Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prague

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The football level is a lot lower here. I used to live in Husinecka, which is directly opposite the ground (Zizkov Viktoria). 50 yards at most. I made it to about 3 games in the whole season last year. The Sunday 10:00 am kickoff is just too hard hard for me to do after a Saturday night in Prague haha.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thinking of a long weekend in Prague October/November - is it still value for money?
Yeah pretty cheap although we were doing rounds of 8, some great little bars / restaurants hidden away

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The no smoking ban has arrived, so a lot of the local bars are now pretty empty, especially as its sunny and beer gardens offer an option. Zizkov, large beer (0.5l) is around 30kc. Food in places outside the center are still very good value. A Czech friend of mine told me years ago that all the chefs in Prague train at the same place, so all pretty much the same. Some French relatives recently stayed, and burst out laughing everytime they got a bill in a restaurant, so its still good value.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The no smoking ban has arrived, so a lot of the local bars are now pretty empty, especially as its sunny and beer gardens offer an option. Zizkov, large beer (0.5l) is around 30kc. Food in places outside the center are still very good value. A Czech friend of mine told me years ago that all the chefs in Prague train at the same place, so all pretty much the same. Some French relatives recently stayed, and burst out laughing everytime they got a bill in a restaurant, so its still good value.

Thanks Dave sounds good. Do they have an Oktoberfest there?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

No. No Oktoberfest, just feels like it most of the time. Couple of places I go to still allow smoking, but im pretty sure they have some sort of police protection.

Couple of things going on...

SIGNAL Light Festival
Date: 12 October 2017 - 15 October 2017
The SIGNAL Festival is an open-air celebration of light. Some of Prague's famous buildings are bathed in an array of colours, as the best in modern technology is employed to illuminate the buildings using fixed lighting or video projections. To enjoy the shows simply stroll around the Old Town and by the river at night-time.
Where: Around the Old Town Square and Vltava River.

Independent Czechoslovak State Day - Public Holiday
Date: 28 October 2017
Public holiday. Commemorates the creation of Czechoslovakia in 1918.
Prague sightseeing and entertainment operate as normal. Shops have limited opening times.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Wear a vest

Hi Dave went earlier this year and have to share this. We were a group of 6 husbands and wives and had booked a boat trip. Whilst walking along the riverside towards our boat my two mates just in front suddenly got a lovely surprise. Some young girl with two photographers in front and behind her stripped naked walked through them and me and just carried on as if it was nothing. Is this a regular thing ??

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Hi Dave went earlier this year and have to share this. We were a group of 6 husbands and wives and had booked a boat trip. Whilst walking along the riverside towards our boat my two mates just in front suddenly got a lovely surprise. Some young girl with two photographers in front and behind her stripped naked walked through them and me and just carried on as if it was nothing. Is this a regular thing ??

Its not something ive noticed tbh
There was a painted naked girl wandering about the Cannafest venue but ive not seen any in the streets. It wouldnt surprise me though :lol:

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The district around the Old Town Square & Charles Bridge has turned into a somewhat tacky tourist trap over the years. Gets very crowded too. Far nicer and interesting places to see, eat & drink away from this area. Good advice previously.

Scams to wary of in Prague:

DO NOT step into a local taxi. The chances of getting ripped off with a creatively adjusted meter are good. There was a case a while back of a cabbie who was using the stopwatch on his mobile as a meter in the cab, then adding on a 500 crown 'city charge'! The City Burgermeister appears to show little interest in dealing with this problem. Underground, trams and buses are efficient and cheap. Always use them. Or use recommended companies from the tourist office or hotel if you must use a cab.

Never use money changing booths or offices in the centre of Prague. There's a fair few bandits who have the exchange rate or T & C's in very tiny lettering. You will get turned over. Always withdraw from a cashpoint at a bank for the best rate. Unless you wish to end up with Albanian Lek or similar, NEVER exchange money if approached on the street from a guy offering 'the best rate in Prague'. Common sense for most.

The Old Prague Ham stalls around the centre: They often sell by the weight. They will pile it on to the maximum if you don't specify. Its not unknown for unwary tourists who don't think quick on their feet when converting pound to crown to get screwed the equivalent of £15 for something that resembles a Subway product. Eating & drinking away from the centre is the smart option.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I rarely go into the center. Had to meet somebody in the Irish bar on the Old Town Square last night. Local Staropramen that is 35kc in the bars in my area was a stunning 95kc. The Irish barman even apologised. As said before, do your eating and serious drinking 4 or 5 stops away from center, where you will actually meet locals (who wouldnt dream of paying 95kc for a beer!) rather than other tourists, and food is often half the price.
Ive been here 11 years, and still wouldnt get in a cab without a native Czech speaker with me to do the talking. Public transport is very good anyway, with all night buses and trams.
If they removed 2/3rds of the tat souvenir shops in the center, there would still be too many, and as per previous poster, use bank atms, not exchange booths.
He is right concerning the prague ham...which is just fecking ham. I overheard an American woman being charged 600kc, which is 21 quid so stopped her.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here