Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT New road being off A27 at Lyons farm?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
So I drove over Bostal road between the A27 near Lyons farm and Steyning for the first time in a while the other day.

It looked like a road was being built across the downs heading towards Lyons farm in the south west direction and towards the cement works in the north east.

Anyone know what this is about?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So I drove over Bostal road between the A27 near Lyons farm and Steyning for the first time in a while the other day.

It looked like a road was being built across the downs heading towards Lyons farm in the south west direction and towards the cement works in the north east.

Anyone know what this is about?

Probably the cabling for the offshore wind farm - big scar on the landscape that goes up past the Youth Hostel on Truleigh Hill. Should be fully restored to 'Downland' once completed.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Hopefully, they'll just leave it as chalk so that it can regenerate itself with wild flower seed that will blow in and colonize. It takes a three or so years for the chalk to green up, but ecologically, well worth the wait.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hopefully, they'll just leave it as chalk so that it can regenerate itself with wild flower seed that will blow in and colonize. It takes a three or so years for the chalk to green up, but ecologically, well worth the wait.

Someone told me that they'd taken turf from the cabling route to Kew, where they are cultivating more of it to restore all the disturbed Downland to it's prior state. Don't know if this is true but given the national park status it might be.

Edit - some reference in here about 'restoring to original'

http://www.sussexramblers.org.uk/rampion3.pdf

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Someone told me that they'd taken turf from the cabling route to Kew, where they are cultivating more of it to restore all the disturbed Downland to it's prior state. Don't know if this is true but given the national park status it might be.

That's another way of doing it, albeit incredibly expensive. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages, but as Weststander says, as long as they don't bring in a load of quality top-soil and sacks of ordinary grass seed, that will be fine.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's another way of doing it, albeit incredibly expensive. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages, but as Weststander says, as long as they don't bring in a load of quality top-soil and sacks of ordinary grass seed, that will be fine.

:thumbsup:

Hopefully independent ecologists working for SDNP (not the elec company's own consultants) see this through to the end, to ensure that flora native to the Sussex South Downs prevails.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It says in the link that dazzer6666 posted, that they will be using top soil and seed! All they need to do is contour the chalk/subsoil currently in situ and mow and collect the grass cuttings from the immediate area in the autumn, and spread it over the prepared area (Green-haying). The wildflower seeds present in the mowings would then grow, being exactly the ones that are present there. Total local provenance. Costs next to nothing.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
They put in huge gas pipes between Findon and Washington, quite a few years ago, it was a huge scar on the landscape about fifty yards wide, just north of Windlesham school. Quite an outcry at the time,but, being in a less environmentally conscious time, the land was left to heal itself.

You can't tell where the work took place now, completely reverted back to how it was.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They put in huge gas pipes between Findon and Washington, quite a few years ago, it was a huge scar on the landscape about fifty yards wide, just north of Windlesham school. Quite an outcry at the time,but, being in a less environmentally conscious time, the land was left to heal itself.

You can't tell where the work took place now, completely reverted back to how it was.
so there's hope for Croydon yet:whistle:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having taken the name for the project from the Pride of Sussex, Phyteuma orbiculare, it would be a shame if the project did not allow it to revert to natural Downland.

I was against the temporary road being cut but have enjoyed seeing it from various points looking like an old chalk trail in a Ravilious painting. Better than the permanent industrial pig farm above Botolph's.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having taken the name for the project from the Pride of Sussex, Phyteuma orbiculare, it would be a shame if the project did not allow it to revert to natural Downland.

I was against the temporary road being cut but have enjoyed seeing it from various points looking like an old chalk trail in a Ravilious painting. Better than the permanent industrial pig farm above Botolph's.

O/T for this thread but I've ran through that farm dozens of times on the SDW - in a nice twist the owner (must be in his 50s) did the SDW100 this year............

Agree with you on the appearance - it's looked like an extra-large SDW track for months, could have been a lot worse. Blended in OK for the most part.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here