Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zaha upset

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Racism is a huge issue on social media.

Kids, younger people and those desperate for attention, are easily able to get it by casually throwing out racist insults, behind a keyboard.

If anything, racism has most likely increased 10+fold since the dawn of social media.

Many people so desperately crave attention, the easiest way to do it is by being outrageous or vicious, with very little chance of repercussion.

It'll be here for a long time yet, unfortunately.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

Kids, younger people and those desperate for attention, are easily able to get it by casually throwing out racist insults, behind a keyboard.

If anything, racism has most likely increased 10+fold since the dawn of social media.

Many people so desperately crave attention, the easiest way to do it is by being outrageous or vicious, with very little chance of repercussion.

It'll be here for a long time yet, unfortunately.

In fairness, peoples attitudes on social media in general are pretty bad. Certain situations seem to attract the morons that want to racially abuse footballers or make death threats to politicians (mainly female) or GOSH doctors and nurses. The fact that people can make as many accounts as they wish doesn't help. Someone can make a brand new gmail account, use that to register a brand new twitter account and then abuse all and sundry.

Police numbers are being slashed therefore it takes longer to investigate the serious incidents. The social media platforms don't seem to want to put the effort in to stop it or assist the police in stopping it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
In fairness, peoples attitudes on social media in general are pretty bad. Certain situations seem to attract the morons that want to racially abuse footballers or make death threats to politicians (mainly female) or GOSH doctors and nurses. The fact that people can make as many accounts as they wish doesn't help. Someone can make a brand new gmail account, use that to register a brand new twitter account and then abuse all and sundry.

Police numbers are being slashed therefore it takes longer to investigate the serious incidents. The social media platforms don't seem to want to put the effort in to stop it or assist the police in stopping it.

I can imagine in a few years time, governments will force social media sites to properly police their service.
It's a huge job obviously, but the internet and social media is totally unsupervised and full of horrible, horrible people, full-on racism, sexism, homophobia etc.

Go on any big YouTube channel and scroll through the comments.
Same with Twitter, FB and Instagram.

People get away with it. Post horrible comment, get a reaction and attention, repeat etc.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

I often go on to LiveLeak as there are some interesting videos on there.

In the comments section, LIVELEAK (which I believe is British) has a disclaimer - Liveleak opposes racial slurs - if you do spot comments that fall into this category, please report them for us to review.

Nearly every comment is Racist on it, be it from American, British. Australian, Swedish posters etc.

I don't think a comment has ever been deleted for racism. I haven't registered, so I don't comment but the hatred of others does make me squirm.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
When I read the thread title, I hoped it would give me another chance to have a popat my least favourite player. Instead I find myself in the unusual position of feeling sympathy. That's a first, racism is completely indefensible.

Agreed awful thing to say ,palace fans in uproar ,but were all gay boys bum bandits ect ,maybe palace fans can stop that ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I thought they were still sending him videos of the Watford mascot, which was the last time he got upset.

No excuse for this behaviour though

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Any decent football fan ,and there are a lot of them , regardless of what team they support would find that indefensible and very sad .

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He's a cheat, playing for a small 7 year old club, in a soon to be condemned stadium.

Doesn't deserve this abuse though, racism has no place in football (or anywhere for that matter.)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just watching a documentary on Channel 4 about police dealing with the rise of racism in Wiltshire. In the last sequence, a teenage row had escalated, culminating in one lad calling another "The P-word" and the police being called.

In the 'talking head' sequence that followed, the attending police officer said, "He called him the 'P-word' and so to be fair he has every right to be upset. He's from Morocco."

It was like watching a David Brent piece :facepalm:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
To be fair, I'd be pretty f**cking upset if a bunch of no-name oxygen thieves were throwing racist epithets at me.

Fair play to him for calling it out. Not only is he standing up for himself, like a man, he's also bringing national attention to a heinous problem which still persists in football and society in general.

were the racist comments not made by asian fans .....chinese , thai....?? you seem to think that racism is an English problem ......it definitely isn't........my mate Dean got all sorts of crap from indonesians on a recent golf trip ......." black monkey" despite being racist is a bloody ridiculous thing to say imho.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Other than calling him a black monkey were there other comments or is that the racist remark?

Only if someone called me a white pig I couldn't see or take that as being a racist comment.

Welcome to the world in 2017, where people will dissect the term 'Black Monkey' to try and claim it's not racist.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
were the racist comments not made by asian fans .....chinese , thai....?? you seem to think that racism is an English problem ......it definitely isn't........my mate Dean got all sorts of crap from indonesians on a recent golf trip ......." black monkey" despite being racist is a bloody ridiculous thing to say imho.

Not sure how you've reached the conclusion that I believe racism to be an English problem. It isn't. It's global, humanity wide.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
The funniest bit of the whole story was when they wrote

"Ivory Coast international"

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Welcome to the world in 2017, where people will dissect the term 'Black Monkey' to try and claim it's not racist.

And also say anything to get a like....

Can I have a like for that? Top cynicism. For those that don't like or get that, fear not. I'll apologise shortly and be less direct with my cynicism in the future.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not sure how you've reached the conclusion that I believe racism to be an English problem. It isn't. It's global, humanity wide.

yes indeedy.....black people hate white people too....indonesians hate white people , philippino's hate white people , arabs hate white people as well.......:thumbsup:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
yes indeedy.....black people hate white people too....indonesians hate white people , philippino's hate white people , arabs hate white people as well.......:thumbsup:

I think we're agreeing that racism is a problem amongst all cultures? Except you seem to be inferring that white people get more hate than most. Which some could argue is fair enough given our history of going to far off lands, conquering them and either eradicating or enslaving the native population.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think we're agreeing that racism is a problem amongst all cultures? Except you seem to be inferring that white people get more hate than most. Which some could argue is fair enough given our history of going to far off lands, conquering them and either eradicating or enslaving the native population.

no doubt .....so in this instance are we calling spanish , french , portugese , dutch , belgians & krauts white ....because some of them are and some of them aren't ........it seems that if you have a bit of colour then you are hunky dory but it you are lilly white you are a bit of shit......even though the spanish and the portugese were just as aggressive in their colonial activities it seems that the dear old english prick is the focus of all discontent......which is in my opinion ....a load of bollox.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here