Votes: 53 34.6%
  • I don't rate Skalak and I didn't rate Barnes

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I rate Skalak and Barnes

Votes: 73 47.7%

• Total voters

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Skalak's delivery can be fantastic, great at chasing back and making sure their opponent's wing backs don't have free reign to bomb up and down the flanks untouched.

Barnes........I've said on here enough times over the years that I think he was poor overall (great at defending corners notwithstanding), a constant yellow card ticking time bomb, and my mind hasn't changed one iota on that score, despite the NSC 'love-in' for the man

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
I wasn't at the Crawley game but i think it was either Naylor's or the Albion's twitter feed - almost every goal we scored seemed to come from something Skalak had done. Speaks to what he can bring to the team.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Like Skalak, heart on sleeve headcase with a sweet crossing ability underused through his inability to beat a man.

No issue with him being in the squad as there will be games when he'll come in handy.

Barnes: HATED his tempestuous nature and pathetic ability to get all referees turning against him thanks to his constant whinging and moaning in their ear. Always thought he was worth a card before a ball kicked.

Liked him in a 4-4-2 alongside Leo but absolutely ruined and wasted by Gus's insistence on the 4-5-1/4-3-3 with him on the left.

Bong: Meh. Take or leave. Still not back to best (combo with KLL at beginning of season before last) and not sure if that's injury, age catching up with him or tactics.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Like Skalak, heart on sleeve headcase with a sweet crossing ability underused through his inability to beat a man.

No issue with him being in the squad as there will be games when he'll come in handy.

Barnes: HATED his tempestuous nature and pathetic ability to get all referees turning against him thanks to his constant whinging and moaning in their ear. Always thought he was worth a card before a ball kicked.

Liked him in a 4-4-2 alongside Leo but absolutely ruined and wasted by Gus's insistence on the 4-5-1/4-3-3 with him on the left.

Bong: Meh. Take or leave. Still not back to best (combo with KLL at beginning of season before last) and not sure if that's injury, age catching up with him or tactics.
Spot on BTFu... Bong always gives me the willies when defending. Great moving forward but oh no against a speedy winger going down his outside

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im a Barnes fan. i want to be a Skalak fan but i sense not enough product.

D

Deleted member 2719

Barnes fan, Skalak is a luxury player like Kaz, but he could score goals and beat players.
Barnes 1
Skalak 0

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's list a few other things Skalak is not:-

- Canada.
- A Goldfish
- Godfrey from Dad's Army
- 3 sheets of A4 paper
- Germaine Greer
- Black Forest Gateaux

Why the fook are posters so insistent on telling everybody else what Skalak's isn't.
If all footballers were the freakin same then there wouldn't be the bleeding sport in the first place.

The fella is a Brighton player, bought into the club by the current manager.
Until such time as those circumstances change just fookin well suck it up, enjoy the ride and stop foaming at the prospect of being able to boooo an Albion player.

F****** classless morons.

Last edited:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Think Skalak is ok and puts in a shift no world beater.
Liked Barnes and couldn't believe that others couldn't see it.
Don't rate Bong, the odd good game is outweighed by his poor ones. Get's wrong side of his man too often too. It's all very well being decent overlapping but you have to be able to defend as well.

This all the way. Thought I was alone!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why the fook are posters so insistent on telling everybody else what Skalak's isn't.

Don't know!

But I'll tell you something he isn't, he is not a natural winger. He is a right footed midfielder in the role of Sir David Beckham who does not have lightening pace or blurring skill but does most other things very well.

Good luck to him this season!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Skalak has a good work ethic and a tremendous delivery. He's not going to dribble past his man, but neither did Beckham. I do wish Skalak would realise that himself though, and just get the ball and ping it in the box. He needs to STOP trying to get round his man - get a yard and cross it. That's it

Spot on. One touch and bang, just like John Robertson.

ilduc944

May 1, 2014
A bit on the fence with this one but if I happen to fall off it then it'll be wit a Skalak bias. On form Skalak can put in a decent ball. On form Barnes might convert but is most likely to miss the barn door he's aiming at.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Hmm. Let me think. Barnes scored 20 goals in a promotion winning team. Stepped up to a higher level, and then another one when he left.
Skalak and Bong made significant contributions to a promotion winning team that, over 92 leagues games was as close to unbeatable as I have seen in the blue and white.

Any player who has worn the stripes in a promotion winning team is all right by me. Yes, that includes Leon Knight. Without exception they put in a shift. follow instructions and contribute. I just don't understand why Brighton fans need to slate anyone in that category.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just don't understand why Brighton fans need to slate anyone in that category.
Habit!

In 35 years Albion 'fans' have always needed someone to be disappointed by, at least this season they'll be no surprises who it is.

Possibly the clubs best ever manager and certainly it's most astute will select Skalak for games.
Instantly this place will be full of blowhards exclaiming:-

'WTF is Hughton doing' etc, completely oblivious as to how and why the team are playing a Premier league fixture.

During the game, on-line, everything with be Skalak's fault (Knockaert won't put a foot wrong)
At the AMEX obviously it won't be that bad, but the atmosphere will be muted.

After the game we'll have to put up with the 'get rid' 'I'll drive him' brigade.

Then to ice the cake after a MotM performance we'll have to endure 'he never once beat their full back', 'he isn't a winger', 'he isn't strong enough'.

Tell me I'm lying, as we wait for someone to post 'MotM performance, don't make me laugh'.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Every manager Barnes has played for has rated him. Plymouth were gutted to lose him, he was an ever-present for us, and he's now played 92 games for Burnley. That's good enough for me!

Skalak was superb in his first spell, once he got match-fit. Something went wrong for him at the World Cup - he arrived back out of shape and form, and with Knockers, Murph and Solly in such good form, never really got the chance to get it back.

I think he could make a big difference this year with his crosses and set-piece delivery - those brilliant 'on the break' team goals are going to be a lot harder against PL defences...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here