Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just what exactly are you expecting this coming season

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just flicking through the Hernandez thread and something that keeps reappearing on various threads, what exactly are you expecting from the season coming.

Are you expecting the albion to stick to a wages structure that prices us out of the " top" players?
Are you expecting us to sign players to develop through the academy into potential first teamers some time in the future?
Are you expecting us to sign more foreign players?
Would you be happy for us to sign unproven players who have never played in the premier?
If a proven premier player came up for sale, what would be and acceptable amount of money to spend on a fee?
Should we go down the Leeds United route and spend to keep us in the top flight, or try and follow the reading model of hoping that your players that took you up will keep you there?
Would you be happy if the extra windfall from the premier league was used in part to repay Mr Bloom's fantastic investment in the club?

I read a very interesting comment on HTFC forum where these questions were sensibly debated without relating to JCL comments etc, and there is definitely a split between those who believe as they are there, they should spend more to keep them there and those who believe it may be a one off and not to bankrupt the club just to try and compete with clubs that are a million miles away from them. The Middlesbrough case has been quoted a few times in that they had a few expensive foreign signings who just didn't hack it or lost interest and just took the money hoping they would get transferred to the top 8 teams!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I expect us to get battered at least 8 times get a few draws and a few wins,with the current squad

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
On the pitch, more struggle than success however much we strengthen the squad. We will get battered a few times without doubt, but that will be offset with a win or two against one of the big boys. At my most optimistic, survival, just.

Off the pitch. The club will continue to develop and improve its infrastructure so that it will be able to either compete more strongly in a second season in the PL or have an outstanding chance of bouncing straight back up if we go down. This will all be done in a sensible way financially. TB and PB are too canny for it to happen any other way.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Quite a few batterings on the pitch and some fans being embarrassed by some of the performances.

Duffy has a fight with a team mate at some stage during the season and stories leak about unharmonious happenings behind closed doors.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I expect us to be fighting for survival. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we spent too much time out of the bottom six to be honest. That said I think we can stay up, we will need to add to the squad though. Obviously a striker and more cover at full back is still required, the squad whilst ok at the moment is still thin when it comes to depth.

As for spending, if there is a player that the recruitment team and management think is worth a big spash then I say go for it, but only if the player is to come in and compete for a starting spot off the bat. I am not neccessarily fussed about whether I have heard of the player or not, I am more concerned about the due diligence done by the club on their targets. As sad as it was to turn down the Neto deal it was reassuring that we did not take what we considered to be an unneccessary risk with a potentially expensive sick note.

I'd like to think I am realistic about this season, we will not spend recklessly (but we will go £10m+ for a striker), City have shown that £100m doesn't really get you much these days. All I want to see the team doing their best, I think that will be good enough to finish at least four off the bottom.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Expect nothing, but teams have survived with worse squads & worse managers. I think a few players always surprise when they make the step up, for me that will be Hemed & March

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I really have no idea, partly because we haven't had the chance to see the present team up against an existing Premier League club in a cup tie or even a pre-season friendly. Most people think that some of our players, Dunk for instance, will kick on and prove themselves at this level, but we don't know.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
On the pitch, more struggle than success however much we strengthen the squad. We will get battered a few times without doubt, but that will be offset with a win or two against one of the big boys. At my most optimistic, survival, just.

Off the pitch. The club will continue to develop and improve its infrastructure so that it will be able to either compete more strongly in a second season in the PL or have an outstanding chance of bouncing straight back up if we go down. This will all be done in a sensible way financially. TB and PB are too canny for it to happen any other way.

Great post

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I fully expect a sensible approach on the transfer and wages front. This will exclude us from competing for the 'top' players, as I don't forsee us getting anywhere near offering £50m to buy a player or offering weekly wages of £80k upwards.

If we stay in the PL league I would expect our record transfer fee to move upwards each season as we become more established, and there will be wage inflation, but all within a sensible budget. I would also expect us to continue our value for money approach on transfers. This will probably mean more overseas players being brought for the first team, and a more balanced approach to development squad players.

In a few years I would hope that several development players break into the first team squad, rather than going down to the Chelsea route and just loaning the players out.

On the pitch this season, not too many points from the top 6/8 teams particularly away from home. Against the rest we will be competitive any hopefully have enough quality to be outside of the bottom three at the end of the season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We will spend, not ludicrous sums, but Huddersfield sums (another £20m or so, on three more players). Something like that.

We'll not go batshit mental on wages, so as to keep the existing well-numerated squad 'together'. Bloom and co are playing the long game. If that involves going down this year or next, then being Newcastlesque favourites for the Championship, so be it.

Personally I think we'll finish somewhere between 16-18th - a fairly small spread of places with hugely differing outcomes!

Whatever happens this season we are spectacularly well placed to be looking forward to Premier League football in at least HALF of the next ten years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The title, a trophy, on to European football.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I expect 5 more signings, 3 of which are the ones to target the money at - Striker, CM, Support striker who can also play as winger.

Absolutely no value buying from English clubs, so I suppose 2 of the 3 at least will be from top flight overseas clubs.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I fully expect us to go straight back down, however I also expect us to strengthen in this window and in Jan so that if we do go back down, the squad we have will be good enough to come straight back up (with a few replacements next summer for those who do leave). I would also like us to keep CH to bring us back up again and keep a continuity within the club and keep it stable.

We could be at the beginning of the yoyo years or we could surprise everyone if we stay up and get stronger.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
To have loads of fun seeing how we do on the pitch with a team of players rewarded for their achievements of the last 2 years with the chance to play against the most ludicrously overpriced, ludicrously overpaid (not necessarily the best - we'll see) footballers money can buy - bolstered by a few signings who fit in with wage structure and team spirit ethic and inspired by the best manager this club has ever had. To back Hughton 100% for the whole of the season regardless of results. And on a personal note, to get as many gigs as possible sorted around the away games despite not knowing till five minutes beforehand when they are going to take place thanks to Rupert bloody Murdoch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here