Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T concrete mixing advice please

thedevonseagull

Apr 27, 2017
North Devon
A dumpy bag will usually be around 850Kg (not a ton), but one bag should suffice along with 6 bags of cement. If you chucked a handful of fibres into each mix, that should stop it from cracking.

D

Deleted member 2719

You would be better off putting a 2.4m x 2.4m x 100mm high shuttering ply timber surround around the area to be concreted.
I would get 2 x 2.4m x 1.2m steel reinforcing grids as well, make sure what you have there is compacted and then get one of those 'Concrete Taxi' type firms around with ready mix in their little mixers and pour it in whilst incorporating the reinforcing sheets about midway through the height of the mix.
Then get the driver, who is normally a skilled concrete layer to smooth over the top before he leaves.
Whist it is drying sprinkle water from a hose over it periodically to stop it cracking.
When dry knock out the timbers, voila concrete pad.
In quick time, with little mess and no waste.

I agree with all you say, but reinforcing it. Seems a bit OTT for your own garden and like i said i would not want to be digging that up a couple of years when you decide you no longer want a hot tub there perhaps you want to change it into a flower bed or lawn.

Having said that if he is thinking of selling in a few years, he may not worry about the long term 2.4 x 2.4 metre slab of solid concrete in his garden!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I agree with all you say, but reinforcing it. Seems a bit OTT for your own garden and like i said i would not want to be digging that up a couple of years when you decide you no longer want a hot tub there perhaps you want to change it into a flower bed or lawn.

Having said that if he is thinking of selling in a few years, he may not worry about the long term 2.4 x 2.4 metre slab of solid concrete in his garden!!

I thought you were going to put a hot tub on it, do some research and find out how much it weights when full of water and people,
I'd reinforce it and the steel mesh is as cheap as chips.

D

Deleted member 2719

I thought you were going to put a hot tub on it, do some research and find out how much it weights when full of water and people,
I'd reinforce it and the steel mesh is as cheap as chips.

No it's not me with a hot tub.

I am much more of a shed man, some where that you can do things in rather than sit about drinking Prosecco.

I have not seen the base of a hot tub but surely all this weight would be spread over the whole base size of the tub, therefore spreading the PSI.

However i am no structural engineer, but when i have built things i generally i go too heavy duty to regret it later!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No it's not me with a hot tub.

I am much more of a shed man, some where that you can do things in rather than sit about drinking Prosecco.

I have not seen the base of a hot tub but surely all this weight would be spread over the whole base size of the tub, therefore spreading the PSI.

However i am no structural engineer, but when i have built things i generally i go too heavy duty to regret it later!

I've built 2 x houses, carports and a couple of big sheds since being here.
I put reo in everything as it is cheap, takes little effort to incorporate and increases durability.

D

Deleted member 2719

I've built 2 x houses, carports and a couple of big sheds since being here.
I put reo in everything as it is cheap, takes little effort to incorporate and increases durability.

I totally agree in the price the effort and the strength are all positive, but my theory is hot tubs will come and go, when you do not want one anymore or can't afford to replace the broken one years down the line, will you want to dig up a bomb proof slab of concrete?

Just my thought, from a man who has only built houses in lego.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here