Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inmates on death row

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you mean the licensee was the lifer x2?

If that's how I read it he would never have been granted a license or to have anything to do with a public house as deemed by a probation officer.

No it was a customer and to answer your question it is possible to hold a licence with a criminal conviction and even having been in prison depending on what the crime was. So it is wrong for a probation officer to say otherwise, if that is what you are saying not sure that a life sentence would be acceptable though.

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I have a friend who was asked to be a 44-year-old convict's witness at his execution in Texas. When he was executed on March 7th of this year, he had been on death row for 22 years after three years in regular jail. He went through the 'last days' ritual more than once in that time. When he was in his teens and a desperate drug addict, he was guilty of being hired to kill someone's wife. No doubt he did it. But after 25 years in prison, his execution didn't serve as a deterrent to anyone. He was a completely reformed character who by then had matured and was free of drugs. His death couldn't bring back his victim. No good came from his state-approved murder. Serving a full life sentence in a Texas prison would hardly have been a soft option.

Rest in peace, Rolando Ruiz.

Screen-Shot-2017-03-05-at-10.47.25-PM.png

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Agree with much of that but there is the assumption that all murderers have a conscience, which I doubt. I expect some of them enjoy the notoriety and life in prison. Length of 'life' sentences is also an issue plus there are very exceptional cases. I have little doubt that Bin Laden was executed which was entirely justifiable in my view.

You assume a lifetime of having your actions on your conscience. What if they don't ? If you accidently killed someone you would, as would most inluding me, but I'm sure some who deliberately kill won't.

I would suggest that the number of criminals that are so morally bankrupt, they would feel no remorse for murder is a tiny tiny percentage. If we're going to base our criminal justice system on the behavior of the very worst offenders then we're all screwed. They are an exception and should be treated such, however I don't believe that should extend to corporal punishment.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have a friend who was asked to be a 44-year-old convict's witness at his execution in Texas. When he was executed on March 7th of this year, he had been on death row for 22 years after three years in regular jail. He went through the 'last days' ritual more than once in that time. When he was in his teens and a desperate drug addict, he was guilty of being hired to kill someone's wife. No doubt he did it. But after 25 years in prison, his execution didn't serve as a deterrent to anyone. He was a completely reformed character who by then had matured and was free of drugs. His death couldn't bring back his victim. No good came from his state-approved murder. Serving a full life sentence in a Texas prison would hardly have been a soft option.

Rest in peace, Rolando Ruiz.

Screen-Shot-2017-03-05-at-10.47.25-PM.png
The man you have sympathy for shot this woman in the head. That is someones daughter/ mother ?

Can't get my head around your thinking mate. Reformed or not. He was an adult at 20. I agree about the death penalty isn't a deterrent. But to say "rest in peace" for what this scumbag did ? I couldn't personally.

1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Ronald R Phillips.
no late reprieve this time..........executed today by lethal injection

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'll start off then.

The death penalty should be abolished world wide. It's not a deterrent to crime. If we are focusing on the punishment aspect of criminal sentences, then psychologically the 24 hours prior to execution will be easier to deal with then a lifetime of having your actions on your conscience.

And where does it stop? We've already said death penalty for murder. Manslaughter as well? Illegal drugs can kill so that's drug dealers receiving the death penalty. Death by dangerous driving. Add that to the list as well. What about the developer that signed off the cladding at Grenfell? Corporate manslaughter. Lets add them to the list too. Ah, that corner shop owner that sells several litres of vodka to the bloke next door who dies from alcohol related illness. They can go too.
How can you quantify the people that have been deterred ?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I've always promised myself if ever I have the six months to live conversation with My doctor all sorts of shit will be removed from the streets of Sussex,nonces,scum that are cruel to animals,drink drivers,drug dealers that get lenient sentences,all far game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm against the death penalty for two main reasons: It doesn't act as a deterrent and if taking a life is wrong then it's wrong also for the legal system to take a life.

My reasons for not supporting the death penalty are not out of any pity for the perpetrators of horrendous crimes but these

The evidence on it being a deterrent is unconvincing. I know that other economic and social factors apply but crime statistics of US states with the death penalty provide little support for it.

It brutalises and compromises the whole judicial process and those working in it. Lawyers and jurors will know that their actions and decisions could lead to an execution which may actually lead to the setting a higher bar when it comes to reasonable doubt. The process needs to be dispassionate and objective and I can't see how I could approach being a juror in this way if my decision could lead to a loss of life. Think also of those carrying out the execution which will never be completely clean and clinical; is that a job anyone should be doing in a civilised society?

We all know that access to better legal representation will make a substantial difference to outcomes which will mean that the poorer you are the more likely that you will die.

A final one is the obvious point that it is irreversible if further evidence comes to light.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here