Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paying full price for a child ticket.

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
I doubt this is allowed but I'll ask you fine people anyway.
I always go to away games with my 10 year old daughter however on the odd occasion that she cannot go, would it be permitted to pay an adult full price on her fan number and take my father for example, who is on my friends and family but would not necessarily have the required loyalty points to use his own fan number?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I always go to away games with my 10 year old daughter however on the odd occasion that she cannot go, would it be permitted to pay an adult full price on her fan number and take my father for example, who is on my friends and family but would not necessarily have the required loyalty points to use his own fan number?

I think the on-line system has been changed, for Leicester away I had to buy my eldest and U21 ticket as he is U21 whereas for Watford away I had a choice of Adult or Student

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This loophole used to be possible.

The ticketing system itself may well allow it (I can't recall now) but it it does, the club will detect it and get in touch with you.

What may be possible would be to buy a child ticket, travel to the game and then go to the host club's ticket office and ask to upgrade it there. Bit of a risk of travelling and then being denied though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Nope, and I doubt that the software would allow you to buy a ticket for the wrong age group for the fan number anyway.

Having said that, I managed to buy myself a senior ticket for Leicester :shrug: I only realised when I got the confirmation email. I phoned the club to rectify it and they charged me £5.50. "What's the extra 50p for?", I asked. "Well, the booking fee for a telephone booking is £1.50; you've only paid £1 so far cos you booked online". No, I'm not joking.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
And as we all know now, at away games you will need to present your photo ID, provide a blood and DNA sample for testing against the club database, credit rating, references from two employers and provide the correct response to the secret phrase that will be emailed to the ticket purchaser 1hr before kick off, to ensure that no one is passing on tickets to other supporters.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's a big fat no. Yep, that loophole has rather annoyingly been closed.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Just means people will try to get away with lower priced tickets or away ticket offices will have fun upgrading a load of tickets each game.

#together

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
I can understand the problem with people passing tickets on to the undeserving or maybe into the hands of a hookigan but there are many genuine reasons why someone may not be able to go and another family member could go instead. Not sure I'd bother making the trip if I was on my own. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a sensible answer to all this.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Surely the sensible answer is that the person (the child) with enough points can't or doesn't want to go. The person who does want to go hasn't got enough points so has to wait until their category is on sale.
Harsh I know but my partner has less points than me so if we want to go together i have to wait until her category goes on sale so that we can buy two together..

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Nope, and I doubt that the software would allow you to buy a ticket for the wrong age group for the fan number anyway.

Having said that, I managed to buy myself a senior ticket for Leicester :shrug: I only realised when I got the confirmation email. I phoned the club to rectify it and they charged me £5.50. "What's the extra 50p for?", I asked. "Well, the booking fee for a telephone booking is £1.50; you've only paid £1 so far cos you booked online". No, I'm not joking.

Tills have to tally

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why should you pay less than me in regards to booking fee?

I think you misunderstand the point. The only reason I phoned the club at all is because the ticketing sw allowed me to buy a ticket at a price I wasn't entitled to. The person said that it was a sw fault, but still wanted the extra 50p. I couldn't be bothered to say "that means that you're charging me extra because your sw is faulty"...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely the sensible answer is that the person (the child) with enough points can't or doesn't want to go. The person who does want to go hasn't got enough points so has to wait until their category is on sale.
Harsh I know but my partner has less points than me so if we want to go together i have to wait until her category goes on sale so that we can buy two together..

Well, quite.

The OP didn't really MEAN "Paying full price for a child's ticket - is this allowed?"

He actually meant "Can I buy tickets for my mate / Dad using my child's higher loyalty points, to jump the queue?"

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I think you misunderstand the point. The only reason I phoned the club at all is because the ticketing sw allowed me to buy a ticket at a price I wasn't entitled to. The person said that it was a sw fault, but still wanted the extra 50p. I couldn't be bothered to say "that means that you're charging me extra because your sw is faulty"...

Apologies yes I did miss the point. Reading through again they were wrong to in my opinion. They probably thought you had just filed in the wrong box

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
Well, quite.

The OP didn't really MEAN "Paying full price for a child's ticket - is this allowed?"

He actually meant "Can I buy tickets for my mate / Dad using my child's higher loyalty points, to jump the queue?"

Well I can't argue with that. It's certainly another way of looking at it.
Ok, so here's a different spin on it. Let's assume that a few days before the game, my daughter is ill and I want to take the old man instead. Do you think the club would upgrade the ticket then?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well I can't argue with that. It's certainly another way of looking at it.
Ok, so here's a different spin on it. Let's assume that a few days before the game, my daughter is ill and I want to take the old man instead. Do you think the club would upgrade the ticket then?

I doubt it. The club have made it clear that they know that some fans have abused every weakness in their system in an attempt to get in cheaper/buy tickets they're not entitled to. Examples that they have specifically cited include adults entering the AMEX on a child ST and people buying away tickets for mates that wouldn't otherwise qualify. They have said that the former example amounts to fraud, and the latter is unfair on the fan who can't now go even though they're entitled to.

However, there are numerous examples of the club going way above and beyond what they have to, with us becoming aware of their generosity only because the affected individual posts their experience on NSC. They seem to be trying to say "Come on people, stop trying to play the system. We're doing our bit; please do yours".

In the example you cite, I think it's much more likely that they'd offer a refund, and then sell the ticket to a qualifying fan. If the child fell ill on the morning of the game, I suspect they'd smell a rat, and fall back on "I'm sorry, the ticket is non-refundable and non-transferable" (which it is).

It seems harsh, but they've said many times that some fans aren't playing the game, and they're not having it any more.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm afraid that the sneaky fans have ruined it for all.

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
I doubt it. The club have made it clear that they know that some fans have abused every weakness in their system in an attempt to get in cheaper/buy tickets they're not entitled to. Examples that they have specifically cited include adults entering the AMEX on a child ST and people buying away tickets for mates that wouldn't otherwise qualify. They have said that the former example amounts to fraud, and the latter is unfair on the fan who can't now go even though they're entitled to.

However, there are numerous examples of the club going way above and beyond what they have to, with us becoming aware of their generosity only because the affected individual posts their experience on NSC. They seem to be trying to say "Come on people, stop trying to play the system. We're doing our bit; please do yours".

In the example you cite, I think it's much more likely that they'd offer a refund, and then sell the ticket to a qualifying fan. If the child fell ill on the morning of the game, I suspect they'd smell a rat, and fall back on "I'm sorry, the ticket is non-refundable and non-transferable" (which it is).

It seems harsh, but they've said many times that some fans aren't playing the game, and they're not having it any more.

I accept that. I go with my daughter 99% of the time anyway. There will always be genuinely good reasons to transfer a ticket but like the chap above says, those people have ruined it for everyone.
The transfer of tickets between fans is always going to be a very difficult thing to police. One of my good friends is a season ticket holder at Spurs and he says it happens on a grand scale.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here