Lidl or Aldi

• Lidl

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Aldi

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
No not really, generally my sainos shopping was non brand but not budget, with branded half price 'bargains' thrown in.

At Aldi I still stay away from budget, as said I've bought a few too good to be true bargains, that weren't, but have completely done away with branded items. They pretty much stand out as a rarity anyway.

A major factor in my bill is that I'm shopping for a household containing 2 approaching teenage children.
One of whom could 'locust' the house in minutes if left to his own devises, so for the next few years quantity will always win out of quality, but the quality is great anyway.

I'll not be going back, as said (as you can see) I'm now somewhat evangelical about the place. I'm a sad man.

As am I.

Most weeks I shop for just myself, but on the odd occasion i've done a weekly shop for my parents they have been amazed at the difference in price and often find the quality better too.

It's not an overly enjoyable experience, but it's fantastic value compared to the main supermarkets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It did take me longer than it probably should to realise similar products like, sliced chicken, ham & turkey, come in the same outer box.

So if the one you want isn't there you have to channel your inner 'American Picker' to find a pack further back on the shelf. :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I find that the quality of stuff in Waitrose is generally excellent, and that the modest price premium is more than compensated by the quality of the customer experience. I speak only for my local branch, but their recruitment and staff training is very clearly FAR superior to any of the other supermarket chains. They pay enough staff, so that you never queue more than a minute or so, and the staff are unfailingly polite and cheerful (and most often blonde with pony-tails). I'd pay a higher premium frankly.

I don't 'snigger' at those who choose instead, to fight over dented tins out of cardboard boxes on the floor, and then queue for 20 minutes at the one open checkout in Lidl or Aldi, though. Each to their own.

I shop in Lidls (and Morrisons) every week. Not once, in years, have I ever got a dented tin out of a cardboard box, nor a decent tin, for that matter.
Lidls and Aldi are German based, and the Germans don't sell rubbish.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I shop in Lidls (and Morrisons) every week. Not once, in years, have I ever got a tin out of a cardboard box.

Your local Lidl clearly operates differently to every single one I've ever been into, then.

But I note, you didn't bother to try to deny the massive queues. That is the primary reason I'll never shop there. It's downright disrespectful to your customers to expect them to wait so long for the privilege of handing over their money.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Went as an add-on to a large family group to Lanzarote (Arrecife) just before Christmas two years back. A bottle of Cava from Lidl was insanely cheap at less than two Euros a pop. That was breakfast taken care of :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your local Lidl clearly operates differently to every single one I've ever been into, then.

But I note, you didn't bother to try to deny the massive queues. That is the primary reason I'll never shop there. It's downright disrespectful to your customers to expect them to wait so long for the privilege of handing over their money.

It depends when you go, and being retired, I can choose. Having said that, we have six tills in our local shop, and they are quick to open them all up, when it gets busy.

I have also used the Lidls, in St Jean de Monts, when on holiday in France. They're popular over there, too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Went as an add-on to a large family group to Lanzarote (Arrecife) just before Christmas two years back. A bottle of Cava from Lidl was insanely cheap at less than two Euros a pop. That was breakfast taken care of :thumbsup:

Ah - I think this thread is exclusively about Lidl / Aldi HERE.

They seem completely different elsewhere. Quite happy to shop at either on the continent. Even in Ireland, the Aldi shopping experience is aimed at a higher level than here.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
From the comments on that survey: "I love Sainsburys, It keeps the "riff-raff" out of Waitrose."

Corroborates my point about Waitrose shoppers :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The London Road Aldi's till operatives work at lightning speed - 'we're timed'. Remember that sketch in Harry Enfield where Waynetta Slob is working on a supermarket check out and ends up throwing the items through the barcode? That quick.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The London Road Aldi's till operatives work at lightning speed - 'we're timed'. Remember that sketch in Harry Enfield where Waynetta Slob is working on a supermarket check out and ends up throwing the items through the barcode? That quick.

My experiences have not been an issue with the actual staff, just that they refuse to pay ENOUGH of them. Absolutely nobody on the shop floor to help customers, and never enough on check-outs. No word of a lie - the last THREE times I have tried to buy anything from either chain, I've ended up abandoning my basket and walking out.

Life is too short.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Never shopped at either.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Only shopped at Lidl. So nice to walk around choosing stuff without even looking at the prices knowing you're not going to get ripped off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to the Mid Sussex times. 2019.

It's going to be a big job, replacing the Gas holder and granting road access.
Weirdly, it's started..... site hut installed yesterday, digger now arrived.....(pic lifted from a mate on Facebook)

9a93da4fef69ab8a46dcb7667c974f4b.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here