Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spending Obscene Amounts of Money Does Not Guarantee Success

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I know we're mostly concerned about our summer transfer window spending but does the amount of money spent translate into success.

I prefer the Albion way of doing things ie buying value players who fit into the team ethic of #together and playing as a team with great spirit.

I really do find (as a polar opposite) the Manchester City way (other clubs fit that bill but City are an extreme example) to be somewhat repugnant. Ok they have money to burn ((not green-eyed) but spending vast sums of cash does not guarantee success and whilst most people think that it should - if they fall down - we can mostly laugh at their failure. Most people will be expecting spending to equal success. They should but I'm doubtful.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...n-mendy-five-year-contract-200m-a7855441.html

Manchester City have taken their summer spending on full backs to £76.5m so far with the signing of Danilo from Real Madrid confirmed on Sunday.

The right-back joined for a reported £26.5m and signed a five-year deal to compete with Kyle Walker, who joined from Tottenham last week for £50m.

The 26-year-old can play in both full-back roles as well as midfield, but struggled to make an impact at Real and will meet up with his new teammates on their preseason tour of the United States.

"There was interest from other clubs, but it has always been my ambition to play for Pep Guardiola," he said.

"Danilo is a fine player who offers great versatility," said City director of football Txiki Begiristain.

"He can operate in several different roles in both defence and midfield, increasing Pep's options ahead of the new season."

Danilo is likely to be joined by Monaco left-back Benjamin Mendy imminently after the two clubs agreed a £53m deal which would see City’s spending soar past £200m, with £127m of that on three new full-backs.

Guardiola is looking to mould the squad in his image and has already made wholesale changed to his squad from last season with Bernardo Silva and Ederson Morales arriving at the Etihad already.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have never been able to get my head round the vast amounts of cash spent in the Prem., and in a way, that is why I think the rest of league holds rather more interest for me.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It does.

Look at Man City and Chelsea. If you don't spend much then you don't win much either see Arsenal. Leicester was a fluke.

So far we have spent bugger all and must be firm favorites to go down. The squad isn't good enough to stay up at the moment.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Of course the money being spent is obscene but they feel that it is justified in their need to guarantee a top four finish which generates the money that they need to maintain their top four place, etc etc.

The money needed for a decent striker, once found, will be obscene too and with no guarantee that he will be a success.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
City, Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs are up the top year after year as they are the biggest spenders.

Clubs with the less talented (cheaper) players, typically go down.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Conversely not spending vast amounts of money does not guarantee failure. But, in relative terms, spending next to nothing does make failure more likely (eg Derby, Blackpool).

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Spending Obscene Amounts of Money Does Not Guarantee Success !!!

But it certainly helps.!!!!!!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Trouble is if SMALL clubs spend £32million on strikers like Benteke it doesn't work out so you're better off not competing at that level now

I think without Benteke's 17 goals last season Palace would have gone down, so they were better off spending £30 million !

You do have to spend obscene amounts to stay in the Prem I am afraid...mind you every club is given obscene amounts for that very purpose.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
City, Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs are up the top year after year as they are the biggest spenders.

Don't Spurs have a transfer profit over the last 5 years? They buy and sell particularly well.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

While Spurs might be up there in terms of transfer fees, their wage billl has only just started to creep over the £100 million mark. The rest of the top 6 have been regularly spending a lot more than that in wages.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here