• Lidl

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Aldi

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I project managed most of the 21 Aldi store fitouts that opened here in WA last year and although the initial explosion petered out, the customers are gradually going back again.
Their range of organic and gluten free products is great and they don't charge through the nose for them.
I pop in there often to get things, my wife and youngest are going back to England for 5 weeks soon and I shall be getting my fresh stuff from my local IGA which is good value, locally grown and the rest from Aldi, though the double handling at the checkout is a pain.
No Lidl stores here to compare it with here I'm afraid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aldi is a fookin revelation to me, I'm rather evangelical about them.
I now have no idea why anyone would shop at one of the 'big' supermarkets, you're basically just spending twice as much for the same stuff.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I go to Lidls as it is local, but sometimes make a foray to Aldi, in Lewes, when they get cycling gear in.
I would say they were very similar.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I havnt shopped in Aldi but have done a couple of times in Lidl as i like the different sweets they offer, i can see the attraction though across the board.
But checking the Lidl labels shows its mostly non branded goods from various industrial estates across the UK and N Ireland, the main supermarkets do this as well of course Quality wise does their non branded products match non branded products in the other supermarkets. And are the non branded products cheaper in lidl than non branded in the others. I remain to be convinced on the latter

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I havnt shopped in Aldi but have done a couple of times in Lidl as i like the different sweets they offer, i can see the attraction though across the board.
But checking the Lidl labels shows its mostly non branded goods from various industrial estates across the UK and N Ireland, the main supermarkets do this as well of course Quality wise does their non branded products match non branded products in the other supermarkets. And are the non branded products cheaper in lidl than non branded in the others. I remain to be convinced on the latter

Shopping at Aldi instead of Sainos has all but halved my weekly bill.
Sure there's been a few dud buys along the way, but now I'm in the swing of it I'll never go back to Sainos/Tesco et al.

My bill is always less than £1 per item, with no noticeable change in quality.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Shopping at Aldi instead of Sainos has all but halved my weekly bill.
Sure there's been a few dud buys along the way, but now I'm in the swing of it I'll never go back to Sainos/Tesco et al.

My bill is always less than £1 per item, with no noticeable change in quality.

Are you buying the non branded goods at aldi v branded goods at the others, i could easily understand the drop in the weekly shop price. I havnt done aldi so dont know if they do branded goods cheaper. Lidl is mostly non branded though......i was more interested if the quality and price matches across non branded goods

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If in Burgess Hill we use LIDL the only complaint being the time it takes to get through the check out but if in Brighton use ALDI London Rd but the same check out problems.

Their till areas are designed for the trolley to fit in so that you put the goods back into the trolley and not in your bags then take the trolley to the side to put the goods in you own bags. If everybody did that there would no hold ups at the checkouts. I do not think there is much difference in the products although a top chef once told me he uses LIDL for fresh veg as it is by far the best and freshest of all the supermarkets including Waitrose and Sainsburys

It's quite unusual for a "top chef" to buy their produce at any supermarket, precisely because they can get it fresher from other sources.

I like both but I think Aldi just has the edge really hard to see any differance

Same here. Huge Lidl fan with no Aldi nearby. On the rare occasions I have visited Aldi my perception is they are slightly better. Echo comments about their value and quality, addicted to their ob chocolate "hobnobs", around a third the cost of the "real" thing and just as good.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's quite unusual for a "top chef" to buy their produce at any supermarket, precisely because they can get it fresher from other sources.

Any top chef worth his salt would also have a reputable buying chain of suppliers where the quality of the goods would be instrumental in the continued business of the supplier. There is also the extra cost of buggering off to the supermarket to buy your goods for a couple of hours against them being delivered to your front door. Wasted unnecessary time if you are running a top catering establishment

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Any top chef worth his salt would also have a reputable buying chain of suppliers where the quality of the goods would be instrumental in the continued business of the supplier. There is also the extra cost of buggering off to the supermarket to buy your goods for a couple of hours against them being delivered to your front door. Wasted unnecessary time if you are running a top catering establishment

Well, quite.

Oct 25, 2003
surely it depends which one is nearer your house? when I lived in Hanover I'd go to the London Road Aldi. When I lived in Shoreham I used the Shoreham Lidl, and now I'm in Kemp Town it's all about the Kemp Town Lidl. Ive not found a HUGE difference between the two if I'm honest

Oct 25, 2003
Got accused of shoplifting a prawn sandwich at the Eastbourne aldi this week the cashier saw a empty wrapper In my trolley said pass I here I will scan it I said it was not mine She said you ate it didn't you four times I she asked Four times I said no All the time the rest of the queue looking a me Her turning looking at them As much to say he did She then turned to my 12 year old son And said he ate It didn't he My self smiled She said see looking at the queue At which point I swore she said no need to swear I said fxxxoff paid my bill And left Thought about it in car park went back in and aske dto see manager told him what had happened demanded he looks at cctv Anyway after a hour he came back with a bottle of wine and said sorry I then realised that I had been there two hours So said i will get a parking ticket He said no problem when you get it bring it in and we will cancel it I wont be going back there in a hurry

was the sandwich nice though?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you buying the non branded goods at aldi v branded goods at the others, i could easily understand the drop in the weekly shop price. I havnt done aldi so dont know if they do branded goods cheaper. Lidl is mostly non branded though......i was more interested if the quality and price matches across non branded goods
No not really, generally my sainos shopping was non brand but not budget, with branded half price 'bargains' thrown in.

At Aldi I still stay away from budget, as said I've bought a few too good to be true bargains, that weren't, but have completely done away with branded items. They pretty much stand out as a rarity anyway.

A major factor in my bill is that I'm shopping for a household containing 2 approaching teenage children.
One of whom could 'locust' the house in minutes if left to his own devises, so for the next few years quantity will always win out of quality, but the quality is great anyway.

I'll not be going back, as said (as you can see) I'm now somewhat evangelical about the place. I'm a sad man.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think Aldi wins on price, it has also done more to anglicise it's range.
Lidl for me edges it on quality and I also like the weird and wonderful stuff that passes through as the have food promotions from different countries.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No not really, generally my sainos shopping was non brand but not budget, with branded half price 'bargains' thrown in.

At Aldi I still stay away from budget, as said I've bought a few too good to be true bargains, that weren't, but have completely done away with branded items. They pretty much stand out as a rarity anyway.

A major factor in my bill is that I'm shopping for a household containing 2 approaching teenage children.
One of whom could 'locust' the house in minutes if left to his own devises, so for the next few years quantity will always win out of quality, but the quality is great anyway.

I'll not be going back, as said (as you can see) I'm now somewhat evangelical about the place. I'm a sad man.

That is interesting
Im someone who is moving further away from well known branded products and have been buying supermarket " own products" for a while now.
No way am i buying anything but heinz salad cream though no one matches the taste.

Might have to look into aldi if their own products are a superior price match and equal quality supermarket own

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here