Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baker Street: Brighton's Best Kept Secret?

not sure, but Steve Ovett's foot is in Preston Park :smile:

If one thing sums up the greatness of Brighton to me, it's that

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I go to Coombs for my goldfish. I bought 4 over seven years ago, one died earlier this year, but the other three are still going strong.

Got my first ever goldfish from Coombs. Really intelligent fish. So much so, I taught him to say his own name. Sadly been dead a few years now. I really miss Bob.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMHO the best stall in the Open Market is Ovetts bacon and cheese.

Love Ovett's. Go there a couple of times a week. Half a dozen jumbo eggs for 90 pence. Big slab of brie or tub of camembert for a quid or less. Somtimes there's odd Lidl-style random additions, like a couple of months ago when they'd somehow acquired a couple of dozen BFG litre bottles of remoulade. Have to confess that I had no idea what it was (and they didn't seem to have much idea either) but took a £1.50 punt on a bottle. Lovely it was! Then across the market to Mears for cheap and seasonal fruit and veg. Tremendous value. None of that 'ripen in bowl' nonsense with the fruit, has to be eaten within a day or two at the most.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
not sure, but Steve Ovett's foot is in Preston Park :smile:

Steve in his PRIME :albion:

Stevie.jpg

Alas, nowadays poor Steve hasn't a leg to stand on :down:

Stevie RIP 300808 006.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Love Ovett's. Go there a couple of times a week. Half a dozen jumbo eggs for 90 pence. Big slab of brie or tub of camembert for a quid or less. Somtimes there's odd Lidl-style random additions, like a couple of months ago when they'd somehow acquired a couple of dozen BFG litre bottles of remoulade. Have to confess that I had no idea what it was (and they didn't seem to have much idea either) but took a £1.50 punt on a bottle. Lovely it was! Then across the market to Mears for cheap and seasonal fruit and veg. Tremendous value. None of that 'ripen in bowl' nonsense with the fruit, has to be eaten within a day or two at the most.

I go to Mears as well - great value. I'm go to Jason's rather than Ovett's for my eggs and cheese. It's equally cheap and the extra strong cheddar blows your head off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Suddenly struck me today as I was leaving Bangers pie shop with two hearty chicken 'n' mushroom pies AND a serious sausage roll AND change from a fiver, what an absolute quality street is Baker Street.
Today was our second visit to Baker St, since this thread.
The last time was a Monday when Bangers was closed, so today we returned and I'm very pleased I'm able to retain such important knowledge as 'pie talk'.

My steak pie was great, dare I say ...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I would assume that they sell other tropical fish as well as we usually buy ours at the garden centre in Hassocks but they dont seem to last very long.

They do sell tropical fish but we've only ever kept cold water fish. Our remaining three fish are approx 5 years old.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They do sell tropical fish but we've only ever kept cold water fish. Our remaining three fish are approx 5 years old.

Next time we are in the area will go and have a look. Wife likes different coloured Barbs but those we get from Hassocks only last about 12 months and I dont know if that is usual or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here