Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daniel Levy: Spurs chairman says Premier League transfer spending unsustainable

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Oh agreed but it was strange to see the advert.

They have a LOT of Corporate seats to try & shift at Wembley. Personally i think it is all a bit 'West Ham' but as they are most likely to appeal to tourists & day trippers, the tube is probably the best place to advertise them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Good point. Although i think our fan base is probably still better than Chelsea or City who i think would have struggled to sell 85k tickets for a Europa league game like we did last season. I don't actually know where Chelsea fans live/hide/work. I work for a very large UK firm & have done for almost 20 years & in that time among the myriad of Spurs, Woolwich, West Ham & assorted other teams, i have had ONE Chelsea supporting colleague. Where are they (apart from the Wetherspoons in Eastbourne) ?

Man U, Liverpool & Woolwich are the three biggest clubs in England by any measure.

I'l tell you where the majority of Chelsea fans are....in the suburban sprawl that comes out of SW London. Staines, Chertsey, Weybridge, Woking, Guildford, Camberley, Aldershot etc. Lots in the New Towns ( Bracknell / Crawley etc ) This is their heartland. Characterised by 40 somethings, self-employed, overweight and driving a big 4x4. They usually have ' a contact ' somewhere.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Good point. Although i think our fan base is probably still better than Chelsea or City who i think would have struggled to sell 85k tickets for a Europa league game like we did last season. I don't actually know where Chelsea fans live/hide/work. I work for a very large UK firm & have done for almost 20 years & in that time among the myriad of Spurs, Woolwich, West Ham & assorted other teams, i have had ONE Chelsea supporting colleague. Where are they (apart from the Wetherspoons in Eastbourne) ?

Man U, Liverpool & Woolwich are the three biggest clubs in England by any measure.

Worthing is full of the c*nts. The even have flags flying in their gardens.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This coming from the bloke who sold Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for at the time a world record fee and has just off loaded Kyle Walker for a British record (I think) fee for a defender.

Bit hypocritical moaning about it when he is part of the problem.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Liverpool are picking up less popular support amongst the younger generations, who gravitate towards sucess. 27 years without a league title is starting to erode their position. I agree they have big global support but I wonder if the titleless run continues, will they continue to be top 3?

N17

Jun 21, 2011
I'l tell you where the majority of Chelsea fans are....in the suburban sprawl that comes out of SW London. Staines, Chertsey, Weybridge, Woking, Guildford, Camberley, Aldershot etc. Lots in the New Towns ( Bracknell / Crawley etc ) This is their heartland. Characterised by 40 somethings, self-employed, overweight and driving a big 4x4. They usually have ' a contact ' somewhere.

True. Any time i have a local builder around to quote & the chat turns to football, they always support Liverpool/Man U or Chelsea.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
This coming from the bloke who sold Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for at the time a world record fee and has just off loaded Kyle Walker for a British record (I think) fee for a defender.

Bit hypocritical moaning about it when he is part of the problem.

I don't get that argument. Are we supposed to sell Walker on the cheap as a protest against Man U/City/Chelsea's ridiculous spending? If i think my house is over priced should i sell it below market value?

How can he be part of the problem when we are the lowest nest spenders in the league over many seasons & have more academy players in the squad that almost any other Premier League side.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

:thumbsup:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I don't get that argument. Are we supposed to sell Walker on the cheap as a protest against Man U/City/Chelsea's ridiculous spending? If i think my house is over priced should i sell it below market value?

Not suggesting that for a second. You should try and sell your assets for as much as you can get for them. But don't then come out when it comes to buying new assets moaning about how much they cost which is effectively what he is doing. The price tag on a player is determined by the market and the market is determined by who has the money to spend.

How can he be part of the problem when we are the lowest nest spenders in the league over many seasons & have more academy players in the squad that almost any other Premier League side.

For the reason I've stated above. You can't go round demanding the highest price going then moan when other clubs do it to you or price you out of the game as is the case here. If Tottenham want to compete at the top level then they've got to pay the money to stay at that level because if they don't someone else will.

Using your analogy above should clubs sell you their players below the market value because you've been the "lowest nest spenders in the league over many seasons & have more academy players in the squad that almost any other Premier League side."??

People have been saying the game will eat itself eventually for years. I can't see it happening any time soon.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Not suggesting that for a second. You should try and sell your assets for as much as you can get for them. But don't then come out when it comes to buying new assets moaning about how much they cost which is effectively what he is doing. The price tag on a player is determined by the market and the market is determined by who has the money to spend.

For the reason I've stated above. You can't go round demanding the highest price going then moan when other clubs do it to you or price you out of the game as is the case here. If Tottenham want to compete at the top level then they've got to pay the money to stay at that level because if they don't someone else will.

Using your analogy above should clubs sell you their players below the market value because you've been the "lowest nest spenders in the league over many seasons & have more academy players in the squad that almost any other Premier League side."??

People have been saying the game will eat itself eventually for years. I can't see it happening any time soon.

Well that is a chicken & egg situation. If players were cheaper Levy wouldn't have to play hardball quite so much when selling ours. The thing is we can afford the fees but not the wages. WHU signed Hernandez for £16m & paying him £140k per week for 4 years - £29mn so a gross £45mn.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Daniel Levy may not want to compete with other clubs at the elite level in terms of transfer fees and wages, which is his perogative. Luckily for one person at Spurs, the club is willing to compete when it comes to the highest paid directors in the Premier League.

I wonder who the lucky recipient might be?

View attachment 87583

Aston Villa ?

Jesus.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do agree we need players.

But I do find it odd that all summer we have been told the English Youth players need to be given a chance, Spurs have basically said they would be doing that and are slated for not bringing anyone in.

Currently our second choice RB is the RB from the U20 World cup winning side, plus Winks/Onamah and Edwards will be given game time this season.

N17

Jun 21, 2011

But I do find it odd that all summer we have been told the English Youth players need to be given a chance, Spurs have basically said they would be doing that and are slated for not bringing anyone in.

Currently our second choice RB is the RB from the U20 World cup winning side, plus Winks/Onamah and Edwards will be given game time this season.

Georgiou looked good last night. Will Miller/Luke Amos are also good prospects & Poch said Keziah Sterling will train with the first team this season.

Shayon Harrison scoring plenty for the U23s as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Winks is quality. Edwards too.

I'm very much #TeamPoch on this, and hope they do well (with 2 obvious exceptions)

Any Spurs fans whining about 'not signing big names' are doing EXACTLY what they've laughed at Arsenal fans for over the last few years. Bit embarrassing really.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well that is a chicken & egg situation. If players were cheaper Levy wouldn't have to play hardball quite so much when selling ours. The thing is we can afford the fees but not the wages. WHU signed Hernandez for £16m & paying him £140k per week for 4 years - £29mn so a gross £45mn.

I did a valuation of all the clubs in the EPL using a model, and Spurs came out of it very well considering they haven't had the same level of Champions League experience or trophies as other clubs, mainly, IMO, to Levy's ability to deliver bottom line.

PL Club Value 2.PNG

Big 6 Values Graph All Methods.JPG

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Georgiou looked good last night. Will Miller/Luke Amos are also good prospects & Poch said Keziah Sterling will train with the first team this season.

Shayon Harrison scoring plenty for the U23s as well.

Harrison needs another Loan, Miller did OK at Burton last year as well.

Winks is quality. Edwards too.

I'm very much #TeamPoch on this, and hope they do well (with 2 obvious exceptions)

Any Spurs fans whining about 'not signing big names' are doing EXACTLY what they've laughed at Arsenal fans for over the last few years. Bit embarrassing really.

Idiots are every club that want them to spend way above the means, I would be happy with Barkley and someone with Pace.... Which is when we will miss Walker most.

The Stadium is the future, I don't think we will have a great season - but it is about the bigger picture.

Winks is wanted by Spain, so must be doing something right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here