Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daniel Levy: Spurs chairman says Premier League transfer spending unsustainable

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought he made a few good comments, but agree it was lost in the self indulgence.

Think Spurs problem is they are not perceived as a big club anymore and probably not really since the 60s. A bit like West Ham, always tried to play entertaining football, yes even under George Graham, they have always been a decent cup side, but a big team? That's possibly why they are struggling to sell the grounds naming rights for the sort of money they want - not a worldwide name. I mean one of their old players / managers Ossie couldn't even say their name!

Make no mistake, Spurs are a big club. They'll have no trouble selling out their new stadium and could do the same at Wembley with a fair wind. The new WHL will also be hosting at least 2 NFL matches in a 10-year deal so the appeal for naming rights will be broad. They're regularly qualifying for Champions League and have run Leicester and Chelsea closest to the title for the past 2 seasons.

That said, Wembley and modest wages could be their undoing this season. They missed the boat when the Premier League was created because Alan Sugar wouldn't spend the sort of cash Man Utd, Leeds, Chelsea, Newcastle and Blackburn were spending, and Levy has to be careful that Spurs are not bypassed in this regard again.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Chairman Daniel Levy has defended Tottenham's lack of transfer activity this summer and claimed the spending by other Premier League clubs is unsustainable.

More than £850m has been spent by top-flight sides in the transfer window, which ends on 31 August.

But Tottenham, who sold Kyle Walker to Manchester City for £45m this month, have not made any signings.

"We have a duty to manage the club appropriately," said Levy.

"Some of the activity that is going on at the moment is just impossible for it to be sustainable.

"Somebody spending £200m more than they're earning, eventually it catches up with you. And you can't keep doing it."

Jeremy Corbyn would beg to differ.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Shirt sale profits are a myth though. The manufacturers make the profits, and the club gets a small commission (part of which goes to the player for image rights).

Clubs make their money from shirts from the general licencing deal, which is regardless of individual players.

Ah, I completely ignored that aspect! Do you have any good reads on finance in football?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
SSN just reported on TV that Palace are in talks with Arsenal, for the transfer of Calum Chambers for a fee in the region of £20m.

Arsenal fans have deemed him a flop from start to finish, and the normally loyal hoarder Wenger is making no noise about keeping him.

If a small PL club are about to blow £20m on a failed defender, the market has got out of control.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Make no mistake, Spurs are a big club. They'll have no trouble selling out their new stadium and could do the same at Wembley with a fair wind. The new WHL will also be hosting at least 2 NFL matches in a 10-year deal so the appeal for naming rights will be broad. They're regularly qualifying for Champions League and have run Leicester and Chelsea closest to the title for the past 2 seasons.

That said, Wembley and modest wages could be their undoing this season. They missed the boat when the Premier League was created because Alan Sugar wouldn't spend the sort of cash Man Utd, Leeds, Chelsea, Newcastle and Blackburn were spending, and Levy has to be careful that Spurs are not bypassed in this regard again.

I think you missed my use of the word perceived!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I thought he made a few good comments, but agree it was lost in the self indulgence.

Think Spurs problem is they are not perceived as a big club anymore and probably not really since the 60s. A bit like West Ham, always tried to play entertaining football, yes even under George Graham, they have always been a decent cup side, but a big team? That's possibly why they are struggling to sell the grounds naming rights for the sort of money they want - not a worldwide name. I mean one of their old players / managers Ossie couldn't even say their name!
Not sure where you're coming from but spurs and west ham have and will always be big big clubs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think you missed my use of the word perceived!

I think they are perceived as a big club, they always finish in the top 6 and when they move into their new stadium they'll have the highest attendance in England bar Man Utd.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If the player is high profile it can help in terms of negotiating commercial deals with sponsors (they like to be photographed with world known players such as Messi, Ibrahamovic, Aguerro, Chris O'Grady, Ronaldo, Beckham etc.).

It's also useful when arranging pre-season tours, as the club can charge more money for overseas matches if they have household names in the team.

For most fans, if they are going to buy a shirt, they buy it, and the name on the back is not the main driver of their decision to make a purchase.

So no, not really unless they are a world class name then really? Or a very well known name at the least.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As a neutral I'd love to see Spurs win the league (losing twice to us if course), can't help but like them and really enjoy watching Dele and Kane. Would also be lols to see them beat the teams splashing millions to the top.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Premier League average weekly wage, you can see the problem that Levy has, even if Spurs pay the transfer fee, they are a long way behind the other elite.

Premier League Ave Weekly Wage 2015-16.JPG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That just puts even sharper focus on what a bloody miracle it was for Leicester to go and win the thing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm not surprised at Watford being in the lower half of that list, given the amount of loan signings they get from the Pozzo feeder clubs!

It does show that plucky little Bournemouth did well to survive given their wages are over 10% below that of the next club.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This coming from the bloke who sold Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for at the time a world record fee and has just off loaded Kyle Walker for a British record (I think) fee for a defender.

Bit hypocritical moaning about it when he is part of the problem.

Agree with this 100% he was not moaning when he was pocketing the Bale money

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here