit clubs...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ulloa is 100% not what we are looking for imo. We’d have three strikers all in the same mould. We need genuine pace and physical presence to get on the end of the crosses when our wingers get the chance to attack rather than defend. Ulloa would be another one lumbering up from defending and probably only on the half way line by the time the wingers were ready to put a ball in. Exactly like Murray and Hemed.

This.

Pace is needed, as well as, obviously, finishing ability.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Maybe we are just unlucky on the striker front as we haven’t struggled so much in any other position but we constantly fail to attract a young striker with size and pace. Other clubs of our size have managed it though, is that not frustrating to you too?

I'm frustrated, but I'm not frustrated with our recruitment team or management team, which is a key difference between us. I'm frustrated in Dwamena's heart which meant he failed his medical, I'm frustrated in Vincent Jansen leading us down the garden path and not signing when everything else was agreed, I'm frustrated in Deportivo not selling us Andone when fee was agreed and player wanted to come, with Cardiff City having an unbelievable start to the season and not listening to offers on Zohore, and so on and so forth.

But I think the recruitment team do it spot on by targeting the right player and not going for second best. We could have thrown more money at Abraham and signed him, but he wasn't the right player to lead the line in our first prem season as I think he is proving at Swansea. We could have snapped up a striker early doors like Huddersfield did with Mounie, but bar terrible defending by Palace and Brighton alike, he's been pretty rubbish. Newcastle got Joselu, Burnley didn't even go for the striker with pace option, getting another big guy in Wood, Palace have eschewed the pace option too, going for size and no end product with Benteke. West Brom splashed out on Chadli as club-record signing and he has barely played. West ham have gone for one guy with size and one with pace, but with two guys up front they've left holes at the back

Then there is the main point that splashing out on a striker means less funds to play with elsewhere. Bournemouth have got tons of strikers and find themselves in the relegation zone. Teams need to be built and I think we're doing a good job, striker is the last piece to be filled this year, and then next we'll work on midfield and defence some more, and hopefully we keep on rising :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I'm not sure the midfield we have now is good enough either, certainly the central pair. Not a single goal from either Stephens or Propper all season? I know that scoring isn't their main job, but some contribution isn't too much to ask, surely?

They seem to have their hands full defending. Gross is a midfielder and he's doing alright.

anyway, good enough for what? challenging the top 6?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm frustrated, but I'm not frustrated with our recruitment team or management team, which is a key difference between us. I'm frustrated in Dwamena's heart which meant he failed his medical, I'm frustrated in Vincent Jansen leading us down the garden path and not signing when everything else was agreed, I'm frustrated in Deportivo not selling us Andone when fee was agreed and player wanted to come, with Cardiff City having an unbelievable start to the season and not listening to offers on Zohore, and so on and so forth.

But I think the recruitment team do it spot on by targeting the right player and not going for second best. We could have thrown more money at Abraham and signed him, but he wasn't the right player to lead the line in our first prem season as I think he is proving at Swansea. We could have snapped up a striker early doors like Huddersfield did with Mounie, but bar terrible defending by Palace and Brighton alike, he's been pretty rubbish. Newcastle got Joselu, Burnley didn't even go for the striker with pace option, getting another big guy in Wood, Palace have eschewed the pace option too, going for size and no end product with Benteke. West Brom splashed out on Chadli as club-record signing and he has barely played. West ham have gone for one guy with size and one with pace, but with two guys up front they've left holes at the back

Then there is the main point that splashing out on a striker means less funds to play with elsewhere. Bournemouth have got tons of strikers and find themselves in the relegation zone. Teams need to be built and I think we're doing a good job, striker is the last piece to be filled this year, and then next we'll work on midfield and defence some more, and hopefully we keep on rising :thumbsup:

All good, but you miss the most obvious point... this striker gap in our squad has been obvious for about 2 seasons, so we have had plenty of chances to plug it, and have FAILED to do so. All fine words from you, but we cannot afford to FAIL to land a quality striker again, or we will run a significantly higher risk of relegation from the Prem, and a HUGE negative financial impact...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
All good, but you miss the most obvious point... this striker gap in our squad has been obvious for about 2 seasons, so we have had plenty of chances to plug it, and have FAILED to do so. All fine words from you, but we cannot afford to FAIL to land a quality striker again, or we will run a significantly higher risk of relegation from the Prem, and a HUGE negative financial impact...

No, you missed my point. We have chosen to spend our resources elsewhere and compete without a top class striker. Its worked just fine for us I think we can agree

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
All good, but you miss the most obvious point... this striker gap in our squad has been obvious for about 2 seasons, so we have had plenty of chances to plug it, and have FAILED to do so.

We signed Murray last season and got promoted out of the championship.

We did perfectly fine with signing a striker then. We achieved our goal at the time. Its fair to say we failed in the summer to get a striker in....but not for the last 2 years. Completely differently level.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We signed Murray last season and got promoted out of the championship.

We did perfectly fine with signing a striker then. We achieved our goal at the time. Its fair to say we failed in the summer to get a striker in....but not for the last 2 years. Completely differently level.

Yet despite not signing a striker we are 12th in the PL come NYE. Offered that at the start of the season and I would have bitten your hand off. We're currently one place ABOVE our highest ever league finish.. let that sink in. You wouldn't know it to read the forums though, Hughton is 'negative' and 'we're missing a striker'.

Relax and enjoy it I say, these are very good days,

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Yet despite not signing a striker we are 12th in the PL come NYE.

And just 4 points above relegation zone with one win in last 10, and one goal from open play in last 9. If these are good stats to stay relaxed with, you go for it. It can all change, of course, but right at the moment CH has us set up to draw the next 17 games 0-0, which sort of suggests he doesn't think we have the players to win games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And just 4 points above relegation zone with one win in last 10, and one goal from open play in last 9. If these are good stats to stay relaxed with, you go for it. It can all change, of course, but right at the moment CH has us set up to draw the next 17 games 0-0, which sort of suggests he doesn't think we have the players to win games.

That is kind of rubbish though, CH has us set up to win games, we could have / should have scored more – not CH's fault we are profligate in front of goal, against Watford we were comfortable and should have got more. We all knew scoring goals was going to be tough when we didn't sign a striker, personally I still think we are over achieving with the squad we have.

Joking aside, 3 wins and 8 or 9 draws with 6 or 7 defeats and we will stay up. A team below us didn't gain today and we gain a point. This season has always been about staying up, if CH achieves that with 17 draws to the end of the season, I'll take that with open arms.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Hughton is working with the squad he's got. I think he'd be the first admit we're missing a striker.

He got us promoted last season, and has guided us to mid-table at the halfway point. If you were expecting more than that then you have unrealistic expectations.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here